IGNORED

eBay says: if you sell a videogame you must post it for FREE

Sketch

Why didn't you simply add "60p for postage, and 50p for the envelope, and eBay's 10% fees, and PayPal's fees" in the first place?

I really don't see how starting at a higher price with free postage makes any difference.

Because the average Joe Bloggs doesn't care, all they see is a higher starting price. Lower starting prices brings in more bidders, more bidders means more chance of selling at a decent price.

How much they paid doesn't tell you anything about how much they were willing to pay; they just paid as little as possible. If you start auctions at 1p, you'll have to get used to not even covering your costs. If somebody was willing to pay £1.50, somebody was probably willing to pay £2.00.

How can you possibly infer that? If there was nobody pushing the price beyond £1.50 then there's no more interest. People would most likely have paid £1.50 for it even if the postage was on top. Generally people don't take into account the postage costs unless thay are ridiculously high.

If there was nobody pushing the price beyond £1.50 then there's no more interest.

You seriously believe if he'd started it at £2.00 to cover his costs, he'd have been unable to find a buyer? A cursory glance of the completed auctions for "San Andreas" shows plenty going for anywhere from five to twenty pounds. And that's a 2004 release with sales of 21.5 million, so there's no shortage of cheap copies around.

It's nothing but a cynical ploy to drive up fees on ebay's part, but no amount of corporate greed and evil in the world will make starting auctions at prices that will lose you money a smart thing to do.

Sketch is being a bit of a troll - but he has a bit of a point.

The whole idea of an auction is you start low (under £1 most things have no listing fee now) and the auction will find the 'sweetspot' price - or as my auctioneer colleague used to say "the price 2 people will pay for it".

eBay's system is a shit way to auction. Because they have a definitive ending time, a "the later you bid the less you pay" mentality rules - upto and including the fact people use machines to bid as late as possible (sniping) which is a proven way of getting things for less (and actually costs money in most cases!!).

So you have third-parties making money and ensuring eBay sellers (and by definition - eBay themselves) make less for the things they sell.

That doesn't exactly make a great advert for them does it?

I really would love to have 1 day to change how eBay works - I'd make it so, so, so good it would HURT (but then it would be hard to make it worse IMO)

p.s. another (less soluble) issue with eBay is the "there's always another item to bid on" factor. Taking something like GTA:SA, if you don't win this one, there are usually 20 more available to bid on. This is really a problem with the items being sold and NOT with eBay ofc. - although there's a school-of-though which says 'identical' auction items should be hidden from view until the current auction ends - to discourage this effect.

Because the average Joe Bloggs doesn't care, all they see is a higher starting price. Lower starting prices brings in more bidders, more bidders means more chance of selling at a decent price.

But everyone will have a higher starting price now anyway, so it makes no difference.

But everyone will have a higher starting price now anyway, so it makes no difference.

And eBay wins. Higher insertion fee equals more money in their pockets. It's good for them that starting the bid under 99p is free because nobody's going to use that to sell their games unless they can absolutely guarantee it goes for a lot more.

Holy shit, I was starting to think i'd been a little harsh on eBay, but now I realise why i'm getting charged so much! Fucking final value fees! 8.75% of the closing value! That is a joke, it actually makes selling anything on eBay completely pointless. I'm definitely not paying off my fees now, they can go to hell as far as i'm concerned. How can they possibly justify taking 10% off of the seller? For what exactly? Was it always this high? I don't remember getting punished so much for using the service before.

Going head-to-head with eBay would be foolish.

However, eBay are clearly abandoning the market which actually made them rich - the "people selling their unwanted shit" market.

eBay are totally focussed on powersellers and companies like Argos and they are trying to drive the private seller/"classified ad" market into the ground - so that's the area any competition needs to focus on IMO

Get away from BiN, Shops etc. - get away from the DSR and SoGA by making it 'private sales only' and thus 'buyer beware' - restore the concept of 'feedback' to offer reassurance to buyers and make auctions more exciting by deadlining them at first bid/and adding ever-shorter extensions with every subsequent bid etc. etc.

Oh - and make auctions 'embeddable' so that people can link them into blogs or even forums - or even make them exclusive to such things if they choose.

All you'd need is - oh - a few £10s of millions of quids...

8.75% isn't bad. A real-life auction house charges far more commission than that. And e-bay is going to give you a far wider potential customer base than any other place; that's what you're paying for.

8.75% isn't bad. A real-life auction house charges far more commission than that. And e-bay is going to give you a far wider potential customer base than any other place; that's what you're paying for.

you forgot about paypal fees as well - which is another company they own

so 13% all in, now if somebody took dictation and listed the item for me and phoned me up every day to tell me how things were going then it might be worth 13%

I used to work for a proper auction house (on Bond Street in London no less!) and I'd rather you didn't sully what they do with what eBay get upto - esp. nowadays...

Serious question but why? What makes them so different than ebay, price, service etc?

It's a very odd way for them to behave. Fair enough they have the monopoly at the moment but all it will take is a big competitor like Google to come along with less numbskull rules and they will make a mint.

eBay are the biggest single advertiser on the 'net - Google won't compete as they could potentially lose millions of dollars. eBay have threatened this before.

Not particularly. I predict the next eBay will inevitably come from a cabal of 'bedroom' programmers like the likes of Facebook and YouTube did, getting bought up by AOL or whatever for a few million once it's popular. It seems to be the way of popular internet sites these days...

I used to work for a proper auction house (on Bond Street in London no less!) and I'd rather you didn't sully what they do with what eBay get upto - esp. nowadays...

Oh, I've seen "proper" auction houses charge up to 20% (plus you have to pay Vat on that!) and certainly never less than 8%.

And at least Ebay don't have the gall to charge the buyer (!) at 10% commission (sorry, *cough* "buyer's premium"), unlike many "proper" auction houses.

As a big seller on Ebay these new seller fees annoy me too... I'm just playing Devil's Avocado...

Just use Amazon's or Play's marketplace services. They have worked very well forme in the past, particularly as they meet the failings of eBay (very transparent fees, fixed-price selling, fewer idiots). I have a tendency to just plonk a load of items on, set a reasonable price, and leave them until I get an email telling me to ship the item. You may get less cash, but you are at zero risk of getting less than you want as you may with an auction.

Would love to see someone come in and offer a similar service to our very own marketplace on rllmuk.

Sections for sales, section for trading, sections for wanteds. No auctions at all. You put a price and that is that. Trades work too, you state what you are looking to trade for and you set it up privately. No end times or anything. It works well on here, but would be great to do that countrywide.

Half expecting someone to link me up now and call me a moron for not seeing a particular site that is semi popular already.

Get away from BiN, Shops etc. - get away from the DSR and SoGA by making it 'private sales only' and thus 'buyer beware' - restore the concept of 'feedback' to offer reassurance to buyers and make auctions more exciting by deadlining them at first bid/and adding ever-shorter extensions with every subsequent bid etc. etc.

Oh - and make auctions 'embeddable' so that people can link them into blogs or even forums - or even make them exclusive to such things if they choose.

Yeah. Totally agree. I hardly ever use ebay now (for selling or buying). Partly because of all these awful rules and dreadful customer service (as a seller), but mostly (as a buyer) because it's almost all proper new stuff being sold by shops. What I loved about ebay was trawling through random people's odd junk. You can't search for anything and find interesting junk for 50p any more, it's all online shops. Rubbish.

Seems the new way not to pay fees is to ask the buyer after the auction has finished (goods received) to file one of those non paying thingies stating you dont want the item and the seller gets all the fees back

happened to a chap over on NTSC-uk forums