The Shaman Thread

csuzw

I was a little disappointed with the lack of toys too, and the removal of Cleansing Totem is a bit of a bugger. That said, I like that we can buff our heals by using a Shock spell, and can increase mana regen using Lightning Bolt not that we need it atm) - nice touches, I thought. Even so, I was looking forward to Healing Rain, and having a solution of that minor problem, namely being unable to move and heal, neither of which we can play with in this patch. Ah well, roll on Cata :)

Yeah I've not tried putting shocks and lightning bolts in my rotation yet. I don't really see the point at this moment in time with the lightning bolt/mana thing. I can't seem to give mana away at the moment! I will try to wind the shocks in to see if it makes a difference. I quite like the idea of dpsing and healing at the same time - it's fairly easy to do in heroics, but I imagine it is quite difficult and stressful in a raid scenario!

I'm glad we don't have more spells and abilities, we have enough as it is. I feel like I'm right on the limit of what I can comfortably keybind at the minute. I think the big change for resto will be when Cataclysm arrives and the whole healing model changes. The changes in 4.0.1 weren't made with the current gear levels and encounter design in mind. Once mana becomes a problem again and people are in danger of dying in a couple of GCDs all the time, I think it will be a lot more interesting.

I think the whole dps to heal thing is a complete red herring for PvE at least. Blizzard have already said they don't intend for Telluric Currents to all you to regen mana, it's meant to break even or even use a little bit of mana. Either the damage added from resto lightning bolts is going to be minimal or you're better off bringing an extra proper dps instead. Focused Insights might be useful but only if it works 100% (ie doesn't require the shock to hit), and even then I think Unleashed Life might do just as good a job.

I'm gonna finish grinding out the PVP gear for my warrior and then move onto my Shaman, I think. Gonna get him the rest of his T10 (need the chest and legs) and then might get some PVP stuff if I can face the grind after doing it on my Warrior. Luckily resto shaman are ace in PVP and also totally different to playing a Warrior. Shame I can't multibox as without the beautiful AV weekend, I feel the grind will be hellish indeed.

In the few days I've been back, I have very much enjoyed playing as my Shaman. I am, however, disappointed by the lack of shiny new toys they have received - particularly resto, which is my spec of choice. Also, the heals feel a bit puny, now, compared to before. Chain Heal in particular seems to lack the oomph it once had :(

I had considered grinding out some enchancement/elemental T10 gear for leveling come Cata, but to be perfectly honest my Resto gear is more than sufficient to spec elemental and blow shit up occasionally, so I don't know that I'll bother now.

Yeah I wouldnt bother spending any points on new 80 gear now, your resto set should suffice for ele.

While shamans are probably the least changed healing class, I'm glad for that as I really like how resto shamans play. I agree with the changes they've made to chain heal as well, as chain heal spam was simply too effective. Plus, our new toys which we get while leveling up are ones we'll make much more use of than the other healers (or at least on par with pallys holy radiance - all I can think of for priests it life grip and I dont think druids get anything else for healing) - Healing Rain, Unleash Elements and Spirit Walkers Grace are all pretty sweet. I've already found that I'm using more heals than before, and that will likely change even further as we hit 80. And thats a good thing in my book.

I'd like a bit more variety in the totems though. Again, cleansing going is understandable even if its a pain in the arse - it was too good at what it did compared to how other classes had to manage it. But if they can give hunters pets every buff under the sun, why not shamans totems? We've got melee haste/caster haste/agi+str/armour/sp/mp5 already - why not int/kings/stam/crit? Or maybe some more utility ones, like movement speed increase. Maybe thats asking a lot, but it would be nice!

• 1 month later...

So, my Goblin Shaman is level 10. What tree do I chose? I assume its either enhancement or elemental, is either viable in 4.0 or is one of them a big no no until you reach a certain level and unlock a certain ability?

My plan is to be a healer, so I am considering elemental just because there will be overlap between caster gear and healer gear while levelling up. Is this a good idea?

My plan is to be a healer, so I am considering elemental just because there will be overlap between caster gear and healer gear while levelling up. Is this a good idea?

Yep, it's a great idea. I originally levelled as enhancement, but then had to blow a tonne of gold on the AH to get some healing gear before I could set foot in a heroic as Resto. With AH prices for level 85 gear likely to remain sky high for a while, I'm not sure I'd like to do that now. I'm currently doing 80-85 as Elemental to ease the gear grind, and it's great fun. Has the added bonus of being a bit better in PvP situations too, at least from my experience.

Thunderstorming people off cliffs never gets old :)

I can imagine. :lol:

The WotLK version of Blast Wave had a knockback too, and you could dismount people with it. I had many a happy session flying around Icecrown on my Mage and sending people to their doom with a knockback. They get repairs too, because it counts as a PvE death. :ph34r:

Anyhoo, what talents are hot and what should I avoid?

• 2 weeks later...

Is it me or are Resto Shamans a bit crap again?

Spot-healing is about the only thing we're good for as we have severe mana issues. Healing Wave is just not good enough to be our main healing spell with our current haste levels. Healing Surge and Greater Healing Wave cost far to much mana for us to even consider using them on a regular basis we would need a 110k+ mana pool.

Dissapointed really.

I don't think there is anything wrong with resto shaman. I've heard holy paladins are a little too powerful still which may be skewing peoples views. That said I've also heard resto druids have mana issues but have seen no evidence of that so far. Not sure where priests are at as ours isn't as well geared as me or our druid.

Personally I'm really enjoying the changes. I get to use all my spells (well very rarely GHW to the point I might unbind it) and I have to be very aware of mana. A lot of the time I'm finding I use mana up a bit too quickly on early attempts on a boss but after I (and others) get comfortable with it mana becomes manageable although it's fairly rare that I end up with that much mana left at end. So far I've done Omnitron, Magmaw and Maloriak and they're all pretty good. Magmaw is probably the worst of the 3 but it's made for resto shaman as we can regen all our mana during the exposed head phase with Telluric Currents. Omnitron and Maloriak are more fun as they're more interesting to heal and you never have to rely on TC.

Regarding the spot healing thing. In raids I rarely use HW as it doesn't do enough healing and I never use GHW as I think it's worse HPM and HPS than HS if Tidal Waves is up. I do use HS a lot and it's not great for mana but it's rare that we've wiped due to healer mana and if we have it's because we've got the tactic horribly wrong or the dps aren't paying attention. I don't tend to heal anyone unless they've lost at least 30k health at which point a crit HS won't overheal. HS and other incidental healing can cover anything else and if you're really worried you can stick your next Riptide on someone. I also make heavy use of Unleashed Elements on my HS, especially for tank heals.

Enhance shaman are pretty kick ass atm it seems. Our 2 enhancers are blowing away the majority of the dps on bosses atm, 16-18k is the average, completely the reverse of wotlk where they were rock bottom. Dunno what elemental is like as we never have one in the raid, but resto seems to be quite good, everytime I've had a resto shaman who knows how to play in a heroic he barely goes oom. Seem to be the better heroic healers at the moment from what I seen anyways. Earthshield on the tank is pretty amazing for aoe'ing down packs of trash that cant be cc'd much (like the elemental packs in Vortex Pinnacle).

I've had comments from guildies and pugs about my always full mana bar. It's true as long as Earth Shield/Riptide and Healing Stream Totem can cover most of the damage. If it's not then my mana tends to drop fairly quickly but not so much it's a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

resto question.

I've been reading up on what totems are best for the different groups, and I'm a bit puzzled about the stoneskin totem over the Strength of Earth totem in a five man instance?

ie.

quote "This will usually be Stoneskin Totem, which stacks with a Paladin’s Devotion Aura. Extra armor is always nice for your tanks. If you don’t have a death knight or enhancement shaman in your group, then you can drop Strength of Earth. Strength of Earth is a great totem, but I think every random heroic is required to have a DK, so it just doesn’t see all that much use."

I've been using the Stoneskin totem now I'm puzzled :(

I'll keep looking but if you have any helpfully tips that would be swell.

sorry... just found the answer!

if your not sure too... here.

Earth Totem

In the Earth Totem slot your buff totems are Strength of Earth and Stoneskin. If you have no Paladins, Death Knights, Warriors, or Beast Mastery Hunters in your group (so probably just in the occasional 5 player dungeon) you will have to choose between the two. When both buffs are missing, I would lean towards the Strength and Agility provided by SoE, since this helps both the tanks and non-caster DPS, while armor will usually just help the tank.

If you have any Death Knight in the group, their Horn of Winter should always be active, covering SoE and leaving you free to cast Stoneskin.

Warriors need to use Battle Shout to provide the buff, which means they cannot use Commanding Shout for a stamina buff. Beast Mastery Hunters can provide an equivalent buff by using a cat or spirit beast pet. In either case, you’ll need to look at the other buffs your raid can provide, and communicate to determine whether you should be dropping Strength of Earth. If SoE is covered, go ahead and drop Stoneskin.

Paladin auras are somewhat complicated, because they share many of the same buffs as Shamans and each Paladin can only have one active aura. Devotion aura is identical to Stoneskin. Depending on the number of Paladins and Shamans in your raid, and whether the other Paladin auras are useful for the fight, you may want to drop Stoneskin even with a Paladin or two around. For example, if spell pushback is required, you will likely want to drop Stoneskin and Healing Stream while letting the Paladin provide Concentration. If shadow protection is required and you don’t have a priest, then you want the Paladin Resistance aura (which covers Fire, Frost and Shadow). While we can glyph Healing Stream Totem to provide spell resistance, it covers Fire, Frost and Nature, but not Shadow damage. Like I said, it can get complicated.

The bottom line here is that Stoneskin is usually a good default choice unless you have no Death Knights, Warriors or BM Hunters, in which case you may need to drop Strength of Earth. And of course Tremor and Earthbind can be very helpful depending on the encounter.

• 3 weeks later...

Possibly. We have Mana Tide and interrupts as our only positives. We're pretty much bottom in terms of healing output out of the 4 classes and we're about 8th out of 10 in dps (http://stateofdps.com/). That said there shouldn't be any issues with taking shaman to normal modes, but it looks like you're just making heroic modes far harder, especially if you take a resto shaman.

I've no idea how the next patch is going to change things for dps but for healing I think it's only going to help in 25 man and even then it misses the glaring issue.

Chain Heal buffed by 10%. It needed a buff but it's still not massively useful for 10 man and that's unlikely to change without them buffing it to the point we just spam it unfortunately.

Deep Healing (Mastery) improved by 0.5% per point. Again I think this is going to be much more noticeable in 25 man than 10 man but it's probably the best buff of the bunch overall. I am very interested to see how much of an effect this will have as it's very hard to determine masteries worth at the moment.

Greater Healing Wave mana cost increased by 10% and healing done by 20%: It's going to replace Healing Surge as the single target spell to cast most of the time but .while GHW will be better HPM and HPS than HS, unless you're chain casting them, neither matters as much as it would in the past. HS is still going to be better in many cases as it costs less total mana and will get someone to the point random incidental healing will fix the deficit. Even for tank healing GHW is still questionable depending on whether it will have the same Ancestral Fortitude uptime that HS has (I imagine in most cases, 1 boss hit with/without the buff would be enough to swing it back in HS favour). Basically this mostly evens out GHW/HS rather than being an overall buff.

Mana Tide change is mostly a nerf due to not being able to take advantage of trinket procs. In 25 mans you might still see 1 resto shaman as MTT bitch except now they'll be stacking spirit gems/trinkets etc and doing even worse healing. 10 mans it's won't change anything.

We still have no cooldown for saving anyone/the group and I'm not sure this will have much effect on our healing throughput in the places we struggle (ie single target and/or spread raid which is most of the time in 10 man).

Personally the fact we're in pretty bad state at the moment isn't going to change anything for me. I'm unlikely to get dropped in my raid group as I'm still 1 of the stronger/more reliable raiders. Also balance has never been amazing in WoW anyway and every class/spec has ups and downs. That said the patch notes do make me somewhat concerned that Blizzard hasn't grasped the biggest issues in healing balance at the moment.

Most useless class in the game?

Thanks for the negs. I'm being serious and you non-playing shamans can't comprehend just how bad we are at the moment. My guild had 3 resto shamans turning up for raids and we would only take one, elemental is just fucking garbage so that is not viable alternative and we have 2 long-term Enhancement Shamans so what do we do? taking turns means 1 raid a week. Pointless.

I'm actually glad my net is down currently because playing the Shaman is just to frustrating right now and I certainly don't have the time to re-roll.

• 2 weeks later...

From blue post:

Shaman

We are also applying a hotfix for Purification for the Restoration shaman passive from 10% to 25%. We think that shaman healing per second is not as competitive with other healers and while we hoped to bring down Holy priest and Holy paladins (in particular) in 4.0.6, which we did, shaman still appear to be behind. In this case, it is simply easier to buff Restoration shaman rather than nerf everyone else or rebalance the encounters.

In Addition- Restoration Druids and Restoration Shaman

We agree with the sentiment among some players that Restoration druids and Restoration shaman are lacking in the healing cooldown department. The shaman buff and Power Word: Shield adjustment above should bring all healers reasonably close in terms of throughput. The decision on who to bring then might end up being dictated by the strong cooldowns offered by paladins or priests. This isn’t the kind of thing we can address via a hotfix, but it is something we are looking at for the next major content patch.

:D

Good changes, I havent even played my shaman in cataclysm yet as I was dreading healing in instances. These changes might make me change my mind. Shaman could still use some cds though, as I cant see us taking more healing shaman even with this change.

• 2 weeks later...
Spirit Link Totem (new talent) reduces damage taken by all party and raid members within 10 yards by 10%. This lasts 6 seconds, and every second it is active the health of all affected players is redistributed among them, such that each player ends up with the same percentage of their maximum health. This counts as an Air totem and has a 3-minute cooldown.

I'm thinking it's a bit odd? If the raid's got very variable health then it's pretty handy, but if everyone's at low health it seems a little less good. Although I guess it'll have to spread around any healing done in that 6 seconds, which'd mean once you cast it healers are probably best healing the people with the lowest max health so as to get the biggest boost.. it's all a bit odd to my mind.