Forza Motorsport 3

Vin

I feel like that, i'm too afraid to go online at the moment though!

You shouldn't be. There are so many people there who are amazing at this game that you will get trumped unless you're a natural or play this religiously. I'm in it for the fun and the banter and sometimes I end up with other rubbish players and manage to win a couple of races.

The days of serious competitive Xbox Live nights are behind me, I don't have the time to keep up and be THA BEST. I'm happy if I have the time to play a couple of hours and be half competent.

Kill me for saying this but been having some awesome sessions with Hoodedclaw, Devil-Goh, Funtime Dave and a few others over the past week.

Goes without saying we aren't tier zero manual and clutch wheel boys, but we have a great time and if there are a few accidental scrapes and bumps, everyone apologies and we carry on. We are all of a similar skill level and seem to be learning the ropes.

My scalextric lane changing has stopped now

:)

Erm...which one is the human?

Or, rather, which one would the human be if it were obvious? The one in the middle?

4055855408_96ab788670.jpg

The human (i.e - me) is the Red Bull car on the left. The AI in the middle slipstreamed and went for a move on the Porsche, I saw the space and was carrying even more speed having been drafting HIM.

The clue for people who either know too much racing or have played too much of the game is that the Red Bull car is not a real or in game livery, I bought it off the storefront. The car begun life looking identical to the 2nd Ferrari in the background, namely the #62 Risi Competition F430.

Gutted I forgot to save the replay from that 20 lap of Camino Extreme :P

My race was pretty epic on there, tailng HaskNL for about 10 laps, unable to find a gap to get past him, until he finally ran wide slightly onto the grass and I slipped through and proceeded to chase down Meerman. Got right on his tail and it was looking good for a nice close finish, until I twatted into the back of him big time when his car slowed drastically on that 'sticky' paint through that last complex section :)

Sorry about that again boss, but I think I would've need fighter pilot reflexes to have avoided you there.

Was a great race til then, just a shame it ended with mangled metal.

Gutted I forgot to save the replay from that 20 lap of Camino Extreme :P

It has just been uploaded to the Storefront :)

Great racing guys! Loved the endurence race, although tt'll really be exciting when pitstops come in. Perhaps 20 laps around Le Mans next time?

My race was pretty epic on there, tailng HaskNL for about 10 laps, unable to find a gap to get past him, until he finally ran wide slightly onto the grass and I slipped through and proceeded to chase down Meerman.

Haha, you noticed that eh? :P

I felt like I was holding you up big time (sorry 'bout that!), but I was fighting for my position! :)

My race was pretty epic on there, tailng HaskNL for about 10 laps, unable to find a gap to get past him, until he finally ran wide slightly onto the grass and I slipped through and proceeded to chase down Meerman. Got right on his tail and it was looking good for a nice close finish, until I twatted into the back of him big time when his car slowed drastically on that 'sticky' paint through that last complex section :P

Sorry about that again boss, but I think I would've need fighter pilot reflexes to have avoided you there.

Was a great race til then, just a shame it ended with mangled metal.

And I'm sorry about my outburst of frustration when that happened. It was most definitely not your fault and there wasn't anything you could do in that fraction of a second.

I'm just angry at those sticky patches. One track has them on the outside of the track, and the other hasn't. They need to be removed for online, and let them remove the online lap times upload to leaderboard as well. No-one does clean laps online, you won't even have your time registered when slipstreaming, or hit a cone for example. What's the point of having the sticky paint outside of the time-trial mode other than to stop shortcutting?

Haha, you noticed that eh? :P

I felt like I was holding you up big time (sorry 'bout that!), but I was fighting for my position! :angry:

Well done sir! :)

This is on the storefront, right?

The logo is, not sure about the whole thing though.

No-one does clean laps online

you can when you're infront! or have a bit of space :) plenty of lap times on the leaderboards on forza 2 i set online, but it was a better system probably, you get a time penalty if you go off and that's about it.. i'm not fond of this new uncertified business and the sticky grass i can understand on the insides of corners at excessive speed, but on this they seem to put it on fast corners and close to the edge, sometimes on the outside of corners too which seems stupid, surely it's penalty enough that i've just gone wide and lost a bit of time.. meh, just one of the things i guess i'm not fond of but might make sense one day.

It was that sticky grass that caused me to be involved in an accident at one point. I got caught in sticky paint that slows you waaaaaaaaaay too much and got hit from behind. Not the fault of the racer behind me as he cannot be expected to slow down at that corner every lap on the off chance someone will get caught by sticky paint.

Hard AI in this is HARD! I like to compete with the AI in an equal car - boosting the PI to get a win defeats the object - and I'm posting lap times in an uncompetetive car that are among the top 1% just to come in second.

Unfortunately, in this regard, the game is terribly unbalanced. You could beat the 'medium'AI blindfolded, so there's absolutely no challenge there. Also, with the game set on 'hard', the difference between the top two AI competitors at the end of a race can easily be 10 seconds or more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the challenge offered by the best AI driver, but it's not really a race. It's just two cars going head to head whilst the remaining six vehicles languish half a lap behind.

The game ideally needs a setting between medium and hard, and I'm at a loss as to how Turn 10 could allow the unbalanced nature of the game to go unnoticed.

Hard AI in this is HARD! I like to compete with the AI in an equal car - boosting the PI to get a win defeats the object - and I'm posting lap times in an uncompetetive car that are among the top 1% just to come in second.

Unfortunately, in this regard, the game is terribly unbalanced. You could beat the 'medium'AI blindfolded, so there's absolutely no challenge there. Also, with the game set on 'hard', the difference between the top two AI competitors at the end of a race can easily be 10 seconds or more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the challenge offered by the best AI driver, but it's not really a race. It's just two cars going head to head whilst the remaining six vehicles languish half a lap behind.

The game ideally needs a setting between medium and hard, and I'm at a loss as to how Turn 10 could allow the unbalanced nature of the game to go unnoticed.

And that was true of F2 as well.

The old Papyrus games always used to use a %. As in anything from 70-130% in 1% increments. That was a lot more use.

It has just been uploaded to the Storefront ^_^

Ooh cool. I forgot you can do that now. I'll check it out later, ta.

Haha, you noticed that eh? :lol:

I felt like I was holding you up big time (sorry 'bout that!), but I was fighting for my position! :D

Nah not at all. I did have a bit of speed on you once I got past yes, but you were certainly quick enough to mean that I didn't see many opportunities to go for a clean overtake, so I just had to stay as close as possible and hope you slipped up eventually, or a better chance to get past appeared.

To be fair...

Its the nature of the game though - the balanced PI races are much better. Most of the early races are using varying PI and the AI uses that to full effect. If you see a car thats faster then another it will go faster then another. In real life cars don't have wildy varying PI - well they don't have any, but you get my point.

Set up an AI multiplayer race with all cars balanced to see my point.

Sticky patches on racing games are really stupid. It's the single worst thing about Forza 3 and should have died with the megadrive.

You don't want me there? Put in something to stop me.

What if its a real track? You suggest placing something that doesn't exist into a track making it different from real life? And you think no-one would (perhaps the track owners / licensor's) who sign off the tracks would ever notice?

What if its a real track? You suggest placing something that doesn't exist into a track making it different from real life? And you think no-one would (perhaps the track owners / licensor's) who sign off the tracks would ever notice?

I doubt the real tracks have grass that magically stops cars from 150-0 in 0.5 seconds so that ship's already sailed. There's got to be a better idea than that kind of immersion breaking wrench out of the world though.

That said, several games DO just that. GT4's recreation of Monaco for instance invented barriers where none exist. At the harbour chicane for a start.

Well, if its a choice between having those slowdown boxes and shattering some peoples perception of 'realism' but keeping online play fair, or not having slowdown boxes and having everyone online cut corners, I know which I choose: the lesser of two evils.

There's multiple other options though.

Make it a server option, have some kind of actual penalty system like NFS : Shift, Make the glass slippy rather than gluey....

Online play IS fair in both instances, you always have the option to do the same as any opponent, what it becomes is less realistic but since the replacement is currently something REALLY unrealistic....