Red Steel 2

HarMGM

This'll be shite for the reasons Edge mentioned - over reliance on Motion+ interactions. Take the first game, 30 years of mouse based control simply wasn't 'waggle' enough for Red Steel team, so instead of just clicking on a menu item, you clicked and dragged it onto a billboard and then clicked a button to light up the billboard. Incredibly overwrought and unnecessary methods of fitting in the all the capabilities of the controller.

Or take the doors, to open doors you had to stand still, point the controllers up (taking your aim off the screen) and move one away from the other. This meant you'd open the door, be fixed to the spot and get riddled with bullets before you reacquired aim. Using a button, or a shake of the nunchuck, would have been much better as it would allow you to open doors while moving and without disrupting aim, but again wouldn't really show off that waggle functionality.

Their claim for 'plenty more non-combat uses for Motion Plus' just show they haven't learnt anything from the first game, other than the importance of a stable framerate.

This'll be shite for the reasons Edge mentioned - over reliance on Motion+ interactions. Take the first game, 30 years of mouse based control simply wasn't 'waggle' enough for Red Steel team, so instead of just clicking on a menu item, you clicked and dragged it onto a billboard and then clicked a button to light up the billboard. Incredibly overwrought and unnecessary methods of fitting in the all the capabilities of the controller.

Or take the doors, to open doors you had to stand still, point the controllers up (taking your aim off the screen) and move one away from the other. This meant you'd open the door, be fixed to the spot and get riddled with bullets before you reacquired aim. Using a button, or a shake of the nunchuck, would have been much better as it would allow you to open doors while moving and without disrupting aim, but again wouldn't really show off that waggle functionality.

Their claim for 'plenty more non-combat uses for Motion Plus' just show they haven't learnt anything from the first game, other than the importance of a stable framerate.

yeah! you didn't disappoint.

This game will be rubbish because of the things that the first game did that you didn't like!!

Motion plus means that the losing track of your aim thing can't happen any more, according to the demonstration video. Also none of the non-combat motion things they showed needed to be done during combat.

Looks very good.

I wish more third party Wii games aspired to look like cartoons - it would make so many games look more attractive, given the low-tech of the console. It's what I hoped EA meant when they announced their Madden re-design...a kind of hyper styilised 'cool' comic book style. Instead, it meant reducing the game to three different types of character model while leaving everything else the same. :(

yeah! you didn't disappoint.

This game will be rubbish because of the things that the first game did that you didn't like!!

You've argued against every point in that quote far more than I have and at much greater length, you just have a complete blindspot for this game, for no reason. Every criticism is just, 'Yeah, well that's your opinion' without counterpoint. I don't think you've actually said why you liked the first one once.

I don't think it's particularly fair to say this game will be rubbish because of some things that were rubbish in it's predecessor, especially when those things appear to have been addressed judging by the demonstration video. It doesn't even look like a sequel, if this wasn't called Red Steel 2 and you didn't know it was being made by Ubisoft, there's very little to tie the two together other than the sword/gun combo, which at least is being used more frequently and to greater effect this time.

You've argued against every point in that quote far more than I have and at much greater length, you just have a complete blindspot for this game, for no reason. Every criticism is just, 'Yeah, well that's your opinion' without counterpoint. I don't think you've actually said why you liked the first one once.

The first one nailed holding a gun and shooting it. For me it's as cut and dry as that. There have been immensely more capable FPS games released, but that feeling of pointing and shooting, even just twisting you gun and the actions being reflected on screen totally made the whole experience for me. Technical wobbles aside, I thought it was a more than capable FPS in it's own right.

Weapons were nice and meaty, there was some clever level design in there, the sword play worked well for what it was, and the graphics were competent, even if they trip up the frame rate now and again. Even stuff like taking out the leader than bowing the controller over him to force all his troops to down weapons was a great touch.

I know it wasn't a particularly well loved game, but even today I return to it for a quick go, just to experience the shooting.

On a happy note, all this talk has just reminded me that The Conduit is released this month, day one for that :(

Not 1:1 then.

RollEyes. SadFace.

In the developers walkthrough, he specifically says that the force of your swing is measured, and that it's crucial to beating certain enemies too, so I dare say somebody has messed up with the bullet points, or it means something else.

Ok, ignore the stupid trailer with the hot boy, and watch the thirteen minute long walkthrough, which makes the game look ... kind of ... ace? Oh god, Ubisoft is going to fool me twice.

Looks great. The graphical style totally suits the setting they've gone for, and I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of play on offer. Looking great.

At exactly 8 mins in that video, is the creepiest laugh I've heard in a long while!

I'm not sure it's on rails exactly, scott. It looks like an in-game cutscene. The part at the end where he shoots the guy on the motorbike - you don't aim and shoot using the controller (as I first thought). It's done for you.

I'm not sure it's on rails exactly, scott. It looks like an in-game cutscene. The part at the end where he shoots the guy on the motorbike - you don't aim and shoot using the controller (as I first thought). It's done for you.

fair enough - the cursor is moving about though, I'm assuming that's the player - so it's at least game engine and not pre-rendered? :unsure:

fair enough - the cursor is moving about though, I'm assuming that's the player - so it's at least game engine and not pre-rendered? :unsure:

It definitely looks a bit pre-rendered though, can't deny that. I'm thinking it's just a cutscene using all of the in-game assets with a level of polish on top of it.

Regardless... This game is going to rock my socks.

Loving the look of this. They've really nailed the style in a way stuff like the Conduit simply doesn't. Slightly worried about whether the combat will get repetitive but interested now where I wasn't before.

1) Metroid Mother/Thermo/Other M

2) SMG 2

3) Red Steel II

4) Capcom vs Tatsunoko

5) NSMB Wii

Two, Cyh? TWO?

.::: Tatsunoko has yet to include the Samurai Pizza Cats so yes, only Other M and Red Steel 2 for now.

• 2 months later...
That looks pretty basic. So you're still just triggering sword animations then?

I imagine there should be the basic 8 cuts. And it it registered speed of strike. And several blocks. And probably the odd special move. In pad terms, it's actually quite complicated.

A gesture based system makes more sense for this sort of hybrid game than the more realistic control in Wii Sports Resort. Having to constantly switch from aiming the pointer to holding it like a sword would be really annoying.

• 4 weeks later...