Red Steel 2

HarMGM

you can win beat em ups with button mashing... it's not the point. The combat is great and the Move has no impact on this whatsoever

This is not a 1 on 1 beat em up so spamming moves should not apply. As I said it's got dated game design and it's too little too late. There does not seem to much interest in this game by this forum and there is a general lack of buzz on the interweb around this game that's why I mentioned the ps move.

Are there any other motion plus games on the horizon besides Zelda? Lack of support for it seems shocking as they must of shifted a few with wii sports resort.

the 'core'

Glad how you call em the 'core', c'mon guys there was a time where all we needed was a good game regardless of graphics, production values, platform and we'll jump on it cause the game is good. There is a big negative stigma about the wii and good core games are getting hurt!

b686daf0d6b4430ff3fd246c559501cd.jpg

Anyway, yeah its more comparable to god hand the the original red steel, do not have much time to play it, but ill give it some more time

the sword combat in this is plenty deep... I've unlocked a bunch of special moves which are ace... chucking guys up in the air and then following them. The action freezes while you get to bust a couple of moves and then you come down for the finish move. The tiger block as well is a real counter move. There's tons to the sword fighting here and it's really rewarding.

I've no idea how you can say just wildly waggling will see you through... I died loads of Payne until I started blocking, side stepping and using combos.

This game has really sunk it's hooks into me!

I think for the first hour or so, I was face palming all over the place. A small (albeit beautiful Borderlands style) world, a weird tiny hub system and a sword fighting system which seemed to have only made baby steps forward since the first game. The first hour really is a struggle to get through, but as others have said, the more you play, the better it gets and I'm now at the point where I'd say this is one of the finest examples of what a Wii action game can be.

The hub system has progressed into a much bigger world now, and the levels (whilst steeped in the same style as the rest of the game) have started to become more varied and interesting. The mix of Western and Japanese cultural stylings has resulted in a fantastical world, which comfortably fits the story and characters within. The music goes on to enforce that mix, throwing out sharp Japanese fighting themes for the action segments, whilst reverting to a more laid back smokey western sound for the rest.

Crucially of course, the fighting system has picked up ten fold. The variety of moves and care taken with how to trigger them offers a perfect balance of practically being able to perform impressive and devastating attacks, whilst keeping the feeling of sword control within the realms of how you swing your Wiimote. Guns compliment the sword play perfectly, taking on more of an active role than a simple sub-weapon, but being of most use when used in conjunction with sword combos.

Battles with multiple enemies can quickly become overwhelming, but once you master key moves, the speed with which you can despatch a group of enemies is incredibly empowering. The boss battles can become sticking points, but with the intuitive counter system, you can soon learn the patterns needed to defeat them.

The game does lack a certain flow. Enemies are almost always gathered in arena type areas, (maybe a necessity of the sword fighting?) making the general level design feel contrived. That's not to say it all feels like an expanded rendition of Mad World, as many of the main missions will lead you on a varied linear route, but due to the levels always being structured around a hub, you will end up backtracking an awful lot. It's not as bad as it sounds, but neither does it feel like you're part of a sprawling adventure.

Although Scott's comments on Wii games now seem to fall on deaf/jaded ears, he's right to say that this is a game worth picking up. With the lack of developer support for motion plus and Red Steel 2's own chart failings (it debuted at 34 in the UK chart) this does feel like the franchise' swan song, and given the poor sales, I can't see many publishers rolling the dice on more games of it's type. It's a shame as there's much to enjoy here, and until Sony's Move drops, it's an experience you simply can't get elsewhere.

good write up there...

had this game been a debut game for the Move - it would be selling better... but I don't think it would've been any different. Fast, smooth and good looking graphics, great music and a deep and satisfying sword fighting combat system. It's the kind of game that people imagined when the Wii was announced.

good write up there...

had this game been a debut game for the Move - it would be selling better... but I don't think it would've been any different. Fast, smooth and good looking graphics, great music and a deep and satisfying sword fighting combat system. It's the kind of game that people imagined when the Wii was announced.

Are you mad? Or is that a mistype? You seriously think the game would have been no different?

Are you mad? Or is that a mistype? You seriously think the game would have been no different?

yeap - the graphics may have been sharper, but I don't see where there would've been significantly different from a gameplay perspective.

Gameplay is linked to the horse power of the graphics tech for a lot of action games since when do the HD machines just offer the same gameplay but 'just sharper graphics'.

If it was a debut game built ground up for the Move like it was the Wii most definelty would be a different game. Most probably would not be cel-shaded for a start, level design and small arenas would have been more open, blood and limb hacking, online features, more gameplay features to take advantage of the Move's improved motion tech*, 5.1 sound (hear when baddies attack from behind), improved physics, more interactive environments. Take your pick. This game was made with the Wii in mind and played to its strengths and weaknesses no doubt it would have been played to the ps3's and thus a different game.

*Not entirely sure if Move's motion tech is improved

Gameplay is linked to the horse power of the graphics tech for a lot of action games since when do the HD machines just offer the same gameplay but 'just sharper graphics'.

If it was a debut game built ground up for the Move like it was the Wii most definelty would be a different game. Most probably would not be cel-shaded for a start, level design and small arenas would have been more open, blood and limb hacking, online features, more gameplay features to take advantage of the Move's improved motion tech*, 5.1 sound (hear when baddies attack from behind), improved physics, more interactive environments. Take your pick. This game was made with the Wii in mind and played to its strengths and weaknesses no doubt it would have been played to the ps3's and thus a different game.

*Not entirely sure if Move's motion tech is improved

IMO - the game benefits from being cell-shaded as it brings a great comic-book style to the game. There's a fear of cel-shading now which is a real shame.

Blood and limb-hacking. Would not have improved the game.

A more realistic and bloody version I think would have been less interesting.

Online features. What would you like here? The Wii can do online too - I do think that having an online arena of sword wielding people as powerful as the main character would be a total nightmare and a mess of a game, with people just spamming 'The Storm' over and over.

Something I'll give you would be perhaps larger environments and shorter loading times when opening doors.

IMO - the game benefits from being cell-shaded as it brings a great comic-book style to the game. There's a fear of cel-shading now which is a real shame.

Blood and limb-hacking. Would not have improved the game.

A more realistic and bloody version I think would have been less interesting.

Online features. What would you like here? The Wii can do online too - I do think that having an online arena of sword wielding people as powerful as the main character would be a total nightmare and a mess of a game, with people just spamming 'The Storm' over and over.

Something I'll give you would be perhaps larger environments and shorter loading times when opening doors.

I beg to differ, the mini game in WSR where you are hacking fruit and various objects in half was fun. Imagine hacking enemies limbs and bodies in half blood spraying everywhere true samuari style of course with the option to turn it off. Imagine injured baddies that still try to fight on, run away or defend themselves with one hand, arm or leg. Gameplay possiblties open up if you ask me.

I've just done the train level and while I've been really enjoying it, I'm hoping it ends fairly soon. I found the level where you had to open the big gate much more enjoyable than the earlier missions which just seemed to end in an arena fight after a simple objective. The tedium is setting in slightly. It's also a game I can't play for much more than an hour at a time. I think this has something to do with the save system. While it does sometimes save mid-mission, I prefer to save when I get back to the base. Still a great game though.

I beg to differ, the mini game in WSR where you are hacking fruit and various objects in half was fun. Imagine hacking enemies limbs and bodies in half blood spraying everywhere true samuari style of course with the option to turn it off. Imagine injured baddies that still try to fight on, run away or defend themselves with one hand, arm or leg. Gameplay possiblties open up if you ask me.

You basically want a game of this.... :D

monty-python-and-the-holy-grail1.jpg

If these are your ideas of gameplay innovation, all I can say is thank fuck you don't design videogames.

I knew its a matter of time before I got the 'thanks god your not a designer' but that was not my main point its was just something a threw out off the top of my head. Anyway its a decent game but not great game thats all.

No actually what was wrong with my idea...no really? Little bit of development and it could be a tenner out of a tenner.

This is reminding me of MadWorld, but a version where they remembered to make the core gameplay fun.

Not so keen on the "follow the green arrow, fight X bastards" structure, so glad I only rented it.

I've put about 4 hours in so far...and am loving it. Graphically it really is quite something on the Wii.

4 plums out of a jar of jam from me.

Not so keen on the "follow the green arrow, fight X bastards" structure, so glad I only rented it.

If you do just follow that arrow all the time though, you miss out on quite a bit - lots of the side quests involve doing a little exploration beyond the immediate next objective.

yeap - I didn't really realise that until a bit further in the game.

It's one of the few games where I relish the chance to get into a bit of combat.

My favourite move is The Matador, followed by a stab and then the shoot in the face finisher (with a shotgun of course).

I love flinging guys in the air and then chasing them in slow motion and finishing them off in mid air.

Here's a thing I'd love to have seen - since the combat is so kinetic... a theatre mode, where you can play back your fight and shoot your own hong kong movie.

It would have been better on Move for two reasons. A lot less loading in game, those tiny environments and waiting doors do take the piss somewhat. Finally it would do away with the calibration issues that seem to plague the Wii MotionPlus.

Other than that I'm quite enjoying it now. I was planing to return it after one of the worst beginnings to a game in recent memory. Thankfully reading Robo_1's post on the previous page about how it gets better made me persevere. Now that the combat is interesting and I'm not just killing one person before returning to base it certainly is more fun.

Got me swinging my arms about on the sofa like a loon.