Red Steel 2

HarMGM

Nicked from neogaf who nicked from the webiste of Nintendo Power:

NP242_cover.png

I really like that new character design. If they can implement the damn sword controls this time, this is going to be pretty damn awesome.

I mean...it has cowboys, swords...and revolvers. What's not to like?

Please fix the way the AI works too, Ubisofters. Never mind the awful sword controls, the worst thing about the first one was the "you can spend exactly X seconds out of cover and then you'll be shot, no matter how you're moving" system. Once you notice it, you can't un-notice it :)

The first Red Steel made me want to cut my stomach out with a plastic controller, so hopefuly this will be better. I'd like to hear about how it actually plays or something more of it apart from the back of a fellas coat before saying I'd pick up anything with this name again.

Adapted Prince Of Persia engine, perhaps? Which I believe was an adapted version of Assassin's Creed's, the sequel of which may be coming to Wii in some form or another....

Or just dusting down XIII's? :wub:

Edit: No multi-player, apparently, which increases my hope for the game a bit. Too many developers shoe-horn such modes into their shooters and end up neglecting the single player.

I'm one of the few people who absolutely loved Red Steel. I thought it had great ambition and really tried to do some different things, granted, it was rushed for release and a bit rough around the edges but I thought it was really chock full of great ideas I'd like to see more of. I thought the setting was unusual - a lot of our FPS' are set in very traditional places. Modern day gangland underground - and the fun house was a real blast.

It felt more like an on rails shooter with freedom to move where and when. The pattern was more about targetting, taking cover then jumping out and firing.

Looking forward to seeing what they do with this... they've been working on it for quite a while now.

more details:

- Red Steel 2 is a series reboot

- runs at 60fps

- takes places in the fictional town of Caldera (think Tokyo meets Reno)

- when Ubisoft saw the MotionPlus, they decided to reboot and take things in a new direction

- cel-shaded style, much like XIII

- aiming for Teen rating “The gore just doesn’t fit for us and what we’re trying to do”

- no multiplayer

- Wii MotionPlus exclusive (can only play with Wii MotionPlus?)

- dual wielding Gun and sword might happen

As are cowboys. Poor Red Steel 2

They are not really cowboys.

Quote from the press release.

"Red Steel 2 returns with an artistic style and flair created just for Wii. Set in a desert-bound, high-tech metropolis, Red Steel 2 is a revolution in the action-fighting genre, taking full advantage of the capabilities of the Wii MotionPlus™ accessory. Your movements are faithfully replicated on-screen, putting the emphasis on swinging, shooting and fun! With the ability of the Wii MotionPlus to sense the strength of a swing, you will literally be able to make an impact on your adversaries through power and precision."