IGNORED

Reggae recommendations

Eats hoops and leaves

I've been listening to Bob Marley over and over again over the last few days. He's pretty much all the reggae I've got. I don't know anything about the genre, really, so would anybody like to chip in with some favourits and essentials?

Man, Im just off to bed, so I will bless you with this 1 gem, but will be back tomorrow with some awesome stuff.

Please make it the soundtrack to your summer.

Let me know if its your kind of thing, Or weather your more 'Dub' Than 'Roots'

He's this proper old reggae DJ from bristol. He looks like your grandad, cardigan and all. Only he plays absolutely bumping tunes and emcees down the mic in jamaican patois. He was...awe-inspiring.

Haven't really seen him about for years though. He was getting on when I saw him, so possibly he's retired or something.

The Congos - Heart of the Congos

-Lee Perry's Black Ark magic in full peak. Majestic musicianship, production and vocal arrangements of the Congos

George Faith - To Be A Lover

-Musically a sister album to Heart Of The Congos, but inexplicably less known. Mr Faith (AKA Mr Soul) is marvellous

Cedric Im Brooks - The Light Of Saba

-Honest Jons compilation of the Alpha Boys/Skatalites veteran trombonist's horn and Nyabinghi led roots/afrobeat/soul/jazz LP's of the mid 70's

Maytals - Never Grow Old

-The real deal Ska pick. Backed by the Skatalites before they had that name, Toots and his boys never sounded so alive

Dennis Brown - Promised Land

-Blood and Fire reissue of a particularly stunning late 70's LP

Ernest Ranglin - Memories of Barber Mack

Since this guy happens to play on most of the above albums I have to highlight what I consider the best thing he's put out in more recent years. It's a small, calypsoey, mento blooded thing of rare beauty.

He's this proper old reggae DJ from bristol. He looks like your grandad, cardigan and all. Only he plays absolutely bumping tunes and emcees down the mic in jamaican patois. He was...awe-inspiring.

Haven't really seen him about for years though. He was getting on when I saw him, so possibly he's retired or something.

Yeah I saw him in Bath about 2.5 years ago.

Man, Im just off to bed, so I will bless you with this 1 gem, but will be back tomorrow with some awesome stuff.

Please make it the soundtrack to your summer.

Let me know if its your kind of thing, Or weather your more 'Dub' Than 'Roots'

Thanks, this is great! It is my kind of thing, but I won't count out Dub either.

Alot of good recommendations here.

:(

Cool - thanks

Lovers Rock is my favorite genre when it comes to reggae. So give this a try

- Lovers Rock Serious Selections Volume 1 & 2

Grabbing now - cheers!

The Congos - Heart of the Congos

-Lee Perry's Black Ark magic in full peak. Majestic musicianship, production and vocal arrangements of the Congos

George Faith - To Be A Lover

-Musically a sister album to Heart Of The Congos, but inexplicably less known. Mr Faith (AKA Mr Soul) is marvellous

Cedric Im Brooks - The Light Of Saba

-Honest Jons compilation of the Alpha Boys/Skatalites veteran trombonist's horn and Nyabinghi led roots/afrobeat/soul/jazz LP's of the mid 70's

Maytals - Never Grow Old

-The real deal Ska pick. Backed by the Skatalites before they had that name, Toots and his boys never sounded so alive

Dennis Brown - Promised Land

-Blood and Fire reissue of a particularly stunning late 70's LP

Ernest Ranglin - Memories of Barber Mack

Since this guy happens to play on most of the above albums I have to highlight what I consider the best thing he's put out in more recent years. It's a small, calypsoey, mento blooded thing of rare beauty.

Excellent. I know I've said it like 3 times now - but thanks!

• 1 month later...
If that was at Widcombe social club I was there too!

Radiodread by the Easy Star All Stars is worth a listen, reggaed up versions of OK Computer, shouldn't work but it really does I love it.

Radiodread - Last FM

I haven't heard Radiodread but the Easy All Stars did a reggae cover of Dark Side of the Moon called Dub Side of The Moon which is absolutely fantastic.

If that was at Widcombe social club I was there too!

Radiodread by the Easy Star All Stars is worth a listen, reggaed up versions of OK Computer, shouldn't work but it really does I love it.

Radiodread - Last FM

haha, that's cool. Rllmuk massive gets everywhere.

Any more recommendations? I've rinsed everything in this thread and the other one linked in the first reply and I'm hopelessly addicted to reggae now.

• 9 months later...

[yt]JNW845KjitQ[/yt]

Time for a bump.

I've been listening to Dadawah - Peace and Love for the last few days, and it's really quite special. It's only four tracks, all of which are drawn out and slow to develop, but it's got this amazing momentum to it. I haven't heard anything else like it, but then I'm totally clueless when it comes to reggae.

And I know it's not exactly what you'd associate with the genre, but I really like the piano throughout.

Any similar recommendations?

Most of the bigguns seem to be covered in this thread. Really I would check stuff produced by Bunny Lee or King Tubby.

I love Ekk-a-mouse and also check out Yellowman before he signed for EMI (I think) some good stuff there

Simple Simon is a bit ekk-a-mouse like - recall a song about obeying your mother and father that had nice vibe.

Also who can deny Dr Alimantado - 'the best dressed chicken in town' for not only the title but also the album cover as well.

post-16788-1271242667.jpg

Apologies for being six years late to this thread and with my hazy smoke filled memory failing on titles and useful info.

(btw this is not a reponse to the previous post just a general heads up on dub producers when I saw the thread)

[yt]JNW845KjitQ[/yt]

Time for a bump.

I've been listening to Dadawah - Peace and Love for the last few days, and it's really quite special. It's only four tracks, all of which are drawn out and slow to develop, but it's got this amazing momentum to it. I haven't heard anything else like it, but then I'm totally clueless when it comes to reggae.

And I know it's not exactly what you'd associate with the genre, but I really like the piano throughout.

Any similar recommendations?

I've never heard of Dadawah before but I like that, gonna have to hunt some more out.

Not similar but here's an amazing video of Johnny Clarke performing None Shall Escape The Judgement live in the studio, proper roots music!

[yt]80kEvkdSlO4[/yt]

also:

[yt]_O3LI-xSFqE[/yt]

:lol:

People who read this thread originally will be pleased to know that DJ Derek is still alive and well and punting his reggie sounds in and around Bristol.

I'm not much of a reggae fan myself, but I always liked these three:

[yt]JFZfgZLNIXo[/yt]

[yt]OozyxNTPZm4[/yt]

[yt]jTPuhEC71Wg[/yt]

No mention of Dub Syndicate?

Stoned Immaculate is a seminal album, fantastic tunes.

I also have a soft spot for Finley Quaye's album Maverick A Strike, lovely music.

See

Those who have eyes like mine

Let them shine

All time all star

I had some pain

I became you're sonic satellite

Got to get it all right

Just right

I know a man called Sylvester

Him have to wear a bullet proof vest y'all

No kinda way no kinda way through the day