The Shaman Thread

csuzw

Need some advice peeps. I want a shaman, pure and simple. Probably to heal, eventually. Pvp and pve.

But, do I want a troll or Orc, or wait for the (rumoured) goblin shaman? I'm not too fussed about Tauren really, I think they're a bit shit.

I already have a high level troll but no Orc so I'm leaning towards Orc in that respect, but I also :D trolls so it swings back in favour of them. So it basically comes down to berserking vs blood fury (or whatver the Orc racial is).

What would you recommend?

anyway... That should help you starting a shammy... I haven't had a read through but it should cover some noob basics...

Edit: Tauren :P:wub::wub:

Many many years ago, when Ravenholdt was still a baby server, I rolled a Troll shaman named Jalapeno. He had firey red hair and a temper to match. I got him to level 30 or so and then, for some stupid reason I cannot recall anymore, I deleted him. A while later, I remade him. Then I deleted him again before level 10. This has happened a couple of times.

Last night, with my Heirloom shoulders equipped, Jalapeno set off on his big adventure: to get to 80 and be a healer in both pve and pvp.

I got him to level 9 and 3/4 before I had to stop as I was knackered. He is awesome. I will never, ever delete him again. I love how the lightning bolt animation is basically a HADOKEN! Good times. I seem a bit squishy and my totems seem a bit pointless at the moment, but I'm really looking forward to hitting 10 and beyond tonight and seeing what else the class has to offer me.

PS: Trolls rule :hmm:

I found totems were completely useless through levelling tbh.

The only time they will be good is when you need Stoneclaw (May as well pop wolves and self heal everything) or you have a big bunch of mobs where you can set up camp and pull them to your totems.

I never bothered though. Run in > Stormstrike > Earth Shock > Maelstrom Weapon insta heal > Wait for Windfury > Next mob.

If you're taking too much damage and your mana is going down between fights. Shamanistic Rage > Full mana again. Repeat.

So easy to level a Shaman nowadays.

When you have internet anyway >_>

What level is your shammy? (edit *Ahhh he tis but a babe*) As you can't dual wield until 40 remember, as to spec its pretty hard to screw up an Enhancement one just go down the tree and pick out what seems good!

That being said I'd go for something like this at 40: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#hZhbgcoxzIbz if you're going to get the maces otherwise you may want to get Stormstrike before DWing.

Personally I would level as Elemental until you get Windfury weapon, I was enhance from 1-75 when I changed to Elemental to give lava burst a go but with hindsight all you are doing at earlier levels is auto-attacking and the occasional shock which is pretty dull, whether casting Lightning Bolt and the occasional shock is any better is I guess a matter of taste! And of course you can still bosh things in the face as Elemental and I doubt there is that much difference in damage done at the lower levels.

I've honestly never tried elemental as my Shaman.

At lower levels I bought myself a high damage two-hander that mollests a mob when you crit.

Then when I was 70 I eventually made my two Dragonstrikes and levelled duel-wield since then. I don't even know whether duel-wield was available when I initially levelled though :/

I'd suggest going with Enhancement and a big two-hander though Ste. I know you're not much of a fan of casters as it is, so the LB spam probably won't help ;)

Can anyone lend me their internet too while I get mine? I wnt 2 ply FFS

I levelled as Enhancement and then switched to Resto at 80 as no bugger wanted me! Spent a fair while with Ele/Resto dual spec and Elemental is pretty fun, some really nice numbers once you get the gear. Just recently I've dropped Elemental altogether though and gone back to Enhancement (seeing as I'll get to raid with it, hopefully) and to be honest, you can't beat running up to stuff and just demolishing them in the face.

Ive got a Tauren Shaman, had him for 4 years :(

I've always been Elemental, and sometimes when I'm bored Resto. My conclusion is they are a good class for PVE, and good in PVP in large groups. They aint to good 1v1 though.

Not a bad class if you cant be arsed to level "true" classes. Of course, there are alot better DPS classes than Shaman as well as healing. Basically, if you want to be the "best" at DPS or Healing, roll another class. If you want to be versatile, Shaman are pretty neat.

Says the Shaman.

Im just to lazy to reroll.

Elemental DPS is supbar and the gear we get given is a joke. If you raid with a Demo lock you're pretty much useless.

Resto is just not sure what its supposed be, a single target healer or a chain healer spammer. Mana regen still sucks.

Enh is very solid I will admit that much, dreadful in PVP tho.

Meh.

Resto is just not sure what its supposed be, a single target healer or a chain healer spammer. Mana regen still sucks.

O.o

We can do great single target and aoe healing and our mana regen is fine. In fact I'm not sure I can go oom whilst chain heal spamming now.

Shamans fucking suck

From what I see they dont. Theyre as good as they were in Sunwell on AoE fights, and far better than they were then on single target fights. If our Shaman arent high on the charts then theyre doing it wrong, or, as the majority of them on Moonglade were in TBC days, they just plain suck.

Elemental I know what you mean, though you should talk to Soul about that, as he fucking hates being the spellpower bitch. Enhance is pretty good, Boomis is always level with me if not higher, the only classes that fucking consistently beat Boomis and me are the other supposed hybrids - Warriors and fucking DK's (hybrids doing 5% less damage than pures my ass!!).

• 1 month later...

In other shaman related news, MMO-Champion have a vid of the orc and troll totems up now too. I think there's maybe a case to be made for Troll totems looking the best. Hopefully this is a mistake and they will rectify it!

:wub:

I'm quite enjoying the change of pace leveling my little Troll Shaman Jalapeno provides, although he seems extremely squishy. The plan is to go resto eventually I suppose, but for now he just runs round in his heirloom shoulders and dress doing Hadoken lightning bolts at everything. Dies a lot, mind. Only level 12 or 13 though. Also, I find myself not really

bothering with totems at the moment. I have the earthy ones and a couple of fire ones. Am I doing it wrong?

I only use my totems for emergencies, like when I pull 3-4 mobs, so don't worry there.

I can't say I've found my shaman to be squishy, though the herbalism healing hot has saved me a few times.

It should get easier in terms of avoiding death when you get Stoneclaw Totem and Ghostwolf for squeaky bum moments.

You probably shouldn't be dying when levelling. Pull from max range, pull one at a time and drop a stoneclaw totem and heal if you get desperate. Amazingly stoneclaw actually works a bit when levelling..

Earthbind + fleeing is good sometimes too. Easier when you get ghost wolf too. I'd always spec instant ghostwolf for levelling. It's lovely.

2x heirloom mass of mcgowan (fiery enchant for the looks :hat:)

You need to be dual wielding as enhance, really.

For anyone levelling a shamen from 1, I pity you, they really do suck until level 40ish, and don't get great until 60 for enhancement (Ghost Wolves Hoooooooooooooooooo!)

Is elemental really that bad at endgame then? How does enhance stack up as a melee dps compared to say, a death knight?