The Shaman Thread

csuzw

My Shammy's only 71, but my understanding is that they're easy targets in pvp, and this is the most true for Enhancement specs. 3.2 will hopefully change this, but in the meantime it may be worth trying an Elemental or Resto pvp spec, if either of them float your boat.

I was absolutely owning folk in WSG as my 73 Shaman in the 70-79 Battlegroups.

He's in full Season 2 PvP gear as full Enhancement. So I'm assuming that gear would come into it, as when you hit 80 the health just shoots up as does the resilience.

You especially need a lot of health to withstand a Rogues / Paladins stun though tbh. First thing I do when I get opened on is Wolves straight up so I have some healing and damage coming in and out and then just try building up Maelstrom Weapon for a huge heal.

Also, Shamanistic Rage is amazing for going against melee. 30% less damage, yes plx.

A lot of it is gear, if you're just starting then chances are your opponents have a lot more health and resilience than you.

A pocket disciple priest would help.. other than that you need gear.

And 3.2

I think I've always just gone with slow / slow both with WF and high max damage.

Currently using the two created Dragonstrikes (only 73) so WF on both seems to be alright as a slow (lower damage) off-hand won't be eating all my Windfury's.

I thought the general consensus was that off hand speed doesn't really matter that much any more? If you use 2 slow it's double WF, if you use slow/fast it's WF/FT and the difference is negligible assuming similar level weapons. Or has this changed again recently? (I'm almost never enhancement these days so really just curious)

paraphrasing because I'm too lazy to go double check..

Slow/Slow's been preferred since 3.1 as they made flametongue scale with weapon damage. Prior to that it didn't, so a fast weapon proc'd more and did more damage. That's no longer the case so a slow weapon is better as it maximises stormstrike and lava lash damage while still scaling with flametongue.

Right, nub question. I haven't played my shammy in 4 years, he's level 33 (christ knows how) how do I play him? Do I just smush shit, or do I need totems or...well, what? I know it's a lolsome question but I log in on him, look at his spells on the bar and log back out.

hehe. I'd recommend going Enhance for levelling. Elemental you'll probably get downtime.

Enhance you just get a big two-hander to start with and one shot things. Then go to Dual-Wield and knack things with no downtime whatsoever.

I'm not sure what abilities are available to you at that level. But with my Shaman at 73, all I do is constantly keep lightning shield up. Stormstrike > Earth Shock > Stormstrike > Earth shock while hoping for WF's inbetween. if you can get Maelstrom Weapon you'll build up an instant heal.

Keep to the bigger heals for more efficieny. Next mob :)

There's not really any point to totems for levelling as you're constantly on the move. So just stick to mushing things with Stormstrikes and Earth Shocks. In Northrend you can solo any elite I've come across so far and finish on full health and mana if you use wolves and Shamanistic Rage. So damn good!

At 33 you have sod all abilities to use as Enhance as it's just shock + auto attack, to make things a bit more interesting to 40 and Stormstike get one of these and put firey weapon on it http://www.wowhead.com/?item=937#comments and giggle like a mad man when all three procs occur at the same time.

As for totems like Vince said if you tend to be on the move a lot don't worry about them, however if you have lots of mobs in a small area set-up a totem camp and pull them towards you with lightning bolt.

It's a bit dull till you get stormstrike though (40?). Run up and melee stuff and pray you get a WF proc to speed the fight along..

Mind you I say that, I can't remember what level you get Maelstrom weapon and Lava Lash. If you get those early then maybe it's not so bad anymore.. if you don't it'll still suck till 40.

Maelstrom is right near the bottom. So that won't be before 40 I wouldn't have thought. Can't be arsed opening a talent calculator though :)

Shaman is awesome fun though I reckon. Just not got round to levelling him as I've been focusing on my Rogue as of late.

Early on you just want agility, stamina and maybe a splash of intellect (shaman and hunters use the same gear pretty much), later on as the hoodoo of endgame kicks in you will need hit, expertise, crit and pie making of course. And yes use a two hander, that staff I linked should be as cheap as chips to pick up off the AH as not many classes would use or want it and will last you till the 40s when you get dual wielding. At which point you want to try and get two one handers that are as slow as possible >=2.6 speed ideally, this is a MASSIVE pain in the arse in the old world however as Blizzard hates shaman ffs. :)

http://www.wowhead.com/?items=2&filter...crv=2.5#150-2+1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to level my troll shaman Jalapeno. He's awesome. I bought him the heirloom shoulders for the sweet sweet 10% xp bonus. I got the huntery ones as everyone says to level enhance so I figured they'd be better. At end game, if I ever get him here, he'd be resto and elemental for instance and pvp funz.

Also, totems are a pain in the ass.