Pokemon Gold and Silver to be remade?

Major Britten

Can you actually get shiny legendaries like that? So you'll go into the fight with Lugia or something and there's the usual 1 in 8000-something chance it'll be shiny?

God damn.

Yes. :lol: Same for starter pokemon as well.

If you breed two pokemon from a different regions, the chance of a shiny is increased to 1/2000 odd. Apprently the best way is the chaining method described above though.

I didn't really get the concept of Pokemon when I 1st played Platinum (Platinum was the 1st Pokemon game I tried).

However over the past few days I've given it another go and become addicted.

So the question is.

Should I ditch Platinum and buy this new one?

Are there enough difference to warrant the purchase?

I didn't really get the concept of Pokemon when I 1st played Platinum (Platinum was the 1st Pokemon game I tried).

However over the past few days I've given it another go and become addicted.

So the question is.

Should I ditch Platinum and buy this new one?

Are there enough difference to warrant the purchase?

I was wondering this. Pearl was the first Pokemon game I'd ever bought, but I didn't get very far before abandoning it. I'm wondering whether to start over, or just get HG/SS. I get the impression that if you've played one Pokemon game, you've played them all, but people keep buying them so... :(

If you've still got Diamond/Pearl/Platinum to play I'd suggest finishing those off to gauge whether you'll want to play more Pokemon. If you get the urge to catch 'em all, then grabbing HG/SS next would be a sound choice. All Pokemon games may follow the same formula but there's still enjoyment to be had playing through a different region with different pokes too. Although they were released earlier Platinum and co are still essentially 'newer' games in terms of the Pokemon and design so don't feel as though you're playing an out of date game when everyone else is playing HG/SS. Seriously, the only notable additions these games have are the pokewalker and better touch screen menus (and you could argue that those don't add much anyway).

DISAGREE. Gold and Silver have the best world, the best design, and best set of monsters and everything. They're brilliant and a great entry to the series.

I dislike all this IV nonsense - imagine hunting and finally facing down a legendary shiny or something and burning through sixty pokeballs until finally capturing it and discovering it's 'sulky', 'demotivated tele addict' or whatever. :(

The beauty of it is that all that crap is hidden. It's not like it chucs all the mental stat based stuff at you. Non EV trained pokemon are fine for getting through the game, the EV training is just if you're enough of a geek to download the guide and try it.

Can you actually get shiny legendaries like that? So you'll go into the fight with Lugia or something and there's the usual 1 in 8000-something chance it'll be shiny?

Indeed, some of them look fucking retarded when they're shiny though.

This maybe a stupid question but I am new to Pokemon. If I let a Pokemon evolve do I then have to catch it again so it's original state show in my Pokedex thing?

I hope I am making sense :(

No, you don't have to catch it again.

DISAGREE. Gold and Silver have the best world, the best design, and best set of monsters and everything. They're brilliant and a great entry to the series.

They're my favourite games too, but only on the basis of nostalgia. The originals just seemed to make the biggest leap in gameplay compared to the later games. I just think for people new to the series they're not going to stand out as much. I'd be glad if someone who started with ruby/sapphire or later proved me wrong though.

They're my favourite games too, but only on the basis of nostalgia. The originals just seemed to make the biggest leap in gameplay compared to the later games. I just think for people new to the series they're not going to stand out as much. I'd be glad if someone who started with ruby/sapphire or later proved me wrong though.

I started with red/blue and found R/S/E the biggest gameplay jump. Dual batteling, even bloody more pokemon, two different bikes, a shedload of new hold items, just so much new stuff that really changed the game.

I may have to get a strategy guide. I can't remember any of the moves so when it says "PIDGEY wants to learn whirlwind, but can't learn more than four moves. Delete an older move to learn whirlwind?" and I say YES! thinking it's some exciting flying pewpew move I soon regret it realising I've picked up a useless move that is good for neither earning EXP or catching pokemon.

Also is it worth trying to get 2,100 coins in the game corner to grab a dratini or are there other ways?

I may have to get a strategy guide. I can't remember any of the moves so when it says "PIDGEY wants to learn whirlwind, but can't learn more than four moves. Delete an older move to learn whirlwind?" and I say YES! thinking it's some exciting flying pewpew move I soon regret it realising I've picked up a useless move that is good for neither earning EXP or catching pokemon.

Also is it worth trying to get 2,100 coins in the game corner to grab a dratini or are there other ways?

Unlucky. Even after all this time I still know what it does.

Best way if you want one on your first visit to goldenrod, won't get one otherwise for a LONG time.

You can drown in them later. Save your coins. There's also one special one with ExtremeSpeed that you can get too. :facepalm:

Oh I'm not massively fussed about having one now or anything, but thanks for the offer :( I just couldn't remember if that was 'the' dratini. I remembered abra was a pain in the behind so I was tempted to buy him, but last night I managed to catch one anyway, and a ditto!

:facepalm:

This game will be the death of me. I go to bed and decide I'll just have a quick go and then it's 4am :(

AFAIK it's on one of the last unlocked routes though, which you won't have got by the time you get to goldenrod.

Or, friend code me do and I'll give you one.

It's on Blue Lake, which unlocks after 2000 watts, which isn't that much. Took me a couple of days.

How does the pairing thing work with Wi-fi?

Just im thinking about getting Gold/Silver, but I havent actually got a DS atm. So my sister is going to loan me hers. However, thats not to say I wont get a DS, so I dont wish to fuck up anything ingame.

I cant remember if ti works in that way, of its just a case of having to re-do the Wi-Fi settings?

Wow, that

Gengar

in Ecruteak gym is quite simply, a motherfucking cunt.

I'm actually almost getting bored of grinding, I don't know if I'm playing it wrong but it seems the same as when I played.. red (iirc) and there's a massive disconnect between leaders and the pokemon you can grind with. Or maybe I just fluked a lot of earlier fights and didn't grind earlier enough but it's a bloody joke.

Yeah, it's fast and powerful, but fragile. Either you started with Chikorita, or you may not have been grinding enough (i.e. catching enough pokemon). Try and have a Poke at Gengar's level, so that it can endure a hit of his and hopefully hit him harder on his turn. Failing that, try backtracking a bit to catch an Abra and level it up.

I'm onto Kanto now and I've never found the need to grind. Assuming you're not deliberately avoiding random battles along the way you should always roughly be at the level you need to be to tackle the gyms, and even if you're a little under it shouldn't take too long to find a couple of trainer battles to level up your 'Mon. Heck, I took on Ho-oh with none of my merry band above Lv. 42 and still kicked his ass.

How does the pairing thing work with Wi-fi?

Just im thinking about getting Gold/Silver, but I havent actually got a DS atm. So my sister is going to loan me hers. However, thats not to say I wont get a DS, so I dont wish to fuck up anything ingame.

I cant remember if ti works in that way, of its just a case of having to re-do the Wi-Fi settings?

It's nothing game breaking, the pairing means that when you change DS you get a new friend code and it wipes your existing list, you lose any Pokemon that are currently in the GTS if you don't take them back before hand and the clock for the PAL park will reset meaning you have to wait 24 hours to use it. I switch between my DSL and DSi XL a lot and I tend to do all the wifi stuff on the DSL. The mystery gift function is not affected by switching machines.

Yeah, it's fast and powerful, but fragile. Either you started with Chikorita, or you may not have been grinding enough (i.e. catching enough pokemon). Try and have a Poke at Gengar's level, so that it can endure a hit of his and hopefully hit him harder on his turn. Failing that, try backtracking a bit to catch an Abra and level it up.

Nah, just use a rubbish normal pokemon. He can't do anything against them, a level 2 rattata will do :lol: !