Halo: Reach

Kryptonian

I'm not sure if i'm totally sold on the multiplayer yet either. I enjoyed the beta but it didn't blow me out of the water like Halo 2/3 did. And the maps i've played so far didn't seem great at first blush, though it's nice that they're integrating the forge world maps into matchmaking from the off, potentially endless opportunities, especially for remakes which should be fairly quick to knock up.

Disappointed the file shares from the beta have disappeared into thin air, I somehow managed an extermination in covenant team slayer but now i'll never get to show off that video again :angry:

They do, yeah.

I already have mine, but no game to use it on. :(

Oh, and the reticle doesn't actually bloom in CE does it?

I've just got to the interior of the T&R and haven't noticed it yet.

An addition made later in the series?

Umm, it's only in Reach...

For pre-orders from play, where it says it comes with bonus helmet unlock or whatever- how do you actually unlock pre-order item? Do they email you a code or something?

From experience with GAME, they email you some codes and you enter them into the dashboard. Like you would for an xbox live membership code.

No. Hooray for games where you're not spoonfed everything.

They're all balanced but equally they all have their advamtages which can be more apparent in certain circumstances.

Indeed, that's why a first playthrough is always the best as you don't know what's coming so you have the delicious agony of choice over what 2 weapons to take, then trying to make the best of a bad lot when you enter a massive open section with only a shotgun and a sword say.

Am loving the DMR in this

Indeed, that's why a first playthrough is always the best as you don't know what's coming so you have the delicious agony of choice over what 2 weapons to take, then trying to make the best of a bad lot when you enter a massive open section with only a shotgun and a sword say.

Am loving the DMR in this

Have you tried Slayer Pro DMRs yet ? It's amazing.

Has anyone else already planned out their armour, and how they want it? I'm not really one for all of the additions, so I'm thinking mine will just be:

EOD Helmet.

Black Visor.

Increment Weather (death effect)

I remember a moment in Halo: CE where me and my buddy entered the Covenant spaceship.

Upon fighting our way through the corridors, we came along a long one going down and there was another one, going right at the end.

We decided that I should stand my ground, as back up and my friend should go and check for enemies at the end of the corridor.

He decided to move a bit to the right.

In a few moments he shouted "Hunter" and the fight started. He was losing. I started heading towards him but he was back-pedalling, bringing the Hunter to the top of the corridor. I thought "better not go down there, he will kill us both."

I shouted "make him follow you, make him follow you!"

"HE IS COMING ON HIS OWN YOU KNOW!" my buddy said.

He had emptied all his clips on the Hunter and now he was at his mercy. That's when the Hunter went for melee. He was done for.

But in a fracture of time, I managed to take out my sniper and shoot at the bastard just as he was launching to kill my buddy.

I killed him in a single, amazing shot and he fell on my buddy's feet.

We stayed there, rooted to the spot by fear and excitement.

I am always looking for a moment like this since then in the series and now I am about to start Reach, the title that closes a major circle.

Wish me luck.

How important is it to be familiar with the storyline of Halo when playing this? I played and finished CE, I can't remember if I finished 2(not sure why, might have spent all my time on MP) and am hoping to finish 3 tonight before getting Reach tomorrow. Never bothered with ODST. Is it worth me recapping the storyline on YouTube or something?

The impressions on here are making me excited for a game that I wasn't too bothered about up until recently! :)

Feel like I need to write a Weapons/Enemy guide here.

This is the unique flavour of Halo, Weapons have unique traits and specific combinations of the two weapon system is required to efficiently kill an enemy.

There is not a single bullet sponge enemy in the Halo games, they usually only require a couple of bullets to kill. (with the exception of the Brutes in Halo 2..and maybe the Drones, they're just pure crap).

Really? A couple of bullets, i.e two bullets for all enemies except Brutes? This would improve my enjoyment of Halo tremendously so please do write the guide.

How important is it to be familiar with the storyline of Halo when playing this? I played and finished CE, I can't remember if I finished 2(not sure why, might have spent all my time on MP) and am hoping to finish 3 tonight before getting Reach tomorrow. Never bothered with ODST. Is it worth me recapping the storyline on YouTube or something?

The impressions on here are making me excited for a game that I wasn't too bothered about up until recently! :)

Not even remotely - never bothered much with the story myself.

No. Hooray for games where you're not spoonfed everything.

It's all easy enough to pick up. Take the plasma pistols overcharged shot. You'll find out that completely destroys a shield when you get hit by it.

I mean, aside from using the weapons and disovering their properties through direct use.

Anyway, there is no set way to take enemies down in Halo, that's the joy of it. You're free to use whatever methods you like.

And of course sometimes you're simply not able to employ the most optimum method, and you have to roll with what you have. At oter points you;ll find a certain weapon nigh-on essential, I recall numerous treks on Halo (Legendary) to pick up a needler, or a pistol, or whatever.

They're all balanced but equally they all have their advamtages which can be more apparent in certain circumstances.

Yeah, you can play Halo with the weapons you like best - and adapt to their limitations. When I play through CE, I tend to use the human weapons as much as possible, just because I like them really. You've got the AR/Pistol combo for Covenant and the AR/Shotgun combo for Flood. Add in some judicious sniper rifle usage, and you have everything you need really, although of course you can use the other weapons (on Ledge, I generally use the Needler a lot to take down groups of stubborn Elites).

It's entirely possible to go through using mainly Covenant weapons. Personally, I hate the Plasma Pistol, even though I know how useful it is against shields - I think dual wielding it in Halo 2 killed it forever for me; I just don't find it fun any more.

Not too important. I'd say it'd improve everything if you did. Things like the significance of Reach, and the timeline of the events (In that Halo CE starts as Reach ends). But I imagine you'll enjoy it just fine without knowing everything.

Feel like I need to write a Weapons/Enemy guide here.

This is the unique flavour of Halo, Weapons have unique traits and specific combinations of the two weapon system is required to efficiently kill an enemy.

There is not a single bullet sponge enemy in the Halo games, they usually only require a couple of bullets to kill. (with the exception of the Brutes in Halo 2..and maybe the Drones, they're just pure crap).

The Drones are crap, but they can be taken down (in Halo 2, at least) by a couple of Battle Rifle bursts, IIRC.

What weapon takes down an Elite in a couple of shots, though? (Power weapons aside). Do you mean the Plasma Pistol/Pistol combo?

And as per usual, I'm loving the Shotgun in MP. I've had 2 Shotgun Sprees so far. I expect that to continue once I've learned where it is on each map.

I love people charging in close with the AR, wondering why I'm not returning fire, only to get a face bull of buckshot when we're about a foot apart and I'm on the brink of death :wub:

I am always looking for a moment like this since then in the series and now I am about to start Reach, the title that closes a major circle.

It was the cool moments like that which sold me on Halo... taking down a Banshee in a turret, and having the Banshee nearly crash onyo you, holding your breath as it slides closer; having a Hunter leave its post and flank and kill me while I smugly sniped its allies (by navigating a steep slope, beach and cave), and giving me the fright of my life - they can do that?

Sadly, I don't get anything like these moments in CE any more - I know what the Halo engine is capable of. Halos 2, 3 and ODST just didn't throw anything jaw-dropping up either (the set pieces were cool, yes, but I'm talking unique, emergent experiences). Maybe Reach will, but I'm probably too Halo-jaded by this point to be surprised by it. It's a bit like a favourite album you can't actually hear properly any more, because you know it too well. :(

And as per usual, I'm loving the Shotgun in MP. I've had 2 Shotgun Sprees so far. I expect that to continue once I've learned where it is on each map.

I love people charging in close with the AR, wondering why I'm not returning fire, only to get a face bull of buckshot when we're about a foot apart and I'm on the brink of death :wub:

I always found the shotgun un-usable in MP, because it's so susceptible to latency. I'd never hit anyone with it! I'd seem to, but they wouldn't die.

You'd think a less accurate weapon like the shotty would work well, but it never seemed to. Maybe because it only works in proximity; the Sword at least had lock on, so once you swung, you'd hit.

Edit: I'm talking about Halo 2, really. I never tried the shotty much in 3, and I haven't played Reach yet.

Not even remotely - never bothered much with the story myself.

Not too important. I'd say it'd improve everything if you did. Things like the significance of Reach, and the timeline of the events (In that Halo CE starts as Reach ends). But I imagine you'll enjoy it just fine without knowing everything.

Cheers :) I'll finish Halo 3 and then jump straight into Reach. Maybe one day I'll have a bit of time and play them all back to back :)

It was the cool moments like that which sold me on Halo... taking down a Banshee in a turret, and having the Banshee nearly crash onyo you, holding your breath as it slides closer; having a Hunter leave its post and flank and kill me while I smugly sniped its allies (by navigating a steep slope, beach and cave), and giving me the fright of my life - they can do that?

Sadly, I don't get anything like these moments in CE any more - I know what the Halo engine is capable of. Halos 2, 3 and ODST just didn't throw anything jaw-dropping up either (the set pieces were cool, yes, but I'm talking unique, emergent experiences). Maybe Reach will, but I'm probably too Halo-jaded by this point to be surprised by it. It's a bit like a favourite album you can't actually hear properly any more, because you know it too well. :(

There was another moment that has stayed with me, from Halo 3. The Scarab fight near the end. Playing this on Legendary, with three friends, grabbing the helicopters in pairs and trying to take down the Scarabs was a glorious videogame moment, certainly miles ahead of any other fps has offered, bar HL2.

It was an amazing fight, my buddy trying to land me in one of the scarabs to take it down from the inside... Amazing, amazing scenes.

I am hoping Reach will offer some moments like that, and from what I hear, it's proper made for 4 player co-op this time, difficulty and design wise.

Oh yeah, I loved those scarabs too. It took me loads of attempts, even on heroic. I was playing it again yesterday and just used the helicopter thing to take them both out from distance after reading that was possible on here. It wasn't nearly as much fun as dropping right into them.

First impressions are that I am not as blown away by the SP as I thought I would be. The motion/peripheral blue is annoying.

First impressions are that I am not as blown away by the SP as I thought I would be. The motion/peripheral blue is annoying.

First mission or two isn't all that, third one is where it all kicked into place for me. Very Halo CE vibes.

I played up to the beginning of the fifth mission then went into MP for a bit, didn't want to overdo the campaign and finish it all straight away :)

MP is starting to click again, though I need a good team, playing with randoms does suck quite a bit