IGNORED

Scratch

mr_rmg

Starting a thread for this as it has been discussed in the DJ Hero thread but its a different game and deserves its own thread (shoot me if this is a delorean). DJ hero thread is here http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?showtopic=178920

Anyway the controller for scratch has been properly revealed:

numarkscratchdeck-lg.jpg

numarkscratchdeck.jpg

It looks good. Not having buttons on the platter like DJH should make for easier record spinage and the cross fader looks to have a lot less travel, which is also good IMO.

This is being made by Numark, and so I have hopes that it is not just a toy, but something that can be used for some more complex scratching / mixing.

Rumours say that you may be able to line in your own MP3s, which could be lots of fun. The article here http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/05...k.scratch.deck/ confirms that you can record samples via USB microphone.

Hopefully the legal wrangles over this will all be sorted. I think that this could be a bonafide scratch simulator game and I like a good scratch, so im really looking forward to it.

It's all explained in the article linked in the first post:

Best known for real-world DJ tools, Numark today detailed the game controller it's making for Scratch: The Ultimate DJ. Nicknamed the Scratch Deck, the peripheral has a touch-sensitive turntable for its core mix-and-scratch gameplay as well as five drum pads that mimic Akai Pro MPCs and, like the real equipment, are used to trigger samples. The game comes with 60 "battle records" for samples but can take any sample recorded through a USB microphone

Seems more directed to the turntablist side of DJing which is relatively niche, even in modern hip-hop, and doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of crossover appeal that even a standard DJ game would. Intrigued to see how it'll work as a game though, hopefully their sales expectations aren't at Guitar Hero levels...

Seems more directed to the turntablist side of DJing which is relatively niche, even in modern hip-hop, and doesn't have anywhere near the same amount of crossover appeal that even a standard DJ game would. Intrigued to see how it'll work as a game though, hopefully their sales expectations aren't at Guitar Hero levels...

Agreed. although I think there are a fair few people out there who would like to mess around with scratching it is very niche, and the Hero name will mean that DJ hero gets a lot more attention. (although the legal spat has definitely helped raise the profile for this game.)

What are the coloured buttons for? Is it basically going to be the same deal as Guitar Hero? Doesn't really seem to fit with DJing.

Beatmania is Guitar Hero with a deck and is great fun, like all Japanese music games it gets about 100x harder than most others on the market. I had the original Beatmania for the PS1 which had 5 buttons and the deck and that was tech enough for me on the higher difficulties. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I feel a bit sorry for them, it looks really boring and the best argument against DJ Hero is "Our controller is so much more realistic, how many turnatable have you seen with buttons on them!!!", like anyone actually cares if that controller actually goes with a game that at least tries to do something new for this type of game instead of being just another Beatmania rip off.

A lot of people will have heard of Guitar Hero though. This just doesn't stand a chance against DJ Hero, it's going to be Rock Revolution all over again.

Exactly.

I still don't see DJ Hero doing anywhere near GH sales. Both of these are going to be more niche I feel. Perhaps they can shift enough copies to make it though.

It doesn't look much fun to play at all unfortunately - there doesn't seem to be any real feedback between your actions and what happens on screen, no sense that you're actually performing as with RB/GH. I think there is the potential for a good DJ Hero style game (or at least a new Western rhythm action game primarily focused on dance music) but I don't think copying the guitar games format is the right way of going about it.

A lot of people won't have heard of Beatmania...

Quoted for truth; it's daft how people think that everyone's familiar with the series. Personally, I don't care about comparisons being made between the new upstarts and Konami's game - as long as they play well, that's all that really counts. From what I've seen of gameplay videos, I actually like the direction these games are taking...and what's wrong with moving into a rhythm-game subgenre that Konami's completely failed to exploit in the west? Then again, it'd be nice if games like this prompted a reaction from them...

As for Scratch, it looks nice enough, but a bit dry and lifeless as bph says - I'd argue that DJ Hero is perhaps more convincing in terms of satisfying feedback...

Quoted for truth; it's daft how people think that everyone's familiar with the series. Personally, I don't care about comparisons being made between the new upstarts and Konami's game - as long as they play well, that's all that really counts. From what I've seen of gameplay videos, I actually like the direction these games are taking...and what's wrong with moving into a rhythm-game subgenre that Konami's completely failed to exploit in the west? Then again, it'd be nice if games like this prompted a reaction from them...

As for Scratch, it looks nice enough, but a bit dry and lifeless as bph says - I'd argue that DJ Hero is perhaps more convincing in terms of satisfying feedback...

I wouldn't care about them ripping it off if what they were ripping off was any good in the first place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApzZTxSIIGY

what a gloriously shit looking rip-off, huzzah!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoAJpIhj66A&NR=1

Fuck all to do with Beatmania. Huzzah!

To clarify: Every time I've seen someone play IIDX, the turntable has been little more than window dressing. Just an eighth key that happens to be turntable shaped, as opposed to something that has any real relevance to the gameplay..

To clarify: Every time I've seen someone play IIDX, the turntable has been little more than window dressing. Just an eighth key that happens to be turntable shaped, as opposed to something that has any real relevance to the gameplay..

Well oddly enough I was playing Beatmania : The Final this afternoon which had freestyle scratch sections (where you could just scratch whatever you wanted as long as it lasted as long as the bar was) and single scratch sections... both of which are in Scratch.

So yeah, it is a rip-off of Beatmania with a facelift. Oh wait it has that cross-fade flipper, which (from that video) looks to be utterly superficial and have minimal effect on the gameplay.

How is it linked to the gameplay? It just looks like a section where you can do whatever and as long as you're scratching for the whole bit, like holding a button down really. Unless I've missed something.

Just like Beatmania, there's a scratch column (either on the left hand side or right hand side, depending on what side you scratch with (like Beatmania)) and in that scratch column there are indicators when to scratch once (single little circle (like a single note in Beatmania)) or continuously scratch (long stretched out column of colour (like in early Beatmania, which pulled it because it was just utter toss))

The fact that you say it's an 8th key that happens to be turntable shaped is completely correct... but it's the corresponding sounds to that 8th key that are the scratching sounds. Same as in Scratch oddly enough, only it's a 6th key, jesus.

Just like Beatmania, there's a scratch column (either on the left hand side or right hand side, depending on what side you scratch with (like Beatmania)) and in that scratch column there are indicators when to scratch once (single little circle (like a single note in Beatmania)) or continuously scratch (long stretched out column of colour (like in early Beatmania, which pulled it because it was just utter toss))

The fact that you say it's an 8th key that happens to be turntable shaped is completely correct... but it's the corresponding sounds to that 8th key that are the scratching sounds. Same as in Scratch oddly enough, only it's a 6th key, jesus.

There's also a fader, and you are rewarded for particular scratch patterns. It's not a case of randomly twisting the turntable. Did you neglect to listen to what was said in that video?

How does the fader thing work? It isn't really clear from the gameplay footage and from the interviews and descriptions it just sounds like that and doing actual scratch patterns are just optional things you can do for extra points.

I really really don't understand how Scratch could be more of a DJ simulator based on all of the gameplay videos I've. Is there really more to it than hitting the correct buttons in time with the music and doing any sort of scratch in the scratch sections (albeit with bonus points for doing actual scratch technique)? If so, what?