IGNORED

New Regina Spektor

Shoes

I'm a pretty big fan of hers. I don't love all her work, but a lot of it is really beautiful.

Her new album is soon, and the single has been leaked. 'Laughing With', and the B-side 'Blue Lips' (which she has played live for years). Laughing With is here. I like it, but love Blue Lips. I've always loved the live version, but the first time I listened to it I thought it was over-produced (like parts of Begin to Hope). It isn't,, though. It's wonderful.

Both of these songs seem more mature than her other stuff. I've never been that big a fan of Regina when she's out-and-out quirky, so hopefully she's reigned herself back a bit on her new one (and the singles seem to suggest she has).

The end!

I like Regina when she gets her quirk on; often times it leads to some of her most evocative songs. I do agree that Begin To Hope is at times overproduced though (easily her weakest overall album in my eyes.. ears.. whatever).

I heard 'Laughing With' on the radio yesterday and I dunno. Musically it's there, I was just hitting a stumbling block with the lyrics.

New Regina is fantastic news regardless though. She's without a doubt one of the most gifted, interesting songwriters on the planet.

:P

Oh man this should be excellent.

One More Time With Feeling is one of my favourite Regina Spektor songs (having only heard the

on YouTube from about a year or two back) and it really stuck with me. For my money, Chemo Limo is her finest hour (actually brings tears to my eyes that one) but I love most of what she does.

Laughing With seems pretty damn good too and that album cover is beautiful.

Going through my Regina CDs, I just realised which song Blue Lips is. I'm absolutely over the moon that she's releasing it. ^_^

I went to see her play Bush Hall on 15/11/04 and then subsequently got my grubby mitts on a bootleg recording of that very gig from an extremely generous guy on the Regina forums (I mainly lurked the soup thread :) ). I'd forgotten Blue Lips was on this.

Suffice to say, I'm now hopelessly lost listening to this gig again.

You need to listen to more female singer people then Soong! :)

Chan Marshall, Mirah, Annie Clark, Joan Wasser, Leslie Feist, Joanna Newsom, PJ Harvey, Lisa Germano, Kristin Hersh are a few worth-checking-out solo artists if you like Reggie's stuff.

• 1 month later...

Wow, I had no idea she had any new material on the way...

I was just just searching for some of her older stuff on Spotify and the new album was right there, after a quick search it seems it was only released yesterday!

I'm only 4 tracks in, but I'm enjoying it muchly; especially the opener.

Go listen.

• 5 weeks later...
I heard 'Laughing With' on the radio yesterday and I dunno. Musically it's there, I was just hitting a stumbling block with the lyrics.

Yes, it's bollocks really, isn't it.

I've been listening to the album a lot lately, and really like it now. Probably more than Begin To Hope. The lyrics to Laughing With just get on my tits, though.

Nobody's laughing at god when their family's just been killed in a fire? No? What are they laughing at then? Does one of the crispy corpses look a bit like Wile E Coyote when he's just been singed by Speedy Gonzales? LOL! Or perhaps they just aren't laughing at all when they're sad/depressed/worried or whatever. Fuck off you preachy cow.

Absolutely loving Blue Lips and One More Time with Feeling. My album of the year so far.

Bit of a bump there, sorry.