Forza Motorsport 3

Vin

The Dinos and the Astons were fucking awesome. Can't say I cared much for the GT40 though. I like my cars to have brakes and steering.

Amazing scenes though! :)

pfft!

The GT40 is awesome. You just have to remember it brakes and turns like an oil tanker.

pfft!

The GT40 is awesome. You just have to remember it brakes and turns like an oil tanker.

:)

Add that to my limited knowledge of Road America and you have a recipe for disaster.

Not keen on the Porsches either. I think anything that requires a lot of skill to drive isn't suited to multiplayer unless we're all good. A few races with Imprezas and Evos would be nice.

I was absolutely rubbish tonight, both on the wheel and using the controller :)

Don't lose heart. If I come up against a tricky car or a track I don't know then I'm all over the place and causing crashes. You just need to do some laps in single player to learn the main tracks like Maple Valley, Road Atlanta, Sebring, Silverstone etc...

So you're telling me I'm not hardcore either? Say that again after you've seen
*It's easier with the pad than with the wheel. :)

It is harder with a wheel, but more natural as well.

Joe, you're a showroom cars lover. Moaning at me picking the Datsun, eh? Road cars > sports cars. :D

I was absolutely rubbish tonight, both on the wheel and using the controller :doh:

Did you have a look in the wheel setup thread in Online?

It is harder with a wheel, but more natural as well.

Joe, you're a showroom cars lover. Moaning at me picking the Datsun, eh? Road cars > sports cars. :D

No, you've got that the wrong way around mate :) YOU love cars like that crappy Datsun, so YOU are a showroom car lover.

I prefer my cars race-prepped and feisty, but for competitive sake, not too much. Like the F355 Challenge!

you know when a games got yea when its happily competing against the likes of Fifa/Rockband/COD real dilemma when i turn the 360 on

love it

Know exactly what you mean.. bought Ballad of Gay Tony today and all the time Ive been playing it.. I was either thinkling about racing or my next decal design! :)

Did you have a look in the wheel setup thread in Online?

Yes, I did and it improved considerably although I don't like your POV settings, bonnet cam all the way for me, the cockpit view is too claustrophobic for me.

After blowing off some steam by painting some decals I returned to the single player game with the wheel and managed to win a series of races with more difficult settings than I used before on the pad. Now I use manual gears and only have ABS and TCS turned on to prevent the worst spinning out and I'm starting to 'feel it', how much pressure to apply to the pedals, how to control the steering, edging the car between razorsharp cornering and spinning out ... it's improving slowly but steadily. My wheel skills are definitely not good enough to be competitive online, but I'm getting there.

Loved the racing tonight fellas! Some of the cars were great to drive. But that GT40 ... you guys pick that again and I'll quit! :)

Man you guys are reading form the book of wrong. :D

The GT40 is awesome to drive once you get your head around it. This car won Le Mans 4 years on the trot for a reason.

Heads up guys.. any LCE owners.. Just got an ingame message saying the Free Premium theme is available now. Just downloading it.

Was that via the normal messaging system? Cos I've had fuck all :)

edit: nevermind, found it on the marketplace and it seems anyone can download it. The LCE has been a waste of fucking money so far!

I saw some impressive AI behaviour on Hard difficulty last night; overtaking each other, but holding back as well once they discovered they wouldn't make the upcoming corner, falling in behind the car they tried to overtake. They definitely see eachother and you on the track, and act accordingly. Sometimes they make mistakes, misjudging certain situations (brake points, overtakes, or blind angle unawareness) and just fucking up because of it. Definitely a leap over the AI found in FM2, from what I saw on Hard.

It makes me want to play the career mode now, whereas I couldn't be arsed with it in FM2. I think that's saying something?

I saw some impressive AI behaviour on Hard difficulty last night; overtaking each other, but holding back as well once they discovered they wouldn't make the upcoming corner, falling in behind the car they tried to overtake. They definitely see eachother and you on the track, and act accordingly. Sometimes they make mistakes, misjudging certain situations (brake points, overtakes, or blind angle unawareness) and just fucking up because of it. Definitely a leap over the AI found in FM2, from what I saw on Hard.

It makes me want to play the career mode now, whereas I couldn't be arsed with it in FM2. I think that's saying something?

It also means you can sensibly get this without it being obvious which 1 is the human.

4055855408_96ab788670.jpg

I'm not the only one it seems! Thought I was imagining it and hesitated posting my findings here in fear of being ridiculed and called a fanboy again! :lol:

I've never seen AI behaviour this good in any racing game ever. It's certainly NOT on-rails.

i've been hit by the AI in such shit ways, doing some nordschleife point to point thing on season play and i'd pull off from the line only to be slammed into and smashed into a barrier, it happened 2-3 times i think at the start of that race.

That's what it may have seemed like they haven't seen you, but the one ramming you probably dodged another AI car that crossed in front of it, and accidentally hit you in the process. It would happen with human players too, so it's not that different.

They also have a go at you if you had a go at them earlier, and every AI driver also has a personality; Rossi is rather aggressive, for example. A bit like McSpeed.

I had a great race against McSpeed in the BMWs, pipped him to third on the really long straight before the final corner of the last lap, and manage to hold position despite Joe taking that final corner a bit better than me (I ran a little wide). I save the replay and will chuck some pics up later.

Joe is aggressive but very very fair. If you shut the door he will drop back. He is always looking for an overtake though so you are constantly defending, knowing if he sees a gap he will have a sighter.

Meerman is different prospect altogether. He is constantly in you mirrors, he rides you and tries to force you into a mistake.

I happily follow for lap after lap and wait for an opportunity. Romer fell victim to this at Road America, when I sat on his bumper for 10 laps until he made the slightest mistake and I took full advantage. It means I am shit at short distance races though.

The AI in FM3 makes FM2's AI look like it's running on a ZX Spectrum!

Since I started playing Forza 3, I keep thinking back to the first simulation/racing game I played on a home computer, Chequered Flag on the Sinclair Spectrum. Just for comparison, here's how far we've come in 26 years.

chequered.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVeJAlt05-g

I remember the main hazards being patches of water and oil on the track. But I was thinking that I've not seen these in Forza, so there's still room for improvement :lol:

Joe is aggressive but very very fair. If you shut the door he will drop back. He is always looking for an overtake though so you are constantly defending, knowing if he sees a gap he will have a sighter.

Meerman is different prospect altogether. He is constantly in you mirrors, he rides you and tries to force you into a mistake.

I happily follow for lap after lap and wait for an opportunity. Romer fell victim to this at Road America, when I sat on his bumper for 10 laps until he made the slightest mistake and I took full advantage. It means I am shit at short distance races though.

Joe uses every gap available to get past. Two days ago as well, when I witnessed him overtaking RockstarJez through a very tight gap between Jez' car and the railing. I was driving behind them, saw it and admired the action by Joe. It looked calculated, and I think it was too. Joe's not as reckless as he used to be.

I love to swarm, aye. Teasing my opponents. Looking for a gap as well, but calculating every move.

Smith always knows what he's doing. He practically knows the end results before we're even off the grid. :lol:

As for you, Brad...I can't pin your driving style yet. Maybe 'scavenger' would be the appropriate term? We need to drive more often, especially now you're on manual gears, which may have changed the way you race now.