Fallout: New Vegas

I went back to this recently and didn't post in here for the fear of someone thinking it's announcement of a remaster, so cheers for taking that bullet, Deef.

It looks fucking shocking. Bethesda games have a terrible aesthetic most of the time anyway but the ten years it's been since release has not been kind to it at all.

However the game is bloody brilliant. The interlocking mesh of storylines and factions is great, even if I did ultimately end up siding with Mr House when I intended to go with the NCR. There's no way in hell I could side with the Legion. My plan was to kill House, go back and tell Caesar I'd done so then murder the whole lot of them at Fortification Hill. It didn't turn out like that. I've got a save before I make the major decision that leads to the final showdown so I might go back to it one day.

One thing that disappointed me a little bit was how easy maxing out Science and Speech made things. I could talk my way out of almost anything, but then I guess that's the point of maxing them. Also some of the named guns are bonkers.

If I go through it again I'd like to finish all the follower quests too, bit I guess we'll see.

19 minutes ago, deerokus said:

If you have any kind of pc from the last 5 or 6 years it should run great and there's loads of good mods to mess around with. 

I just wanted to play it. I can't be fucked with modding the shit out of it, if I cared enough about it looking awful I would've. It does look ropey as hell, mind.

I can't remember a lot. I do remember NCR, Legion and Mr. House. I think I sided with the NCR in the end and used my eloquence on the computer at the very end. It's one of the reasons I am not following the eloquence path this time. Like you said @moosegrinderit's generally a "get out of jail" card when it comes to difficult choices. I pressure myself into having to make choices, difficult as they may be.

All I remember about this is doing the Legion stuff really late-game, just enough to get to meeting Caesar, and using my absurd hand gun/ AP buffs to do a fucking Equilibrium-meets-Deadwood revolver massacre on the entire throne room. It was hilarious.

Fallout:NV was a great game, but the PS3 version suffered from an absolute gamebreaker of a bug - the longer you played, the laggier it got, with no apparent rock bottom to how bad it could get. I'd imagine this is why the PS Now version doesn't have the DLC - by the time you get to playing the extra sections, the game performance had dipped to zero fps. (It was the same bug Skyrim PS3 had but where that got fixed, the unloved stepchild nature of NV meant it didn't).

It's a shame as the expansions were pretty good. In particular they spread the skill checks about so it wasn't all speech and science.

Fallout 3 was disastrous on PS3, I remember the DLC in the snow being literally (!) single digit frames per second with section that dipped to just 0. I can not remember New Vegas ever being this bad though.

And yes, Skyrim was a complete mess as well but I never played that game until the remaster on PS4.

• 2 weeks later...

I never played this.  But the wondeful hbomberguy did a follow up to 'Fallout 3 is garbage (and here's why)' with 'Fallout New Vegas is GENIUS (and here's why)'

Think it's time I played this, soon! It does sound properly great. 

I’ve never subscribed to the whole idea that New Vegas is better than Fallout 3. 

3 is a much better designed open world to discover things and mess about in, and there’s plenty of lovely offbeat weird stuff in there that I remember really fondly like Oasis, the Republic of Dave, the vault full of Gary’s. 

This more than offsets the supposedly deeper story and mechanics that New Vegas offers - I say supposedly because I find Obsidian’s writers to be way less clever than they think they are. And I can’t remember any of the New Vegas side quests at all.

The Outer Worlds had the same problem of the levels just being really boring places to explore. 

44 minutes ago, robdood said:

I never played this.  But the wondeful hbomberguy did a follow up to 'Fallout 3 is garbage (and here's why)' with 'Fallout New Vegas is GENIUS (and here's why)'

By far the best of the 3D Fallouts.

53 minutes ago, Flanders said:

I’ve never subscribed to the whole idea that New Vegas is better than Fallout 3. 

3 is a much better designed open world to discover things and mess about in, and there’s plenty of lovely offbeat weird stuff in there that I remember really fondly like Oasis, the Republic of Dave, the vault full of Gary’s. 

This more than offsets the supposedly deeper story and mechanics that New Vegas offers - I say supposedly because I find Obsidian’s writers to be way less clever than they think they are. And I can’t remember any of the New Vegas side quests at all.

The Outer Worlds had the same problem of the levels just being really boring places to explore. 

I can see why people prefer NV over 3, but I think they come from completely different design philosophies.

2 hours ago, robdood said:

This is a great video - I personally love 3 and NV but I do think NV edges it. I just wish they'd both come to Switch! 

2 hours ago, Flanders said:

the vault full of Gary’s. 

That is literally entertaining for about 1 minute. 

I played a lot of Fallout 3, but when I reflect on it, it was a giant waste of time.  The whole thing was so forgettable, looks like NV was the game I kinda always wanted Fallout 3 to be!

Has anyone got a foolproof guide/method for getting this modded. I tried during the first lockdown (Ended up trying to use Vortex from Nexus) and got into a right mess with it. 

It's easy to find lists of 'essential' mods but when all this load order/conflict nonsense comes into it I find my energy levels draining instantly.

10 minutes ago, Ran said:

Has anyone got a foolproof guide/method for getting this modded. I tried during the first lockdown (Ended up trying to use Vortex from Nexus) and got into a right mess with it. 

It's easy to find lists of 'essential' mods but when all this load order/conflict nonsense comes into it I find my energy levels draining instantly.

I just used this awesome guide by the lovely Gopher!

I skipped the last two which add loads of new stuff. 

I also added this ENB mod, which makes a great difference!

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/49882?tab=description

Enjoying this more than my original playthrough but I have found some of the same differences that put me off it before.

The main one is how little dungeon trawling there seems to be compared to 3.

I've found general exploring way less interesting as a result because more often than not you stumble across a building and it's either a small zone with a few trinkets or clearly designed to link with a specific quest.

I'm finding it a better game to play by focusing on quest completion and the different factions and stories around their objectives and where they collide is admittedely a lot more engaging than Bethesda's efforts.

I should probably get back to this for the umpteenth time - I started a new run about two years ago (only modded with NVAC and YUP), mainly to fuck around with some new overpowered ways to "git gud" early on. Primarily melee, because my first 'complete' run where I got all the achievements listed on steam was with guns:

Spoiler

Namely, by putting on some Agility boosting clothing to hop over some hills, and drop down into a graveyard to pick up Chance's Knife before any Cazadores notice.

You then one-shot everything with a combat knife for half of the game.

hbomberguy is definitely right about how Fallout 3 and NV do cater towards different styles of exploration - I really didn't get on with playing 3 until I forced myself to sit through it during a time I lost my internet upteen years ago, and just played the game to just see what the world was about.

Ultimately, I just liked NV more because there was a structure to it - a limited amount of skill points and perks for a single character, hard decisions for character building and ultimately a defined route to take through the game - and even in that structure there were enough cracks in the armour that allowed you to circumvent those decisions regardless and let it play out your way. It's like a good sequence break in a Metroid-style game, or when something goes well out of sheer circumstance in a online shooter, it's incredibly more satisfying than finding something that's just.. well, there. Although I'm not going to yuck someone else's yum for that, there's certainly an itch to scratch there as well (and that's why I liked BOTW and FO76, albeit vastly different games).

• 3 weeks later...

Almost deserves it's own topic this.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2021/01/15/enormous-fallout-new-vegas-mod-the-frontier-launches-today/

Fallout: The Frontier is a huge expansion-sized mod for Fallout: New Vegas that’s been in the works for years now. It adds an entirely new map zone and storyline to New Vegas set in the wasteland of snowy Portland where three new factions are at war. The big project is launching today and it sure sounds like folks are excited to play it.

“The Frontier is an open world, similar in size to the DC wasteland, featuring a fully snowy Portland Oregon, with real life landmarks and locations,” say the creators. They say that the modded expansion takes place in the same time period as Fallout: New Vegas itself so you’ll be taking your familiar courier up north to investigate a new conflict.

On Nexus now. On Steam soon (Price. Free.)

• 2 weeks later...

There's been some hold up but I'm sure it's going to be....oh no.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-01-28-fallout-the-frontier-goes-offline-after-modder-accused-of-sharing-animated-paedophilic-content?

After crashing Nexus Mods on launch day and racking up 82k unique downloads, Fallout: The Frontier started to face accusations it was secretly a "fetish mod" - with critics highlighting a number of questionable moments from the mod as examples. Last night, things escalated rather dramatically, as one of the mod developers was ejected from the team for allegedly posting "animated paedophilic content". A few hours later, the entire mod was taken offline.

Hang on what?

By the early hours of the morning, project lead Thomas "tgspy" posted a message on behalf of the dev team to address the situation, explaining that a number of controversial lines in the mod were being removed, along with all the content made by the expelled developer. "We have received requests to remove some content provided to us by artists and voice actors, so we will be complying with these requests," tgspy added. "I will be pushing a final build to [Nexus Mods] and waiting for the steam build to be accepted. This will be the final official build pushed for The Frontier.

It can't be that gross can it?

Before last night's drama kicked off, the mod team was already facing criticism for containing "fetishy" content. Many of the complaints were centred on the companion character America, and in particular, a line of dialogue that allowed you to turn her into a slave. America also had a line describing the rather horrible condition of her feet, which is apparently appealing to some people. Both of these lines are now being removed from the mod.

The team had already removed other controversial scenes, including an "on the nose" line calling the Enclave fascists, and a skill check to have sex with a deathclaw (yes, really). 

Um....er....hmmmm. They reckon it's still coming to Steam.

THIS IS THE ONE THING... etc, etc.

In theory I suppose an RPG should allow you to roleplay as a disgusting creep if you want, but he should at least have tried to disguise it a bit with a few more innocuous options too.

More intrigued by this calling the enclave fascists issue being too 'on the nose'. Who are they afraid of offending there? Fascists? The Enclave?

1 minute ago, marsh said:

I'm tempted to try and play this on the PS3, I guess as long as I don't install the dlc I won't break it?

Be good training to get ready for after 'the event'

IIRC it more or less holds up for the main game, you might be able to get away with one or two DLCs too. It's more down to length of time playing, it seems it keeps spawning new objects that eventually overwhelm the PS3s paltry RAM. Choose wisely!

Not sure where the problem lies, but it looked very rough on PS3 hooked up to a LG OLED (B7). So rough in fact I decided to play it on PS NOW which is much better if you disregard the trash heap that's the Creation Engine. No DLC on PS NOW though.

34 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

The DLC for New Vegas is so good though, be a shame to miss that.

Lonesome Road was excellent. Best Fallout DLC there is.