Forza Motorsport 3

Vin

There's multiple other options though.

Make it a server option, have some kind of actual penalty system like NFS : Shift, Make the glass slippy rather than gluey....

Online play IS fair in both instances, you always have the option to do the same as any opponent, what it becomes is less realistic but since the replacement is currently something REALLY unrealistic....

Well, if the 'glass' was slippy, you could still easily cut in a straight line.

And as for the second comment, don't be ridiculous. If you are complaining about realism, cutting corners like that would have you disqualified in a real race. Also, it would frustrate many more people. I've played Grid online where a massive row of people were cutting huge sections out of donington, literally around 10 - 20 meters from the track all in a row, how 'realistic' is that?

Well, if the 'glass' was slippy, you could still easily cut in a straight line.

And as for the second comment, don't be ridiculous. If you are complaining about realism, cutting corners like that would have you disqualified in a real race. Also, it would frustrate many more people. I've played Grid online where a massive row of people were cutting huge sections out of donington, literally around 10 - 20 meters from the track all in a row, how 'realistic' is that?

Then have a flag system in place. When one makes an error and is stopped like that causing others to slam into him, then that is unfair on them. Or drop the speed by a smaller amount, not a virtual standstill.

Then have a flag system in place. When one makes an error and is stopped like that causing others to slam into him, then that is unfair on them. Or drop the speed by a smaller amount, not a virtual standstill.

I can sympathise with the slowdown box being too powerful, yes.

As for the flag comment, who has a flag system in place? Real racing, not GRID right? The problem with implementing a flag system is that the player may ignore the flag command. Also, other players need to be aware that the guy cutting the corner is being penalised.

I'm not saying that slowdown boxes are an amazing solution, but it's one that has been proved to be useful in the face of all these problems and I'd rather have them than people cutting sections of the track.

So that person should be sent to last place. If your going to do real racing...do it properly. Don't have some mechanic that doesn't exist.

Its the wrong approach - you don't write a game that nearly emulates real racing properly, then have some mechanic that doesn't exist. I mean at least make it gravel - not some surface that looks the same and just paint white lines on it.

I can sympathise with the slowdown box being too powerful, yes.

As for the flag comment, who has a flag system in place? Real racing, not GRID right? The problem with implementing a flag system is that the player may ignore the flag command. Also, other players need to be aware that the guy cutting the corner is being penalised.

I'm not saying that slowdown boxes are an amazing solution, but it's one that has been proved to be useful in the face of all these problems and I'd rather have them than people cutting sections of the track.

If they do it a certain amount of times they get a forced drive through. CPU can take over towards end of a lap and drive them through the pits. Safer than the current situation.

So that person should be sent to last place. If your going to do real racing...do it properly. Don't have some mechanic that doesn't exist.

Its the wrong approach - you don't write a game that nearly emulates real racing properly, then have some mechanic that doesn't exist. I mean at least make it gravel - not some surface that looks the same and just paint white lines on it.

As I said, licensor's would have a real problem with changing the set-up of the tracks.

Also, I personally think it's better to maintain a cheat free environment, where people can confidently set a great lap time on a leaderboard or head online without fear of intertwats making everything shitty.

If they do it a certain amount of times they get a forced drive through. CPU can take over towards end of a lap and drive them through the pits. Safer than the current situation.

I guess, but that seems a bit hit and miss. If you made a mistake with a braking point and accidentally cut through a chicane and then had to drive through the pits because of this, it would seem very unfair. If you give them a limit before they have to drive through the pit, cheaters will just learn the limit and cheat until they know they will be punished.

That said, it's a really interesting solution from Codemasters there.

As I said, licensor's would have a real problem with changing the set-up of the tracks.

Also, I personally think it's better to maintain a cheat free environment, where people can confidently set a great lap time on a leaderboard or head online without fear of intertwats making everything shitty.

But the main track its a problem on isn't even real! At least make it clear where the chicane is on Cajimo extreme and Ladera. And anyway there is no track in the world that looks like it has Tarmac and where going off suddenly slows you down.

You have to have sand so it makes it clear where the sand is.

Race Pro has a penalty system that black flags you if you cut more than once, works ok but sometimes it's harsh when you mess up your braking and get booted for it.

I'd like a system that makes you drive slow for 5 seconds if you do anything naughty.

Race Pro has a penalty system that black flags you if you cut more than once, works ok but sometimes it's harsh when you mess up your braking and get booted for it.

I'd like a system that makes you drive slow for 5 seconds if you do anything naughty.

GP4 (and possibly earlier ones) used that approach.

They already have that for laps, if they skip the track the lap is already invalid. For heading online we've already said at least put it in control of the server owner.

I'm still not convinced about that first line too, we've already had one example of a track being changed.

This video is beyond epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts3-zC0TZws...feature=related

Fantastic Corvette GT2 vs. Porsche GT3-RSR racing in the closing laps of the ALMS series at Laguca Seca. Ensure you see the last twenty seconds.

AMAZE'.

We actually had quite some moments from that video in some Forza 3 online races as well ^_^ Like the overtaking by using a backmarker at 1:50!

Another amazing racing video: the GT2 finish of the 2007 12 hours of Sebring. Epic battle:

But the main track its a problem on isn't even real! At least make it clear where the chicane is on Cajimo extreme and Ladera. And anyway there is no track in the world that looks like it has Tarmac and where going off suddenly slows you down.

You have to have sand so it makes it clear where the sand is.

Well, I'm really speaking in general terms, not Forza's. I don't know your specific case TBH.

Can't remember what game it was and I may have even imagined it. If a player skipped the course, they ghosted out until the end of the race with a DNF. Something on the PC?

That sounds WELL harsh.

I really sympathise guys, but there are many people you'd piss off by making these changes.

This video is beyond epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts3-zC0TZws...feature=related

Fantastic Corvette GT2 vs. Porsche GT3-RSR racing in the closing laps of the ALMS series at Laguca Seca. Ensure you see the last twenty seconds.

AMAZE'.

That. Was. Brilliant! Cheers for the link.

Another amazing racing video: the GT2 finish of the 2007 12 hours of Sebring. Epic battle:

JEEZ, now THAT is hard racing! 12 hours and to finish like that?!? Amazing stuff.

Just got to the forced R3 race series, which I have to do to move forward with season mode. However, I haven't been given any R3 cars, which is a bit silly.

So, I just bought a Panoz Esparante, for 250,000 credits. It's ultra fast, but my GAWD do you have to be careful with the throttle - a moment too early and it'll swap ends faster than you can react.

Is anyone else getting slight popping and crackling in the audio during races?

Been getting this, was wondering if it was my speakers but I guess not.

Back to this, there was a thread about it on the Forza forums with the audio engine developer asking if anyone could send in a sample of it, sent some and got a reply. Apparently it's known issue "due to rapidly starting and stopping surface change sounds as you cross the concrete seams in the pavement before they've had a chance to fade out." They decided it was OK to ship with it as most people can't hear it and it won't be getting a fix. Annoying, but thankfully it's not that common, nothing like an installed PGR4.

It's as clear as day on my setup, a constant* barrage of cracks and pops as I drive along.

* Well not constant, but it happens a lot.

Thankfully I only notice it on a few tracks, the concrete slabs of Sebring being the main problem, but it is very clear when it's there. I do find it funny how some just can't here it, even if standing in the same room.

To clarify, the 'glue incident' in last night's 20-lapper happened on the Ladera section of the Camino Viejo Extreme track.

In that section there's a fast chicane that, if you cut it, slows you down to a halt within 4 feet. It's fair enough once you've experienced it one time, so you won't make the mistake twice, and I haven't.

But the incident last night was on the right-hand side AFTER said chicane. I only went off-track (the area between the yellow lines) half a car's width on the right side, while still holding a fair line in preparation for the upcoming hairpin. But the game wouldn't have any of it and stopped me dead within a second, and Meatball crashing into me.

I understand it's there to give the fast chicane a purpose; otherwise everyone would just do a straight line through it. But why give the trackside the same visual properties as the track (namely tarmac)? It needs to be replaced by gravel pits so we can see what to expect when we end up 'off-track'.

The problem here is the omission of a visual hint of where not to go.

I tell you what, one of my favourite things about this place is when people like Meerman get so fucking enthusiastic about their chosen subject, in this case racing games. It's absolutely infectious, and it reminds me why I love videogames so much. I find it hard to read threads like this at work, as it brings back that all-consuming feeling you get as an eight year old where all you can think of is how to complete Rainbow Islands on the ST. As you were!

I had this problem in one of my first online sessions. Went off the track in that chicane and crawled back on, only for the guy behind not to notice and plough into the back of me.

Yeah, its not uncommon as its pretty much the fastest section of track. McSpeed fantastic missed meatball and i though when we both did it.

AFTER 5 bloody laps chasing each other.

Just got to the forced R3 race series, which I have to do to move forward with season mode. However, I haven't been given any R3 cars, which is a bit silly.

So, I just bought a Panoz Esparante, for 250,000 credits. It's ultra fast, but my GAWD do you have to be careful with the throttle - a moment too early and it'll swap ends faster than you can react.

The default setups on the race cars are usually pretty nasty, but you can make the cars much friendlier with just change the settings for two things:

1: [edited out some stuff about dampers which was wrong, and I'd rather no-one tried it by mistake]

2: On the Differential screen, reduce the "acceleration" setting to around 30%.

I made these two changes on my Risi F430 and they've transformed the car from a snap-oversteer monster to something a lot more progressive.

1: On the Dampers screen, swap the bump and rebound settings over. the T10 defaults are the wrong way round (bump should be stiffer than rebound otherwise the car will be too keen to hit the bump stops which causes a quick spin)

I believe that issue was patched up in the update. FAQ

For those that have purchased the LCE, i've entered both sets of codes that come in the box, how do I get my hands on the free theme??

Either i'm missing something really obvious, or my eyes have stopped working and i just haven't noticed yet

Help Forza-rers!