rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
FishyFish

Limbo

Came across this tonight: http://www.limbogame.org/

It comes across as a sort of 2D ICO. I'm guessing that it really is in limbo however, as I can't find anything else about it other than a blog post from October 2006. Pity, as the video on the site makes it look really nice.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

Holy smokes, that looks magic. Looks ripe for release on XBLA. I'd put cash on the table for it.

I remember reading a developer advertisement post for people familiar with the 360 some time last year with a projected release date of 2010 mentioned. But to be honest, despite receiving government funding, this has had a bit of the Black Mesa whiff about it since its reveal three years ago. It might come out, but it probably won't be for a very, very long time.

<limbo of the lost flashback>

*shudder*

it's a b&w platformer, with filters and screen rotation.

Limbo is a finalist in this years IGF (2010) "Technical Excellence" and "Excellence in Visual Art" categories so it should be coming, even though nothing has been seen of it publicly since 2006.

Limbo Hands On and Gameplay Clips.

When we last saw the boy with the white eyes (the star of Limbo), he had used a bear trap to chomp off the legs of a giant spider blocking his way. Today we continued from that point into an underground cave area where it looked like some mining was being done. The first thing you encounter is a group of children running into a pond and drowning themselves. Are they fleeing from something? Are they insane? Limbo is a pretty grim game.
We came to a pit that was being watched by a giant slab of concrete hanging overhead. A tripwire lined the bottom of the crater and would release the rock above if we jumped into it. So we headed back to the dead kids floating in the pond, dragged one of their bodies to the pit, and threw them in.

Next, we were chased by some mean kids with blow darts. Perhaps this is what the other children were running from. Deeper in the mine we could see giant gears rotating in the background.

And then we met the Somber Worm. This little invertebrate drops from the cave ceiling onto the boy's head and limits his ability to move. As long as it is attached the boy can only run in one direction, but every time you encounter bright light it will burn the worm and allow you to change your trajectory. By exploiting the worm's weakness you can maneuver the boy underneath some hanging creatures that will happily pick it off the top of your head for a snack.

Limbo's developer describes the gameplay as "trial by death." You will die many, many times during the game, but hopefully you will learn from your deaths. The developer doesn't want it to be frustrating, and it hasn't been for us, so far. On the contrary, it's usually a delightful surprise to be decapitated or impaled out of nowhere. The basic flow of gameplay seems to be: encounter a puzzle, be killed by it, and then respawn right before it with an idea of how to get past it.

Apologies for the repost, I forgot this game had it's own thread so posted the above in the Live Arcade thread. :wub:

The platforming and animation kind of remind me of Flashback or Oddworld in a weird way. Looks great too. :wub: