IGNORED

Tekken 2

Thread Owner

I'm scared of going back now (because I know it won't have aged well graphically) but, in my mind, Tekken 2 is the best fighting game of all time.

If you're well into your fighting games, I can see this being a little simplistic, but for ease of access, atmosphere and the awesome music, I think it's unbeatable as a beat em up. Some of the level design was staggeringly good. Tekken 3 was far more 'solid' but I loved the arcadey spectacle of 2. I should probably dig it out again soon, but as I say, I am worried it will appear dated.

It probably will look pretty dated, but it was a brilliant game.

Not as dated as the first one mind you, that looks fucking shocking these days!

I only had a handful of games for my PS1 at uni and this was one of them. We played it to death.

It had depth but you could pick it up and play and just mash and you'd still get somewhere. We'd add all sorts of house rules about "no thows/grabs" or no using the devil/angel.

Then there was big head & wireframe mode.

I'd leave my mates playing it in when we lived in halls and I'd go to lectures, and come back and find half a dozen people playing Tekken 2 in my room, half of whom I didn't know!

Ahhh great days! :)

It was my 2nd PS1 game, I remember giving my mum the dosh (£45!) to buy it for me because it was a 15. Good times. So much time was spent playing arcade mode with each character, just to see the crappy FMV that I so impatiently awaited as well as to unlock a new character. I remember being well chuffed when I finally unlocked Kazuya. After that he would be the only character I used & square + X the only move I would use :).

Until I worked out back + square, circle anyway :)

Oh, fucking sweet! This music takes me back. And I can rip it too, with a natty Firefox plugin called DownloadHelper.

I love early 3d FMV.

Yeah it's all over youtube, vids and music uploads.

Haven't dared to fire it up then?

I've just checked - it's one of a select few PS1 games not stashed up in the loft, I'm going to give it a whirl tomorrow. Hold me.

The Arranged music tracks were/are fantastic. The ones from Jun and Yoshimitsu. Yoshis is my fav, what an excellent track that is ;)

edit: in my opinion, it has not aged well at all. The gameplay feels sluggish. the graphics on the other hand still look nice, considering its age :wub:

No it hasn't, my mate bought it from the store and shared it with me, I didn't feel compelled to complete it again in the slightest, it's so slow and the jumping looks proper crouching tiger esque.

Still, proper awesome game at the time so it's never being removed from my PS3 hard drive.

Tekken 2 made me get a Playstation. The christmas after it's release we visited some distant relatives who had this, and we played and played all day. I recall being shocked at how violent some of the bone breaking grabs were. By March I had my own PS1!

I also remember a friend telling me about King's chained grabs - i thought he was pissing me about! Soon after, we had that shit nailed down tight. Matches took on a new dimension, cautious pokes and safe movements preceding complete batterings. The same friend had awesome counter timing, he'd sit there and reverse everything chucked at him.

Tekken 3 improved on it in every area, and then the series lost something. Maybe I just got bored and went on to Guilty Gear and MvC2... I've got Tekken 5, but only because it came with T2 and T3 :)

Well I've just spent most of my day playing through this from the beginning, if only to earn the ending movies. Yes I know I could watch them all on Youtube but I wanted to unlock each character and get to know the game again.

So now, hours later I now know I am not only shite at Tekken 2 but I really don't have the patience that I used to have. It was still an enjoyable experience, mind. Unsurprisingly not like it was in 1996.

I had forgotten the when you unlock Anna, Kunimitsu et all, their stages play out to Tekken 1 music tracks. Awesome!

I bought this the same Christmas that I received my PlayStation for £35 (on sale!). It was amazing! I loved the intro/ending videos, I was absolutely blown away by them - they were like a time portal into the future. It's funny that even they look terrible now though. I was shit at the game, and just used the same move over and over. I ended up trading it with a mate for Porsche Challenge and Micro Machines V3.

If you put the disc in a CD player you get this weird music track with some girl singing and some drums in the background!

I bought this the same Christmas that I received my PlayStation for £35 (on sale!). It was amazing! I loved the intro/ending videos, I was absolutely blown away by them - they were like a time portal into the future. It's funny that even they look terrible now though. I was shit at the game, and just used the same move over and over. I ended up trading it with a mate for Porsche Challenge and Micro Machines V3.

If you put the disc in a CD player you get this weird music track with some girl singing and some drums in the background!

Think you will find that is the music that plays when the ending credits roll, it's really good.

Mike..

It was an awesome game, but it has to be said the arcade machine was better, with far more responsive controls and a better framerate. Tekken 3 on the PS was a similar speed to the arcade T2, but the arcade T3 was better again. The ports were not arcade perfect, though they were damn close.

Still, absolutely cracking game, and in combination with GT the reason I caved and got a PS.

I remember at the time my wife and I spent hours playing the demo of Tekken 2 that came with the PSOne for hours until we got the full game. Which we then played to death.

Toshindon really didn't have a chance did it.

Great intro at the time as well. Almost as good as Soul Blade.

Whoa, whoa - we're all feeling nostalgic, but let's not go nuts. Soul Blade's intro was superb, far better than Tekken 2's.

Still have a soft spot for the Tekken 2 intro. Probably the only Tekken intro that worked for me. The rest seemed a bit random.

Oh! Just remembered the bonus characters. Angel for the win!

I loved Tekken 2 - 'twas the first game I bought for my PS1 along with Ridge Racer Revolution. Many a night would me and my mates play it until the wee hours, cheaping each other out.

Virtua Fighter 2 for the Saturn made me a tad jealous though as it was the better game.

I learned every single character's ten-hit (or fewer) combo in Tekken 2. Every single one (well, every displayed one; I know there were some hidden combos too). I could recite them all from memory. It was mental. How did I have so much bloody free time as a kid?! :)

This was before I had the Internet, so I never worked out King's super-throws. I used to play the game on ultra hard mode and try to get to a King stage just so I could witness the CPU doing his monstrous ten-grab throw that finished with the spin-you-around thing. I could do about two of them.

It was an awesome game, but it has to be said the arcade machine was better, with far more responsive controls and a better framerate. Tekken 3 on the PS was a similar speed to the arcade T2, but the arcade T3 was better again. The ports were not arcade perfect, though they were damn close.

Arcade was definitely faster, but wasn't that just a PAL conversion issue?

Whoa, whoa - we're all feeling nostalgic, but let's not go nuts. Soul Blade's intro was superb, far better than Tekken 2's.

Whoa, Whoa, were indeed feeling nostalgic, the intro to soul Blade *might* have been better (personal opinion) but the games were streets ahead, tekken 2 far out shone it, wasnt till it became Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast that it started to get better.

Mike..

I learned every single character's ten-hit (or fewer) combo in Tekken 2. Every single one (well, every displayed one; I know there were some hidden combos too). I could recite them all from memory. It was mental. How did I have so much bloody free time as a kid?! :wub:

This was before I had the Internet, so I never worked out King's super-throws. I used to play the game on ultra hard mode and try to get to a King stage just so I could witness the CPU doing his monstrous ten-grab throw that finished with the spin-you-around thing. I could do about two of them.

Arcade was definitely faster, but wasn't that just a PAL conversion issue?

Pretty sure that's the case, as my jap T3 ran at 60fps, just like the arcade, and I'm preeetty sure T2 was the same.

The PAL versions were pretty horrible, really.

Pretty sure that's the case, as my jap T3 ran at 60fps, just like the arcade, and I'm preeetty sure T2 was the same.

The PAL versions were pretty horrible, really.

Yeah, Sega (bless em) at the time really put a lot more effort into getting us decent PAL conversions - almost all their Saturn titles were usually tweaked to make sure they played at as near as possible the same speed as the originals....

Whoa, Whoa, were indeed feeling nostalgic, the intro to soul Blade *might* have been better (personal opinion) but the games were streets ahead, tekken 2 far out shone it, wasnt till it became Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast that it started to get better.

Hmmm, sadly I have to disagree. I really like the Tekken games, and I loved 3/Tag the most - but I was a Saturn owner and as a big VF2 fan, I never got into Tekken, but took to Soul Blade immediately. I always found Tekken to be fun for a post-night-out sesh, with a load of people who were both gamers and non-gamers, but with the pre-set combos that were memorised, as opposed to Soul Blade's more freeform, Virtua Fighter-esque juggle combo approach, I always found it a little dull.

So yes, it was fun - but not a patch on Blade for me. That being said, I'm aware I hold a minority view.

Hmmm, sadly I have to disagree. I really like the Tekken games, and I loved 3/Tag the most - but I was a Saturn owner and as a big VF2 fan, I never got into Tekken, but took to Soul Blade immediately. I always found Tekken to be fun for a post-night-out sesh, with a load of people who were both gamers and non-gamers, but with the pre-set combos that were memorised, as opposed to Soul Blade's more freeform, Virtua Fighter-esque juggle combo approach, I always found it a little dull.

So yes, it was fun - but not a patch on Blade for me. That being said, I'm aware I hold a minority view.

To be fair though, Soul Blade was a vast improvement on the arcade version of itself, Soul Edge, which was a pile of steaming turd imo.

but as you say, each to their own.

Wasnt as much a fan of Tekken 3 though, it was good, don't get me wrong, but they removed Jun Kazama (my fave from Tekken 2) which seemed odd, seeing as she had only just joined the roster.

Mike..

To be fair though, Soul Blade was a vast improvement on the arcade version of itself, Soul Edge, which was a pile of steaming turd imo.

but as you say, each to their own.

Wasnt as much a fan of Tekken 3 though, it was good, don't get me wrong, but they removed Jun Kazama (my fave from Tekken 2) which seemed odd, seeing as she had only just joined the roster.

Mike..

Yeah, the home version of Soul Calibur was quite different to the arcade version too - it certainly looked massively better.

IMO Soul Blade was superior to Soul Calibur (home versions here), but both are simply too easy, and I've wondered how they hold people's attention, beyond the fact that both were also graphically a cut above other fighters at the time of their release.

As for Tekken ports being a simple PAL issue, that may be the case with T2, but T3 arcade has proper 3D backgrounds iirc, and wikipedia claims things like the models altered, frames dropped etc. It was a more advanced board after all.

You're wondering how a fighting game such as SC can hold peoples' attention? Have you tried inviting someone over and plugging in a second pad?

There were absolutely no noticeable frame-drops in T3, either. It was silky-smooth, just like the arcade - and the models were apparently slightly better than the ones used in the coin-op, as they didn't have to render big 3D backdrops.

IMO Soul Blade was superior to Soul Calibur (home versions here), but both are simply too easy...

First off, you thought Blade was better than Calibur?

The only things about Blade that I think it had better than Calibur are the Edge Master mode being very different (arguably better) with different stories for each character and collectible weapons with different abilities and a character from Blade being absent from Calibur (Li Long) - as well as Hwang being totally changed between the games.

But "too easy"? How can a fighting game ever be "too easy"? Soul Calibur had some great mechanics for 2-player battles; it had easy to pull off moves for beginners, but it also had advanced stuff like the 8-way movement system, the counter system, and really fun juggle combo mechanics. The only problem I could see with it was that I was never sure about the character balance (certain characters like Hwang and Mitsurugi just seemed better than others like Xianghua and Ivy in SC1). However, a lot of these problems were fixed in SC2, with a better Edge Master mode, some great new characters like Raphael, and an overall better game balance. In fact, the only thing I disliked about it was the loss of Hwang!

If by "too easy" you just mean the single player mode, then every fighting game without a broken boss is easy.

SC is too easy to the point of being random. It really doesn't matter if you try to learn it or not, button mashing is simply far too successful a tactic, and this is why it doesn't carry the same clout as other games in the genre. That works for humans and CPU opponents, and I would argue that anyone thinking otherwise just hasn't met someone capable of mashing randomly enough.

And Meh, you can drone all you want, but T3 was on a board which was superior to the PSOne hardware, and they had to downgrade the game slightly to make it fit. That's not to discredit the port, but even my non-hardcore sensibilities could detect the differences.