IGNORED

Sci Fi recommendations

marlonharewood

It just gets better and better.

I just finished listening to Carl Marlantes' Matterhorn before listening to Wool, so my immediate reaction was that they were too different, but it sucked me in totally after about fifteen minutes.

I like the cover! It's actually pretty funny.

The problem is, Pusemyne is not a very good writer, or to be more precise, needs a lot more practice as a writer before becoming a good one. If you stick with it there are some interesting ideas in The Tower Falling, but they are kind of flattened by the over use of unnecessary description, the poor choice of words, the humour, such as it is, etc. I'm full of admiration for his achievement, but the execution is too poor.

Pulsemyne, my respectful advice, if you give a toss at all, is don't write another book just yet. Go and get yourself everything that Raymond Chandler has ever written, and read it all at least twice. Then rewrite The Tower Falling, with the aim of cutting out at least 50% of the words in each sentence, paring down on what each one is trying to convey. I think that would really make something decent out of it.

IANAW, of course! So feel free to tell me to take a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut, feel free to tell me to take a flying fuck at the moooooooooooooon.

Yeah, I took a look at the Search Inside in Amazon and the very first thing that struck me was that the third word of the first chapter is an unnecessary and clumsy adverb. And I'm personally not a fan of the way dialogue is handled at all - the lack of commas and full stops at the end of sentences within quotation marks makes my mind rebel at the thought of reading any further. Lots of missing apostrophes and stuff too. It's clear that it hasn't been proofread at all.

Zok. I have no problem with your analysis. The cover may be funny but it's true meaning is only revealed at the end. Then you'll understand why it isn't really a joke. I will say that the book improves as it goes on. Simply put I became a better writer.

As for the proof reading, well it's bloody hard doing it on your own. It's stunningly easy to miss things. I actually read through the book numerous times, on screen and as hardcopy, it's far too easy to let something slip through.

Also I never expected everyone to like it, but hey it's only 2 quid and if you have a chuckle or two or it makes you think a bit then I'm happy.

As far as being overly descriptive, or rather I fall into a trap or trying over cook things, it is something I'm all too well aware off. It is much less noticable towards the end of the first book and the new one. It is a valid criticism though.

In the end though all I did was write it because I enjoy writing. I mash through over a thousand words a day at the moment and I just really like it.

It might well improve as it goes on; this is why you do at the very least a second pass over anything you write. You don't need professional editors and proofreaders to rewrite your own work or produce a second draft, and proof-reading really isn't that difficult in the first place (although of course you'll miss stuff if you're trying to proof-read something that you've written yourself - even getting a friend to look over stuff can produce better results). The completely scattershot approach to punctuation is something you really need to address, and frankly it doesn't give a very good impression. Saying that proof-reading is hard isn't an excuse that'll fly with many people, and self-publishing doesn't excuse making a hash of these very basic aspects of writing.

The secret to self-editing, as Stephen King says, is to file away your work for a few months then go back to it later. Of course this also reveals its true quality, which is my hard drive is full of discarded broken dreams.

Funny you should say that as it's exactly what I did. Completed the book, thought about things for a while and then went back and cleared up plot holes etc. Anyway I'll stop shitting up the thread now. All I wanted to do was recommend my own sci fi book.