Halo: Reach

Kryptonian

I seriously doubt anyone would mourn the loss of invincible team mates. Invincible team mates who make the game easier, even on the hardest setting. Out of all the Halo games, I found the first to be the hardest, and thus most challenging and satisfying. If Reach didn't have the invincible team mates, this would be the most challenging Halo IMO.

I guess Bungie don't want to make the same game and tell the same story five times.

I mean, aside from the balance of compromises once you decide that.

Yes, the ''story''.

They run interference anyway, distracting some of the enemies. A bit, anyway, you always seem to be the target when both of you are in plain sight.

But the story is always the most inconsequential part of Halo (maybe with the exception of the first game). It's true that you won't see them kill Hunters, but you will see them get stuck into Elites, using both weapons and fists.

I guess Bungie don't want to make the same game and tell the same story five times.

I mean, aside from the balance of compromises once you decide that.

That's where Bungie keep going wrong. They think they know how to tell a story. They don't. They've always been piss poor at it. They should stick to what they do brilliantly - combat and set peices. The best way to do it is minimalistically, like they did in the first game, where it was never intrusive.

The best way to do it is minimalistically, like they did in the first game, where it was never intrusive.

Or, like I said, they don't want to make exactly the same game again. One of the things people have asked for for ages is to fight with other spartans.

Bungie give us other Spartans. You will never be able to please all of the people all of the time.

I find it very hard to believe that there are many people out there who think that Bungie know anything about story telling. It's always by far the worst aspect of all the Halo games.

Or, like I said, they don't want to make exactly the same game again. One of the things people have asked for for ages is to fight with other spartans.

Halo Reach without invincible comrades wouldn't be Halo CE. It would be quite possible to tell this story without having a bunch of invincible Spartans doing your dirty work for much of the game.

Halo Reach without invincible comrades wouldn't be Halo CE.

I mean what I said in the sense of trying something new, ie this time you fight alongside other Spartans.

If you want to have team mates, there are two options.

doing your dirty work for much of the game.

All aboard the Exaggeration Express!

:lol:

I'd like to shoot the breeze with the one that thought this would be a cool idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zku2tIoSbfs

I think one of the issues with the whole gravemind thing is that there isn't *enough* story to make it flow properly. It's not really established properly before hand anywhere that a mass of flood can reach a critical point and gain an overriding intelligence.

Well, not to the extent of the gravemind, anyway. You see Captain Keyes transformed into a giant flood blob with these tentacles all over the controls of the Truth and Reconciliation, suggesting some sort of desire to pilot the ship and use it to get away but....

I think one of the issues with the whole gravemind thing is that there isn't *enough* story to make it flow properly. It's not really established properly before hand anywhere that a mass of flood can reach a critical point and gain an overriding intelligence.

No Smitty. It's just fucking rubbish full stop. They really trashed whatever they had built, story-wise, with that moronic addition.

I thought te other Spartans were there alongside you because if you played co-op the other players resumed the roles of other members of noble team, but I'm guessing now this isn't the case? In which case who do they play, just more other nameless, personality-less spartans? Seems like a missed opportunity if that's the case.

Well, not to the extent of the gravemind, anyway. You see Captain Keyes transformed into a giant flood blob with these tentacles all over the controls of the Truth and Reconciliation, suggesting some sort of desire to pilot the ship and use it to get away but....

No Smitty. It's just fucking rubbish full stop. They really trashed whatever they had built, story-wise, with that moronic addition.

Blah blah blah. I disagree.

Just watched the cutscene again and the dialogue is actually great. The problem with the scene, aside from what I said before (plus, like, where has the gravemind appeared from, exactly?), is that the gravemind just looks goofy as hell.

It would have been better to just it speak through the face of a human or covenant, rather than this big goofy mouth type thing, which I have no idea why the gravemind would have that.

The actual dialogue and how it affects the story is great.

Well, I feel stupid now for bothering to reply in a sincere manner if a stupid fucking lol emoticon is all I'm going to get.

You seem to shit on everyone.

Hey it's Snowbind and his pointless little digs, where he adds fuck-all to the conversation.

Hello, Snowbind!

I think you'll find Simmy, as an example, wasn't very keen on this at all a ways back, and I said nothing because there was nothing I took issue with in post, despite not agreeing with his sentiment.

Sounds like you're just making shit up. Like Hexx.

Blah blah blah. I disagree.

Just watched the cutscene again and the dialogue is actually great. The problem with the scene, aside from what I said before (plus, like, where has the gravemind appeared from, exactly?), is that the gravemind just looks goofy as hell.

It would have been better to just it speak through the face of a human or covenant, rather than this big goofy mouth type thing, which I have no idea why the gravemind would have that.

The actual dialogue and how it affects the story is great.

Well, I feel stupid now for bothering to reply in a sincere manner if a stupid fucking lol emoticon is all I'm going to get.

Hey, don't get like that - I like you. I just find the story a bit silly, dude. When you went through it all like that it just made me giggle, as I'd never given it a second thought.

The best way to do it is minimalistically, like they did in the first game, where it was never intrusive.

Yeah, I don't get this.

Halo had a sprinkling of cutscenes and a load of in-game dialogue.

Reach has a sprinkling of cutscenes and a lot of in-game dialogue.

What's changed?

Then again I remember the criticisms of the first games story, which perhaps others have forgotten about.

Hey, don't get like that - I like you. I just find the story a bit silly, dude. When you went through it all like that it just made me giggle, as I'd never given it a second thought.

Ok. Fair enough.

The story does have it's problems. I think a lot of it is in the exact way it's executed, not purely in the concept.

I mean, take that cutscene. Funnily enough, as soon as I saw it, I was all 'that was rubbish' and then preceded to only watch five seconds.

After making a post or thinking for a while I thought I should actually work out what was wrong with it, and watch it properly. So I did, and I found that I thought the actual dialogue was great (''this one is but flesh and much faith'') but that the presentation and context were lacking.

Another mission down and had an interesting AI bug.

So the AI gets stuck on scenary blown about by some explosions and won't go open the doors. That's ok, these things happen.

Unfortunately going foward to checkpoints doesn't ever reset him.

So after running backwards and forward to the grenade supply, I manage to unblock the scenary with explosions. Took about 5 minutes, but still quicker than redoing the level.

So eventually he's freed, runs over to the doors (which have now opened as the dialogue said they would) only for him to get stuck on the doors. No way to blow him off there, no way to get him to continue.

Yeah, I don't get this.

Halo had a sprinkling of cutscenes and a load of in-game dialogue.

Reach has a sprinkling of cutscenes and a lot of in-game dialogue.

What's changed?

Then again I remember the criticisms of the first games story, which perhaps others have forgotten about.

I think Halo was a decent sci-fi yarn. It was told via infrequent and brief cut-scenes. Everything since has felt much less considered, overly convoluted, and more than a tad self-indulgent. They had this great, simple idea, of the Halos, and they told that story quite neatly in the first game, but they've not really known what to do with it since. It's strange, because the little Forerunner stories you come across in the Halo 3 terminals are actually infinitely more engaging than any story they've managed to tell since Halo. They should definitely make a Forerunner game.

Wait? I've made stuff up?.

Good god Smitty stop being so fucking insecure. People dislike something you like. It doesn't belittle you at all.

Trying to pull that "Opinions are like arseholes" gumph, when you're the loudest criticser of others opinions does.

The best way of incorporating team mates is by making them helpful but unnecessary, like powerups in old scrolling shooters. You get a benefit by keeping your teammates alive (more firepower), but if you loose them you can still make it through but have to work harder.

Like the Marines in the previous games, I guess.

I hate the invincible team-mates. In ODST, there's a city cop who's basically an uber-tank, taking on dozens of Covenant, surviving grenade blasts and Brute hammer hits, and so on, and just going "oof" and carrying on. Then he dies in a scripted bit. <_< As well as reminding me I'm playing a game, it robs me of the feeling of being the game's hero. Some arbitrary bloke I bumped into in a tunnel is tougher than me.

I didn't mind the latter so much in Halo 3 when the Arbiter was unkillable, because at least he's one of the Covenant's best fighters. Sgt Johnson was more annoying, as he's got a silly space opera-y reason for being immortal, and also because he's a walking cliche. But game-play wise it wasn't too bad. They would go down if you were bad at the game, and recover a bit later. This meant that the story-line was preserved, but you didn't get too much help if you were shit.

I actually like the story elements in this so far. The cut scenes don't drag and are fairly engaging, whereas halo 2 and 3s were mostly dull as fuck, and made me constantly question why I'm wasting my time watching such drivel.

I actually like the story elements in this so far. The cut scenes don't drag and are fairly engaging, whereas halo 2 and 3s were mostly dull as fuck, and made me constantly question why I'm wasting my time watching such drivel.

Cool story bro.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist.)