The Shaman Thread

csuzw

I hit 80 late on my shaman and the other shaman in the guild was already picking up elemental gear for off spec so we figured it would be best if I went for enhancement stuff primarily. I also enjoyed levelling as enhancement. That said if I could go back I'd probably have prioritised elemental as it would have been cheaper and I prefer playing as ranged dps in raids (or at least I have a lot more experience of it anyway). My enhancement gear is significantly better than my elemental gear now (I'm not sure I've got any elemental +hit gear and it's not really for lack of trying).

Loving the dual spec, gone Resto (main) and Elemental. Did my first Thunderstorm off the Arathi Basin Lumber Mill cliff. Worth the 1000g alone. :D

Hehe, Thunderstorm is great fun! I loved kicking off epic geared level 80 players with 30k HP in Alterac Valley. Not as much fun when you started hunting you in the Field of Strife. ^_^

Love the elemental specc, respecced to elemental when I hit Outlands as level 58 and it is a great specc. You do crazy damage and have zero downtime. Must also say that I really like the new talents, especially the +20% damage on frost chock and the new elemental mastery. Instant Lava Burst and 4k frost chocks make me feel evil. :)

I've just hit 62 on my shammy, and specced elemental/resto.

Aiming to level as lolmental and do instances as resto to get some experience (never healed anything before ^_^ ) before mainspeccing resto at 80.

Any pointers on Glyphs for resto? Had a look on the AH last night, but nothing seemed to scream at me. Any pointers on shammy healing would also be welcome!

Resto Glyphs:

Only minor 1 that matters is Water Shield

Major glyphs depend a bit on what you'll be doing and who you're likely to group with. I'd normally take 2 that increase healing power and 1 that increases mana regen but by all means go for 3 healing power.

Healing power glyphs: Chain Heal is a given if you intend to do 25 man stuff and maybe 10 man. The new Earth Shield glyph is also very nice. If you're always going to be getting Blessing of Wisdom then Healing Stream is also a good glyph. Earthliving is ok but I wouldn't take it over Earth Shield (I think it only actually works out at ~1% extra chance to proc). I don't really rate Healing Wave or Lesser Healing Wave but they're not terrible, especially for 5 man content.

Mana regen glyphs: Only 2 choices - Water Mastery and Mana Tide. Water Mastery works out at ~30mp5 is slightly higher personal mana regen than Mana Tide. Mana Tide helps everyone in the group though.

I've just hit level 65 on my shaman, been levelling as enhancement for the past couple of weeks and am toying with going resto/enhance dual specs. I know the gear is completely different for the two specs, but goddamn it enhancement is just amazing fun with stormstrike and Windfury :(

Only problem is I havent specced into Resto at all yet, even for a playaround, so I pity the poor pug who gets me as a healer. I'm hoping my healing experience with a holy priest will help just a little bit.

:wub:

God Damn I got my ass kicked by a protection warrior in Wintergrasp yesterday. How the heck are you supposed to be able to do any damage? If it was bad enough that they have like a zillion hp, they can also lock you down like a prison guard from hell. Between stuns, shield bashes, charges and I don't know what, all I could do was to use my instants. If if kick him off with Tunderstorm in order to be able to land a Lava Burst I just get it sent right back in my face with spell reflect.

Frustrating.....

Almost 1900 spelldamage now though, with totem down, damn I'm starting to put some hurt out there. B) Just passed 9k with my Lava Burst.

I'm another that's jumped on the resto/ elemental Shaman dual spec. I'm slightly different in that I've only ever played my Shaman as resto, and my only other character was a BM Hunter so I'm pretty much nil on the DPS experience front. That said I've yet to even buy dual spec never mind actually even allocate points beyond a website.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#hAhVq0dItGfzAo0xxco:GkpcoM

That's my first stab at a spec, 57/14/0. In honesty I had no idea what was good, and what wasn't, did no research and just picked at random for what sounded nice. An ideal way of doing it I'm sure.

One thing worth mentioning is I don't intend to PvP in any form, this is solely for dungeons and questing... I think it looks about right, focusing on shorter cast, cheaper spells and crit.

After that there's two main areas that I'm uncertain about, glyphs and gear.

Thunderstorm knock back seems a PVP ability, getting ridding of players that have stunned me... basically knocking dungeon foes/ bosses back isn't actually wanted is it, because that'll force every other player to readjust their position

1. Glyphs were the main area of the confusion as there seem to be so many that are decent. These are what I'm looking at:

Major

Elemental mastery- I love nature swiftness as a healer, so having that plus a 15% crit increase cast reduction seems a cert.

Flame Shock- Having previously extended, increased and cheapened flame shock, to have it last longer and not cleared again seems ideal. To check, lava burst will still crit won't it, even if flame shock isn't cleared off?

Totem of wrath- a stronger totem that increases damage and crit? Sounds a winner!

2. Gear. http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xm...ing&n=Turzz

My current resto gear is pretty much ideal for elemental in terms that it regens, does spell damage and crits. However, I have no hit outside of one enchant... what's the best thing I should be looking out for to increase hit? Trinkets and ranged item seem the most obvious place to start as they're massively healer centric, but I haven't really come across hit gear that wasn't an upgrade for a main character.

As a resto, I should focus (relic and glyph wise) on group healing right?

Depends on what you're doing I'd say. If it's 25 man, definitely.

If it's dungeons and 10 mans, I prefer to use earth shield+ lesser heal, riptide and the occasional greater heal as it's been shortened by the tidal wave talent. Chain heal I trust more now than I did and has a place of use, but earth shield, riptide and either lesser heal/mana tide glyphs I'd say are more important if you're doing less than 25 man places.

Ok ill try and help with elemental side of things.

The priority of stats goes like this

Spellpower

Hit

Haste

Crit

Mana regen is worthless.

For a 25 man raid you need around 290 hit rating to be capped. Heroics is considerably less.

The Trinket from Violet Hold Heroic gives 73hit rating and is perfect if you cant get a Dying Curse.

For Glyps I use:

Lightingbolt

Flameshock

Lava

If you're low on Crit you might consider the Flametoungue glyph. I have yet to try Totem of wrath glpyh but im going to test it asap.

Always gem for what you need, 16hit gems are great when you lack decent hit gear. If you have decent enough base stats go all out on spellpower.

You can now buy Totem of Hex from the badge vendor and its easily the best in slot.

If anyone has any questions please ask!

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xm...mp;n=Gouk%C3%AD

Thats me of you want to look at my spec and gems

Can anyone give me a lil help.

I'm enhance and just off level 76 still wandering around in my epix from 70, I feel like 'im doing it wrong'

I know that more so now haste and attack power gear (leather or mail) is what I should be looking at with stamina etc, but there are v lil stuff apearing as rewards in quests that would make me drop my purples. Take e.g. of last night after wandering around questing for an hour or so all I got was a pl of greens the bonus were roughly the same as what I have currently but with less armor.

So anyone explain to me is it better sacrafice a lil bit of armor for a lil bit more on the item bonus stuff.

EDIT: Rattleloughi

Ha! Enhancement is impossible to plan for.. you know arguably the best enhancement weapon in the game was pre 3.1? It was this: Torch of Holy Fire

That's a healer mace.

Anyway, for generally stuff - levelling is so easy I'd wear whatever you happen to have to hand. Good gear probably doesn't start appearing till fairly late. Especially if you're doing 'green' quests or are in a zone below your level. I don't remember much good stuff until I was in Storm Peaks/Icecrown...

Not sure why but I'm finding mana a lot more of a problem since the patch. Previously in 10 mans with my current gear I really didn't struggle mana-wise. Patchwerk was the closest I came to OOM and even then I'd usually be on about 20% mana at end at worst.

Working on XT-002 (kill on last pull during enrage! :)) last night and at times I was having to be really conservative. On the actual kill attempt I didn't dare dps during the last heart phase and I went OOM just as he enraged. During the attempts if people were spread too much to make CH useful or something went slightly awry I found myself dangerously low early too. Other than the occasional use of CH when HW or LHW would have been better I felt I healed well. The only thing I can think of is that it's the spirit change but that can't have much effect especially when I'm probably not getting OO5SR very often. Perhaps I just need to find a better balance between aggression at the beginning of a fight and conservation at end. Either way I found XT-002 healing significantly more challenging than anything I've previously healed. At least by the end of the night the only deaths were to the occasional bad Light Bomb + Tantrum combo. Will be nice to get tanks geared up more though as there was some really nasty spiking at times (15.5k average hit on full epic ilvl200+some 213 prot warrior)

Not sure why but I'm finding mana a lot more of a problem since the patch.

Unless they added something new in 3.1 since I stopped paying attention you've lost about 100mp5 due to BoW and mana spring not stacking...

It's a possibility I hadn't considered, however we rarely get Blessing of Wisdom and I think there's a bug causing them to stack at the moment anyway. Definitely something to think about though as our paladin who is usually ret or prot usually gives us BoK I think but as holy may well have provided BoW (so I'd be missing the BoK intellect regen).

I've always found I've had infinite mana pools when I was elemental, but it was pushing it slightly when resto. IIRC they HAVE changed the rules re: mana, in that the amount of regen has been reduced by some figure like 40% for that based on int but I never got the impression that this would effect shaman much, as we have all that MP5 gear. Obviously it has!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42595 or http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42596 are still available? If not can anyone more experienced in PvP than me tell me how easy this: http://www.wowhead.com/?item=42597 is to get? If it's going to take more than 1 week of bad arena play I can't be bothered (frustratingly pre-Wrath I had more than enough points and rating for this but that's all wiped now)?

Ideally all totems (and sigils/idols/librams) should be available via both PvP and PvE means and not be on boss loot tables either. They affect play-style too much to be random or only available from 1 source and it's crap for non-relic classes to watch them drop repeatedly off bosses.

• 1 month later...

If I was to pimp out a shaman in Hierlooms, what would I go for?

Some of the shoulders seem fairly even, but I don't know what stats are best for the levelling enhancement shammy.

Doesn't seem to be a great weapon available either, unless I'm missing something.

Edit: I'm tempted to start one tonight for a bit of weekend slow levelling, but there is a high likelihood I'll just go fishing.

Assuming I had the badges and wanted to pimp out a levelling enhancement shaman I'd pick up Champion's Herod Shoulders, Swift Hand of Justice and Balanced Heartseeker. The dagger isn't great but you're unlikely to have anything better while levelling and it's a good offhand (as far as I'm aware offhand speed doesn't matter much for a enh shammy) even if you find a better MH.

3.2 changes:

• A customizable totem bar will now be available for shaman allowing the storing of 4 different totems. These totems can be placed on the ground at once in one global cooldown for the combined mana cost of all 4 totems.
  • All Shocks now have a default range of 25 yards, up from 20 yards.
  • Base health increased by approximately 7% to correct for shamans having lower health than other classes.
  • Chain Heal: Jump distance increased to 10 yards. In addition, the amount of healing now decreases by 40% as it jumps to each new target, instead of 50%.
  • Ghost Wolf: Can now be learned at level 16. While in this form, snaring effects may not bring the shaman below base normal run speed.

Talents:

Enhancement

• Shamanistic Rage: Cooldown is now 1 minute, down from 2 minutes. Successful melee attacks now have a chance to generate mana equal to 15% of the shaman's attack power, down from 30%.

Restoration

• Ancestral Healing: The buff from this ability now reduces the physical damage taken by the target by 3/7/10% instead of increasing the target's armor.
  • Cure Poison and Cure Disease: Combined into a single spell, Cure Toxins.
  • Earth Shield: Dispel effects will now remove charges of Earth Shield rather than the entire aura.
  • Healing Way: Redesigned. Rather than providing a chance of increasing Healing Wave spells on a friendly target, this talent now innately increases the effectiveness of the shaman's Healing Wave by 8/16/25%.
  • Mana Tide Totem: Totem health now equal to 10% of the shaman's health.
  • Nature's Guardian: Redesigned. Now has a fixed 100% proc rate, has a 30 second internal cooldown, and increases the shaman's maximum health by 3/6/9/12/15% for 10 seconds.
  • Nature's Swiftness: Cooldown is now 2 minutes, down from 3 minutes.
  • Tidal Waves: No longer reduces the cast time of Lesser Healing Wave by 30%. It instead now provides +25% critical strike chance to Lesser Healing Wave, along with the previous 30% cast time benefit to Healing Wave.
  • Improved Water Shield: This talent now has a 10/20/30% chance to be triggered by Chain Heal, and the charges of Water Shield are no longer consumed by this talent.

Changes all look pretty good so far.

I've been looking forward to 1 GCD totems for ages, the down time at the beginning of fights was just too much.

Chain heal is now much more on par with druid/priest AoE healing although it remains to be seen if this will just cause us to CH spam machines again.

Not sure what to make of the Ancestral Healing changes although it seems to be a common type of change across multiple classes. At first I thought it was a nice buff until I noticed it was still only physical damage.

NS change is fantastic as I tend to use it quite a bit.

Don't think the Healing Way change will have much effect but still a slight buff.

Tidal Waves is probably the most interesting change. With TW up HW will probably have a similar cast time to LHW but I think it'll still prove inferior. LHW will still be faster, have a significantly better chance of proccing Ancestral Healing and depending on your healing setup small heals are just as effective as large ones (I raid with a lot of holy paladins).

Imp. Water Shield change is fantastic, it's most likely to drop during intensive healing moments when mana is a concern and you don't have GCD to refresh.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know any useful macro's for controlling Spirit Wolves? I've always assumed when I summon them they default to attacking my current target, but the other week in Ulduar they ran off and started attacking someone else. Not sure if that's intended or not. Either way if I'm attacking something and summon them I'd like them to start attacking it too.. preferably without me having to worry about it.

Be quite nice if I could macro them into Bloodlust so I can ensure they are up in time to benefit from it..