Pokemon Gold and Silver to be remade?

Major Britten

I have never played a Pokemon game - might pick this up on Friday. Are there any significant differences between Gold and Silver?

Not really, just there'll be around 15 Pokémon you can't get because they're exclusive to the other game. Nintendo will say it's to encourage trading, but really it's a way of fleecing parents so their kids can, indeed, "catch 'em all".

I have never played a Pokemon game - might pick this up on Friday. Are there any significant differences between Gold and Silver?

It's only the Pokemon that are available to catch in the game itself.

This link shows which ones are only available in one game (though you can trade for the others) - obviously don't click if you don't want to know or want to be surprised but it does influence my decision so it may do yours :wub:http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok...ns#Pok.C3.A9mon (basically I like

cats and teddy bears :facepalm:

hence SoulSilver for me!)

I'm loathe to ask this as I really had intended not to get the game but how is transferring with Diamond/Pearl implemented? I currently have ~480 or so on Pearl/Diamond. If the previous incarnations of the game are anything to go by I assume transferring them would be utterly painful. I also assume I'd need a 2nd DS or can trading be done with a single DS and swapping carts in some way?

Also have battles/conversations been streamlined in any way? In Diamond/Pearl (and all their predecessors) there was always way too many useless dialog boxes to skip through and usually an annoying pause between each 1.

Mildly tempted to get one of HG/SS out of some kind of Pokénostalgia. Last played a Pokémon game almost a decade ago, when I picked up Silver for my GBC. Unfortunately, I didn't play that far into the game due to other distractions, and I felt that it was a bit over-complicated compared to Blue, which I played through and enjoyed back in 1998. Bit torn on this one. Heck, might be worth it for the Pokéwalker gimmick though.

I'm loathe to ask this as I really had intended not to get the game but how is transferring with Diamond/Pearl implemented? I currently have ~480 or so on Pearl/Diamond. If the previous incarnations of the game are anything to go by I assume transferring them would be utterly painful. I also assume I'd need a 2nd DS...

Correct on all counts.

Beat the Elite 4 last night (30 full restores, 20 of them used on the champion, screw your 3 dragonites), on the way to a third badge in Kanto.

Kanto however...doesn't feel right, for some reason. Can't put my finger on it, but I haven't gotten that 'warm fuzzy' that I should, and that certainly the old G/S gave me, and going through the place in FireRed. Hrm....dare I say the graphic engine doesn't suit Kanto?

The pokedex also doesn't count "seen" as your overall counter when you select the file/save the game. Liked that, makes it more "hardcorez". Since in D/P/Plat, sure, you could have seen 460, but actually only have caught 400, and so on.

Just saw an advert for this...with a black girl. I'm sure she was just plucked off the street though, and not scientifically selected from a wealth of actors.

Struck me as odd that they showed it being played on a Gameboy 'Color'? So it's exactly the same on DS then? *should probs read thread* :)

Mine too, arrived yesterday (whisper it) unsealed from Shopto. :)

Haha! I got mine from Game, sealed, and perfectly formed! :)

I couldn't give a rat's ass to be honest, but am enjoying the game, if only my DS had decided a better time to develop a sound fault.

I'll have to borrow my Mum's, she doesn't use it anyways.

Just had a weird bit of luck;

Got to Ecruteak, unleashed Entei, Raikou and Suicune. Tried the gym, got pretty much smashed by the leader's Gengar. So, I thought I'd go catch an Abra from Goldenrod. So I did, and on the way back, I bumped into Entei. Magnemite was my lead pokemon so I quickly tried to switch to my Gastly to use mean look, but it had already fled. Pah, never mind, I probably wouldn't have been able to catch it anyway.

So I make it back to Ecruteak and go off to the path to Olivine to level up my Magnemite some more. Pow! First fight was sodding Raikou again! What are the chances of that happening! Needless to say this time I immediately threw an Ultra ball at it. It ran away, obviously! :)

That's probably the last time I'll ever see it. :)

Quite enjoying this now. I'm almost tempted to try and breed a good metagross when I'm finished with the quest though - one of the ones I never got round to doing in Diamond...

Just had a weird bit of luck;

Got to Ecruteak, unleashed Entei, Raikou and Suicune. Tried the gym, got pretty much smashed by the leader's Gengar. So, I thought I'd go catch an Abra from Goldenrod. So I did, and on the way back, I bumped into Entei. Magnemite was my lead pokemon so I quickly tried to switch to my Gastly to use mean look, but it had already fled. Pah, never mind, I probably wouldn't have been able to catch it anyway.

So I make it back to Ecruteak and go off to the path to Olivine to level up my Magnemite some more. Pow! First fight was sodding Raikou again! What are the chances of that happening! Needless to say this time I immediately threw an Ultra ball at it. It ran away, obviously! :)

That's probably the last time I'll ever see it. :)

Quite enjoying this now. I'm almost tempted to try and breed a good metagross when I'm finished with the quest though - one of the ones I never got round to doing in Diamond...

That's some extreme fluke! Not quite shiny catching fluke though :lol: .

Don't do it man, don't go back to EV training/IV breeding! It's the purest of evil in grinding form and you know it!

I've only got my 3rd badge so far. Spent an hour playing badminton yesterday with the pokewalker and only got a Nidoran up one level! :(