Hitman: Absolution - the craggy thread

Mr. Gerbik

The people over the last few pages calling it shit etc, who's played it and who hasn't? And no, this is not a "if you've not played it you can't comment" post I'm just curious.

Only up until Chinatown. I didn't get a chance to go further as it was my friends copy (like I would buy it!)- but I have it on my rental list so will carry on with it soon. I've not called it shit to be fair though, I've just obviously not happy with the new direction and think it is a shit hitman game. A shitman game.

I might try and trade in the sniper thing, buy sonic and get blood money from ebay or something then come back to this when it's about 20 quid.

Right old shame that not only is it not Hitman, it's not even that good a splinter cell game, or even as good as max Payne 3.

I know it's it not nice to say but I do hope it doesn't sell well although it is a pity they probably won't see 2nd hand sales in Blood Money rising in protest...

God.

Well, it looks nice. And the fiberwire has one massive improvement, after garotting some fool you can immediately start dragging the body using the wire itself instead of dropping it.

Other than that.. man seeing 47 sneaking about like Samuel Fisher and taking cover and vaulting over said cover... that will take some getting used to.

Also, respawning enemies when you reload a checkpoint in a fricking stealth game is the stupidest, dumbest, most braindead design decision I've seen in a game this entire generation. I'm not exaggerating. Never mind that the Hitman series is now suddenly all about sneaking, making it a different genre altogether, they get the most basic fundamental aspect of a stealth game completely wrong. It's so basic and fundamental that I never even imagined it could go wrong. In fact, I don't remember a single stealth game ever in the history of videogames that did this wrong before. Even Velvet Assassin did this right and that game is SHIT and CHEAP as fuck! Going for a perfect run in a stealth game which respawns all enemies each time you reload a checkpoint - woo-hoo isn't stealth fun, kids? God, assuming some of these bozos have made and seen a videogame before, getting this basic aspect wrong is like forgetting how to breathe because you're doing something else and can't concentrate on two things at once.

God, and I even went in with my expectations as low as they could possibly go. Nowhere to go but up, I thought.

After some of the positive impressions earlier in this thread from people who have already been playing it, I expect it to be at the very least enjoyable as a lite stealth game even if it it isn't really a Hitman game anymore. Let's hope the stealth mechanics magically improve later on. Or else there will be... trouble.

Edit: using Instinct in the Chinatown demo as a replacement for switching to 2D abstracted map worked really well. But using Instinct to sneak around with a wobbly cover-stealth mechanic makes a terrible first impression, it looks pretty bad.

I will give Absolution another go tomorrow morning.

Bah fucking game keeps crashing on me on PC, no idea why though. First the game starts and the picture is shifted to the right so the right hand side is off screen and the way I fix that is by going to task manager and out of it again. Then it plays for a short while and I get another crash. PC gaming :lol: Ah well it's at least the first PC game in ages to give me trouble so it had to happen sooner or later. Will look into it tomorrow, at least it's giving me a sign to sleep :lol:

EDIT - That's that sorted, some stupid 'Exclusive Fullscreen' option in the menu shitted everything up.

Only done the prologue but thought the stealth worked ok in that. Still not convinced by the new disguise system but I guess it will take time to get used to its quirks. Love how slick everything else is so far. Just started the King Of Chinatown level so looking forward to doing that tomorrow.

Well, the first two levels done. It's, er, shit.

I mean, I was expecting a decent stealth game, albeit one which misses the point of Hitman. Well, the second bit was spot on; the first, not so much. The problem is that the levels seem to have been designed with disguise in mind, in order to scope them out and plan your route... only the broken disguise system ruins that, making the game one of pure trial and error. Further emphasised by the scoring system, where a 'soft' trespass (i.e. one where you briefly step into an area and are immediately asked to leave) leads to immediate point docking.

Not to mention the fact that nobody cares about you sneaking about like a fucking lunatic in the middle of crowds, as long as you aren't wearing the wrong clothes.

On a more personal note, the stealth system bothers me by being far closer to Splinter Cell/Metal Gear Solid's tedious, timing- and jumping-between-waist-high-objects based system, with its heavily-linear approaches, rather than the Thief/DE/Tenchu/Dishonored approach of finding alternate routes and large-scale evasion and/or distraction. Even in the ostensibly 'open' levels like Chinatown. But that won't be a downside for everyone.

It also does that wonderful thing where some waist-high walls can be vaulted over, and others can't, for no apparent reason. Brilliant.

Worse than I'd anticipated. Which is saying something.

I played a level last night where I got a disguise that didn't raise any suspicion (apart from one small area where I wasn't allowed access). It was another tiny glimpse of what I wish the whole game was like, being able to explore freely and calmly without doing 47's knees in by crouching all the time.

Also, don't piss against electric fences, must remember that...

This game runs like absolute dogshit on the absolute lowest settings on my PC. For reference I run Skyrim at 1080p with pretty much everything maxed out other than shadows and AA. On the plus side it actually looks fairly decent with everything on low. Something doesn't seem right.

EDIT: I just did a benchmark thing and it ended up with an average of 10fps. That's after the benchmark ran at around 2 fps for 90% of the time. This is really annoying.

I hadn't heard about the PC Gamer problem, I guess I'd better read their review. It basically runs like absolute shit, stuttering and acting like I'm trying to play Crysis 5 on a Pentium 4 machine with 12kb RAM.

How do I verify the files? I just installed it right now after the pre-load, and it seemed to be downloading/installing something as it took about 10/20 minutes for it to actually install/play after I pressed play.

EDIT: Found how to verify files.

I hadn't heard about the PC Gamer problem, I guess I'd better read their review. It basically runs like absolute shit, stuttering and acting like I'm trying to play Crysis 5 on a Pentium 4 machine with 12kb RAM.

How do I verify the files? I just installed it right now after the pre-load, and it seemed to be downloading/installing something as it took about 10/20 minutes for it to actually install/play after I pressed play.

EDIT: Found how to verify files.

Well, it was mentioned in their initial version of the review but since it was patched before the game was released, they removed that particular bit of text from the version that is up on their site now.

Why do Krypto and Uzi have the same avatar? It's confusing on a quick skim, and, just why?

Edit: Or is it an iPad glitch?

Blame IO.

Uzi swapped his to mine out of respect I think?

Wiper - when you couldn't scale a wall were you using it as cover or just crouching by it?

The disguises for me didn't click until a few levels in, the only times it gets tricky is when there's a similar guard in a corridor you want to get by - it's best to scope out another route in that case (I had this issue in the Club but found an alternative route) I rarely use instinct now to be honest.

Why do Krypto and Uzi have the same avatar? It's confusing on a quick skim, and, just why?

One of them is an assassin in disguise, but he's aroused your suspicions now. This would never have happened if he'd only thought of hiding behind some waist-high topiary.

The headline and content of the article don't really tie up on that.

Nope, I guess not. The guy does seem to complain that the game would have been better, (graphically at least?) on next gen hardware, but the complaints here seem to be based on design decisions that don't seem to have been informed by hardware constraints. I found it quite interesting though that the devloper may not think the game is all it could be, but for different reasons than series' fans here.

Yeah, that was the only nugget I could get from the 'article' too. As you said the most criticism is from a design point of view. I've only heard compliments about how it looks etc.

Although he might mean they had to make linear levels due to the tech and if they had more oomph it would have being all sandbox levels rather than a couple?

Without the text of the interview it's all guesswork though.