Red Steel 2

HarMGM

Well this has certainly improved since my first session. The missions are longer, less repetition, better locales, better unlockable moves, more enemy types and a train level. It's still quite easy to just flailesly waggle your enemies to death, but I have picked up a couple of decent combos now that I tend to use. I'll even admit it's quite satisfying executing a finishing move with a swing of the arm, even for a motion-hater like myself.

So yeah, recommended. This is the type of game (gamer's game, not dumbed down) that I would like to see the Wii get more of.

Just a shame there's no multiplayer as I reckon it could've been quite good online.

Well this has certainly improved since my first session. The missions are longer, less repetition, better locales, better unlockable moves, more enemy types and a train level. It's still quite easy to just flailesly waggle your enemies to death, but I have picked up a couple of decent combos now that I tend to use. I'll even admit it's quite satisfying executing a finishing move with a swing of the arm, even for a motion-hater like myself.

So yeah, recommended. This is the type of game (gamer's game, not dumbed down) that I would like to see the Wii get more of.

Just a shame there's no multiplayer as I reckon it could've been quite good online.

WIN!

Dunzo! The Wii Message Board tells me I took just over 10 hours to beat the game, so that's quite decent for a First Person Sworder or whatever you want to call this spesific genre. I guess you could finish it in about 6 or 7 if you don't bother with the side missions, but to be honest, you'd probably struggle for cash and upgrades then. So yeah, do 'em.

Blatant Edge 8, with which I'd agree.

It does. Train levels are just the best, aren't they? Improves a game tenfold.

Incidentally, if whoever else is playing this can tell me how to check the number of tokens I've found, it would be much appreciated. I can't seem to find a stats page anywhere.

IGN UK Review

xFLlp.png

There's no doubt that designing Red Steel 2 around Wii MotionPlus controls was an inspired decision, and Ubisoft deserves enormous credit for demonstrating just how much potential resides in Nintendo's woefully underused tech. As a template for how to combine shooting and swordplay within one intuitive, fluid control system, Red Steel 2 is an incredible achievement. But the bottom line is that the game takes a little too long to get going, and when it does it's all over way too soon.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/107/1079264p1.html

IGN US Video Review. (may contain spoilers)

http://uk.wii.ign.com/dor/objects/867131/r...vdr_032210.html

Eurogamer Review

There are some thrilling set-pieces in here, along with moments that rank amongst the Wii's most beautiful, including a midnight rooftop race to catch a train which plays out under a huge cream-coloured moon. It's a lovely sequence.

As with any good Western - or any good samurai film - Red Steel 2 is ultimately about character: it's flawed, certainly, but entirely honourable with it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/red-steel-2-wii-review

Feck, completely forgotten I had ordered this at Amazon until an email popped in my inbox telling me it has dispatched. Although reading some reviews and your impressions makes me think I'll give it a try. It was also a cheap way of getting another Motion Plus anyway (probably the reason I pre-ordered it to begin with becuase I thought £30 for the game plus Motion Plus was a mistake or something).

It'sa real shame this wasn't ready for the Motion Plus launch. It shows off the capabilities better than Grand Slam Tennis. The pointer is so stable and I had no need to worry about the lack of control setup options - it doesn't need any coz it's perfect. I'm only about an hour in but I've had a blast. I just wish Ubisoft had kept the Japanese setting of the original.

Rented this today and it's not bad. It just feels like I'm moving from one arena to the next though rather than being one town. Maybe it's the obvious loading between areas. Then combats seems clunky to me and wish it's was just about the sword play rather than guns. Graphics suit the game nicely.

I still can't get over how incredibly shit the main character design is! :facepalm:

what - the big jacket and sword guy that you play... what's wrong with it?

It's a very tightly designed game - much less of a FPS and more of a first person combat game... sword fighting is really effective and combos are satisfying to pull off. The camera moves around well and gives a great impression of being a head on a body, rather than a floating singularity.

I'm at the first real boss - Payne - damn hard.

looks like a comic book character to me... a Canadian French idea of a futuristic Japanese bloke in the wild west.

The music is also ace.

Also, I'm impressed at how easy and fast it is to switch between sword and gun. Nicely done.

there is something quite basic about the level design. Most minons can be dispatched with wild waggle. And environments are basic. I know people are going to scream immaturity but no blood and not being able to hack off body parts is a disappointment. Also a few times the remote has not picked my movements. I think the announcement of the playstation move may have taken the shine off of this game which is a shame as it's a decent but no great and worth a rental.