IGNORED

FIFA 2010

Playing some randoms ranked...

Shooting is so frustratingly imprecise. I'm sure It'll get better, but every other part of the game is quite easily transferable from Fifa 09; the shooting is just a mess at the moment and I can't feel any feedback from the game that indicates if I'm hitting it too early, too late or whatever.

The post-game choices you get if you draw are so poorly implemented. Three draws I've had on the trot either because my opponent knows that the momentum of the game is turning against him, or something ridiculous like me picking extra time and he picking extra time and penalties, which results in a draw. The game gives you zero chance to compromise on that rather difference. Silly.

Too many fucking Man City players.

'Experimenting' a bit with shooting...

I think the 360 dribbling is at the heart of most of the shooting difficulties; it's adding an extra layer of care you have to take before you shoot. The first thing you learn when you play this or PES is that you need to stop sprinting before you take a shot, I think this 360 dribbling is gonna be a lot like that for more advanced players. It just adds more degrees of potential wrongness, and it's notoriously hard to tell the difference between Rooney running straight at goal, and Rooney running slightly-off, though it's the difference between punting it in the back of the net or watching him stumble and whack it wide.

Finesse shots are still quite good, but require a lot more power. The 360 dribble hurts here, too; it makes it a lot harder to get that ideal facing 45 degrees away from goal, gentle touch out of feet set-up.

Basically, 360 dribble has ruined it all.

Hit the post three times in a match with Kris Commons. I thought they said they'd sorted that.

No one else has these problems. You're shit.

Too many fucking Man City players.

ade19.jpg

I haven't figured out shooting yet either. FIFA 09 is probably the only football game in the past 5 years that I ever did figure it out in. This feels like PES in terms of shooting for me and I never got my head around PES finishing. It feels more like the game does a calculation everytime you shoot.

I definitely got better though and I'm hoping it will click with a few more sessions. I think I'll have to ween myself off the finesse shot. Especially coming out of a fake-shot. The players don't like that at all now. Oh and can anyone explain how they've changed the heading? It seems fine in normal play, you cross it and they head it how you would expect, better than FIFA 09 even but from corners every header I've had either goes miles over or a couple of yards wide.

As I said in the demo impressions, this game will cause a lot more frustration and calls of "FIFAISMS" than FIFA 09 online, simply because there seem to be a lot more elements factored in to each situation. It's less clear cut who should win each battle on the pitch.

Overall I'm loving the game and do think it improves on 09 quite a bit but there are plenty of problems with things like the BAP mode that I hope get patched to make things easier to arrange and set up. The BAP online game is silky smooth now though, no delay at all from what I can tell.

'Experimenting' a bit with shooting...

I think the 360 dribbling is at the heart of most of the shooting difficulties; it's adding an extra layer of care you have to take before you shoot. The first thing you learn when you play this or PES is that you need to stop sprinting before you take a shot, I think this 360 dribbling is gonna be a lot like that for more advanced players. It just adds more degrees of potential wrongness, and it's notoriously hard to tell the difference between Rooney running straight at goal, and Rooney running slightly-off, though it's the difference between punting it in the back of the net or watching him stumble and whack it wide.

Finesse shots are still quite good, but require a lot more power. The 360 dribble hurts here, too; it makes it a lot harder to get that ideal facing 45 degrees away from goal, gentle touch out of feet set-up.

Sounds about right to me. FIFA 09 always made sure you came out of a turn or stride animation in the right stance, now you can interrupt it earlier and move much more freely, so if you do get the timing wrong it goes awry. I'm sure it will be something people adjust to and will probably make the better players stand out more.

I think it'd be easy to cry 'unfinished' or whatever, but there's so many aspects of the game that are improved in really intelligent, subtle ways. I'm sure it'll just be a case of getting used to it.

Corners and heading do seem a bit pot-luck, too. Though that was one area where it was perhaps a little too inevitable and clinical in Fifa 09. I used to be able to guarantee getting a header if I hit it so hard and put a bit of out-swing on it - making sure it went to someone strong, like Baptista. Here it's a lot more of an imprecise art.

Early days, though...

It's sort of promising in a way; it'll shake it up a bit...possibly.

What's happened to the Manager mode?

Supposedly it's got "Improved player growth" except this time...I can't actually assign experience points can I?

Also I turn OFF the Assistant Manager (or so it seems) and my team still gets shifted about to "rest" them when they're down to 90% energy...

I tried to sign a couple of young players expect they wouldn't come to me as they felt they wouldn't get a game. Crazy madness, if you're 18 you'd like the step up and to be brought on and grown into the role! Somehow they've made it less realistic in this aspect, especially when, as Newcastle, I sold a load of players to get my wage budget down.

Additionally my Stadium was about 3/10 on the upgrades screen. Hmmmm...

There's a lot here which is decent, yet I'm struggling to enjoy it as much as I did with FIFA 09; which was great to play.

I hope this really pulls it out of the bag, for a few moments have been great; it's just the rest I'm concerned about.

I've noticed a lot of the commentary is recycled from FIFA 08 :-( Well at least it is for my Rovers!Since they aren't too bothered about clubs like mine(most of the faces are no where near), they aren't too fussed about our commentary!

I've noticed a lot of the commentary is recycled from FIFA 08 :-( Well at least it is for my Rovers!Since they aren't too bothered about clubs like mine(most of the faces are no where near), they aren't too fussed about our commentary!

Andy Gray comments on what a good job Martin Jol is doing with spurs too :)

I'm really enjoying the game itself, like the 360 bribbling, loving the strength and momentum players have.

Few irritations:

The massive gamertag above your head

Same rubbish menus

Not being able to take a BAP club to play other random BAP clubs sucks big time

Timmo spanking me 3 times. The priiiiick.

Apart from that I'm liking it.

So what teams are people using against the Real/Man City picking randoms?

Aston Villa. :)

I got all my "underdog" "gutsy call" etc achievements in my first ranked match against a Man U chap. Went 4 wins in a row, realised there was another Achievement for getting 5 in a row, the 5th guy went Liverpool so I thought I'd compensate and go a 5 star as well. Went Barca, went one up, bossing the game. Couldnt get a killer second, duly lost to a torres "runs through everything" goal in the 80th minute. Couldnt convert a tonne more chances in Extra Time. Got beaten on penalties. :(

Still, an 8/3 record on ranked for the first night is pretty decent for me. Still not had a game ending in a "draw" with the 3 options. I just highlight "Extra Time and Penalties" and the other 3 or 4 I've played have highlighted the same.

Aston Villa. :)

I got all my "underdog" "gutsy call" etc achievements in my first ranked match against a Man U chap. Went 4 wins in a row, realised there was another Achievement for getting 5 in a row, the 5th guy went Liverpool so I thought I'd compensate and go a 5 star as well. Went Barca, went one up, bossing the game. Couldnt get a killer second, duly lost to a torres "runs through everything" goal in the 80th minute. Couldnt convert a tonne more chances in Extra Time. Got beaten on penalties. :(

I bet that felt exactly the same as watching England get knocked out of the world cup on penalties.

I bet that felt exactly the same as watching England get knocked out of the world cup on penalties.

Being a scotsman, no, it felt exactly the opposite. :(

I thought my old penalty tactic of using the finesse shot would not work so I sclaffed my first effort into the post. :)

Oh and that game mode where it's like BAP but everyone takes their virtual spacker intot he team was a hoot. Explaining it to Saint aside. :)

"Midgets at the back, midgets at the back!"

That was great fun last night before it wouldn't let me connect. That 5-4 game against United was just brilliant, especially my 40 yard goal with Mike shouting "don't shoot!", made my night.

Tomox's goal from the corner in the 90th minute where it hit some guys arse and looped over the goalie to earn us a point, was one of the funniest things I've seen on a footie game. :(

Oh and that game mode where it's like BAP but everyone takes their virtual spacker intot he team was a hoot. Explaining it to Saint aside. :(

"Midgets at the back, midgets at the back!"

It's still confusing me, and I've sobered up :)

Now, If Craig can give lots of people the manager role then we can get all the muckers in the one club for some good games <_<