Halo: Reach

Kryptonian

It was awful careless of them to lose their whole Spartan army in one battle.

Ves. Hopefully this game will finally explain how come the entire Spartan army was defeated so easily, while Master Chef was able to beat absolutely everybody else in the Galaxy single handedly.

Perhaps Spartans are subject to the Ninja rule - the more there are of them, the easier they are to beat.

Ves. Hopefully this game will finally explain how come the entire Spartan army was defeated so easily, while Master Chef was able to beat absolutely everybody else in the Galaxy single handedly.

Perhaps Spartans are subject to the Ninja rule - the more there are of them, the easier they are to beat.

It's pretty much in the book:

Spartans on the ground, Covenant ships in orbit. Spartans destroy all the Covenant they come across on the ground, the guys in orbit think 'fuck it' and glass the planet

Those screenshots look pretty dull, to be honest. I know Bungie are normally pretty stingy about doling out spoilers, so I imagine they’ll be saving something, but those shots look like a kind of Halo: Fellwalking. It’s all just grey rock and tiny prefab buildings, as opposed to the glorious, painterly vistas of ODST or Halo 3.

e211_full.jpg

Arriving with subscribers and in UK newsagents tomorrow, E211 exposes how Bungie is closing a chapter in its development history.

Halo: Reach is, as its principal team members tell us, the culmination of all the studio's work on the series – the ultimate expression of the mix of technology and design which has made Halo a benchmark for console FPS.

We met with the leads from each department making up Bungie's team and saw two levels to find out how Reach could well be the best Halo yet released for our expansive feature, and found out why the process has made the team go full circle and look for inspiration at the series' beginning – 2001's Combat Evolved.

But that's just weird. Half Life 2 has better combat than Halo, Morrius? Worse, it's because of the barely-used gravity gun? Really?

Dude, I use the gravity gun for almost the whole game. Like, every time I play through it. Which is at least once a year. The gun combat feels better too, the universe (or rather, the source engine) has a weight and heft to it that nothing else matches up to, least of all Halo (cue bad argument about the gravity of a Halo construct).

MW2 multiplayer feels brilliant compared to Halo, which is a floaty, messy, uneven experience, but worst of all offering poor player feedback. It's something akin to comparing Quake 2 to Unreal back in the day. Bear in mind I think they're both pretty shit with a pad though, I gave Halo 3 and MW2 on 360 a few good evenings of my life before I jacked it in and went to the PC version of MW2, which is streets ahead of both. Have you played MW2 on PC Smitty? Yeah? Thought not. Or the first one? You should try it, it's nice being able to shoot properly. How about having a base for comparison before jumping in with your usual tired display of mock disbelief and incredulity.

If you're seriously saying nothing has managed to build upon the foundation that the original Halo set out in the nine years since it released, you sir are nothing but a fanboy and I cease this argument immediately, leaving you free to go back to circle strafing around flood with your giant autoaiming goatse crosshair and cackling to yourself. Enjoy.

MW2 multiplayer feels brilliant compared to Halo, which is a floaty, messy, uneven experience, but worst of all offering poor player feedback. It's something akin to comparing Quake 2 to Unreal back in the day. Bear in mind I think they're both pretty shit with a pad though, I gave Halo 3 and MW2 on 360 a few good evenings of my life before I jacked it in and went to the PC version of MW2, which is streets ahead of both. Have you played MW2 on PC Smitty? Yeah? Thought not. Or the first one? You should try it, it's nice being able to shoot properly. How about having a base for comparison before jumping in with your usual tired display of mock disbelief and incredulity.

I think playing on a console is better, as you can sit in front of a big TV on a sofa, as opposed to being squashed into an office chair, while sat at a desk, which is what you have to do when playing all PC games.

Didn't intend it as a dig, I really do wonder why you've had so many problems. I've never heard of anyone losing saves on a 360 for instance, short of actually physically going through the menu on the dash and deleting them. I realise Halo 2 had a lot of bugs so I don't find that part too hard to believe.

I've lost my save twice on halo 3

My Halo 3 save fucked up on that GHASTLY, orange, Flood level. It would take forever to load and then it would come up with a message on the screen as it started like, 'Cannot *something* *something*', booting me right back to the title screen. I hated every minute of that level which is a shame because, up until that point, the game had been great.

Why do the all the Halo games (only just started ODST, so can't include that yet) fall apart so badly at the end?

Oh, and I want bots in Reach, Bungie.

Edge Info.

-Reach is 70 percent complete.

-They gutted the old engine and left "no component untouched" when improving it.

-Now players will look the same throughout multiplayer, coop and singleplayer (and the way they look will be customizable)

-Hints there will be power drain and grav lift armour abilities..

-There is a 3d radar and the HUD can now highlight various environmental features and overlay information about them.

-Night vision returns to Reach (as seen in ODST).

-On the pause screen it mentions "grades and credits" but Bungie wont discuss them yet. Probably to do with the character customization system.

-The AR leaves smoke and sparks when it fires. Explosions have been completely redone for Reach. They are apparently, huge, dirty and lingering.

-Green marine monocle returns. WIN.

-Bungie were disappointed with the reaction of people to the halo 3 marine, so theyve brought back the flavour of the halo 1 marine.

-Mongoose return confirmed.

-Assassinations (by holding down melee) will feature in multiplayer and the instant assassination of past halos may not be featured at all. Bungie is using the Beta to decide how it will feature.

-Huge landscapes - but you can visit each area. In coop you may see your buddy fighting a long way off in the distance.

Teleportation is far less strict.

-Bungie is bending the Xbox as far as it will bend and really pushing the hardware.

-Tung says there will be some big surprises in campaign.

-The game features rain which will leave covered areas dry and vice versa.

-Elite AI has been improved a lot. They might be doing something like fixing a door and then something may attack them, but once they have dealt with the threat they'll go back to what they were doing before.

-"Bungie's not fixed on leaving the trusty BR out". The DMR has 3X zoom.

-Shield recharge not as fast as Halo 3's.

-Halo Reach's current build has a lot of computer generated audio used a place holders, meaning that the leaked beta menu footage may well be genuine.

-A few new screenshots in the article, the best being a double page spread epic view of the spartans in a cockpit. There is an artwork of Emile with a grenade launcher.

-Lehto admits that there was no generational leap on the animation side between combat evolved and ODST, but in Reach they will make them all look like the trailer (including facial animations).

I love Halo. Love it to bits. But after MW2, going back to the frame rate of Halo 3 is hard. I'd really like to see reach run at a higher frame rate.

Now I know that Bungie is under much higher pressure to deliver graphics than frame rate, so my wish isn't going to happen. I guess, what I really want them to implement is an option to have worse graphics (e.g. fewer particle effects) and better frame rate for mp. Kind of like how Bioshock had a mode where the frame rate was higher, but there was no v sync (and therefore it teared horribly).

Of course, I'd like 60fps and wonderful graphics, but being realistic that isn't going to happen: they'll aim for a solid 30fps and the best graphics they can manage.