IGNORED

Ridley Scott's Prometheus - Sequel gets new writer

Major Britten

The least he could've done is used some spoiler tags there. Well, I mean technically the least he could've done is not use spoiler tags at all, which is what he did, or even not bothered to write the post in the first place but you know what I mean.

My bad.

But honestly it was a fairly minor part of the film. Which it shouldn't have been when you look on paper what was actually happening, but that's part of the problem. There is far too much going on, all of the time. The movie is about the literal origin of life, I don't think it needed so many strands.

I think what he wanted to get at is how life means different things to different people - but they didn't really explore it in an engaging or satisfying way for me.

Just got back from this, but have to head out again, so my one-minute impressions:

I loved it. Yes, some of the dialogue is pretty uninspired, and there are a few plot strands that really could have used some elaboration, but above all it is an amazing spectacle, which those flaws do little to detract for. There was so much to admire in each shot, and the 3D actually added to the experience (and as a 3D-sceptic I never thought I'd be saying that). Aesthetically, I haven't seen a better film for quite some time.

Well that was a little bit underwhelming. The start was promising, but then as it progressed it just got worse. Poor characters you care little about, poor script, Fassbender was great but didn't feel like he was in the same film at times, but worst of all it felt like I'd seen all of the bloody film already!

Well, I really enjoyed it. It's not perfect and I can understand a lot of the criticisms, but it looks spectacular in that Ridley Scott way and it had enough links to Alien to keep me happy. I'll be seeing it in the cinema again and I want the bluray nownownow.

Oh, and my GF isn't bothered by the Alien movies or scifi in general, and she really liked it too.

Just got back from this, but have to head out again, so my one-minute impressions:

I loved it. Yes, some of the dialogue is pretty uninspired, and there are a few plot strands that really could have used some elaboration, but above all it is an amazing spectacle, which those flaws do little to detract for. There was so much to admire in each shot, and the 3D actually added to the experience (and as a 3D-sceptic I never thought I'd be saying that). Aesthetically, I haven't seen a better film for quite some time.

Totally agree about the 3d. I am a 3d cynic but this was just superb visually. It never got in the way of the film and felt completely natural all the way through.

My word that was simply awful.

I've been avoiding this thread and as much of the trailers and promotionals for this film as I can, I wanted as much to be left a mystery to me as I could. I was looking forward to it with the slight apprehension that I haven't enjoyed a Ridley Scott movie since Blade Runner.

What I ended up seeing was so utterly dreadful, I can't quite believe it.

First off this sort of thing is right up my street. I love scifi, especially boring scifi. I even made a thread about it, so a film about scientists finding the origins of life in the stars is pretty appealing to me. I'd say I am definitely this film's intended audience, so it isn't a case of me being wrong for the film.

A few things - the movie is trading off its role as a prequel and membership in the franchise, and I don't just mean as part of its marketing. It seeks to use nostalgia value for the old movies to garner a response and intentionally parallels them when it can or makes reference ("David! WE ARE LEAVING!").

So I'll start with one of these parallels. Where Vickers is refusing vapid doc man access to the ship, in a clear parallel with Ripley being a dick over protocol when Kane is facehugged. It was a good scene in Alien, it established a lot about Ripley as a character as well as that of the rest of the crew and her relationship with them. It was also cool to see a character being smart and sensible, you could identify with Ripley because of it.

What Ripley didn't do when she got over ridden was to KILL IT WITH FIRE. I mean what the actual fuck, the guy has some kind of contagion yes. But by this point they didn't know it would turn you into a brainiac lookalike with super strength (liked how that was sort of forgotten about, no investigation needed there eh?!) and there was no chestbursting going on at all. Vickers was just absolutely out of her fricking gourd - and apparently she wasn't even in command or something? As the captain ends up ignoring her at the end and crashes the ship. And no one else seemed all that bothered, like, you just killed a dude with a flame thrower. Why you do that?

It was such a shame because despite a bit of an odd prologue I was kind of willing to go with it, and I really liked the stuff with David just doing his thing on the ship (Fassbender was the only good thing in this I'd say), but everyone just seemed to act so damn weird all the time. Weirdly David was the only one who seemed to be consistently acting according to his agenda and he was the bloody robot.

I think you are taking the comparison with the Ripley moment too far. In this case the character simply doesn't give a shit about anyone else's survival but her own. All that she has come to do is see her father die and go back home. She isn't Ripley. It may not have been as powerful or important a moment as Ripley's but wasn't meant to be and didn't need to be.

I think you are taking the comparison with the Ripley moment too far. In this case the character simply doesn't give a shit about anyone else's survival but her own. All that she has come to do is see her father die and go back home. She isn't Ripley. It may not have been as powerful or important a moment as Ripley's but wasn't meant to be and didn't need to be.

I don't expect Vickers to be like Ripley - I'd be disappointed if she was. I do expect her to behave like a human being though. At that point in the movie there was every reason to be a stickler over protocol and demand he be quarantined. There was no reason whatsoever to burn him alive, and why there weren't greater repercussions for someone doing that is a total mystery to me. She came across as utterly insane.

I don't think any amount of development would have justified what she did. Unless it established she was mentally deranged or another android. She was actually one of the more developed characters - they set up that she is overly cautious and concerned for her safety primarily what with the lifeboat being her quarters and so on. That's fine, it made sense that she'd refuse to let him on the ship - but to kill him is just too far.

Proper spoilers so keep out if you haven't seen it:

I thought the outstanding question of why they created us and then decided to destroy us is a very good hanging thread. It does suggest some kind of bigger plot in the background. However, I thought the way that she took off in the ship at the end was all a bit too cheesey for me. I know the air of the film was generally more positive and confident than the alien films but one of the things that came across really well in the first 3 alien films was the feeling that the aliens were an enemy that even curiosity couldn't and shouldn't face. I guess that she had no idea of the true extent of the species at that point apart from the massive face-hugger (which made me lol) contact.

I don't think any amount of development would have justified what she did. Unless it established she was mentally deranged or another android. She was actually one of the more developed characters - they set up that she is overly cautious and concerned for her safety primarily what with the lifeboat being her quarters and so on. That's fine, it made sense that she'd refuse to let him on the ship - but to kill him is just too far.

He was literally telling her to do it. He knew the score.

She was a replicant from Blade Runner but didn't realise it. Idris rather bluntly plants the seed (no chance of subtlety sadly) that she is an android and it is reinforced in her actions. However, one of the most telling elements is in her talk with her father which had the same tenderness-hostility as the Roy-Tyrell scene in Blade Runner and she even says "father" in a similar way.

Fantastic review Lord Cookie, do you do this professionally? If not, you should. Go onto the Empire website and look up the review of Project X to see how much better you are than some of the "pros"

Thanks, and no I don't. However, there is something in the pipeline.

And Weyland's speech obviously about David being his only real child or whatever. Still think killing him was a bit odd (Ash and David managed to work out murder is best done in secret, maybe thats why Weyland hated her - no good at murder) and it was the total non reaction from everyone else that spoiled the rest of the movie for me. That and no one following up the thing with Fifield at all, just what was going on there? The black stuff makes you a zombie now? Why didn't that happen to Holloway? And shagging while infected makes you create giant facehuggers? It also gave the impression that the engineers may have been infected as well - which might have been why that one went apeshit on them. Oh god why. I hate this type of movie, anyone that presents a million questions instead of a single answer is almost invariably an idiot.

what a fantastic review Lord Cookie - you should seriously consider doing those professionally - it was better than the one I read this morning on the Guardian website by a good margin

i'm in tomorrow to see this - and I've already limited my expectation from the (spoiler-free) reviews I've already read. If it looks good, then I'll be happy. Sadly, all my expectations of big budget Hollywood productions these days have been totally destroyed, so I won't be disappointed if it's a vacant throwaway load of bollocks because I've suspected it'd be exactly that for a while now.

Just got back. It was mental. I really liked some parts, but hated others. Overall I'm a bit 'feh' about it.

I quite liked all the references to Alien, and that part of the story worked well, but everything built around this fell a bit flat. The acting was generally quite terrible apart from a David and Shaw, and the dialogue wasn't great. Some parts really jarred with everything else, and just as it starts to get going again something else happened that made me roll my eyes. In a way, and I hate to say this, it was almost like a Paul W S Anderson film (particularly the last shot :rolleyes: ). It was too goofy overall. It did feel like they were trying to cram as much in as possible, and everything felt rushed.

Also, why get Guy Pearce to play an old guy when the makeup looked terrible? I was ready to let them off as I was expecting the engineers to make him young again, but then that didn't happen. He looked like something out of Jackass. That whole thing was another odd part to the story, actually. Plus the pregnancy. Shitting Christ.

The good? I saw it in 2D and it did look gorgeous, it doesn't need 3D at all. I liked the design of it all and the external shots on the moon were stunning - it's nice to see an alien planet that has a daytime :lol: Some other parts were great and hinted at a better film, but overall I was quite disappointed.

Bah.

Hey, is Benedict Wong the go-to space guy?