IGNORED

Halo: Reach

Kryptonian

Its not necessarily Cortana that will change the war, rather the information Halsey discovered about the artifact. She encoded it into Cortana, namely the co-ordinates for the Halo ringworld thats in Halo CE.

I thought this was really, really badly communicated in the game. I was under the impression during my playthrough of Reach that Cortana was an AI they had recovered from the excavation. I couldn't remember how the start of Halo CE played out but I don't remember Cortana being central to it all... and why do they need this particular AI to carry the data? Really badly explained, it was implied that Cortana was the lynchpin, not info about Halo.

How is it explained in the fiction that the scientists see Halo as a lynchpin to win the war? In fact in Halo CE, it turns out that it's simply yet another thing that the humans have to do to prevent the annihilation of their race, not the silver bullet that the scientist implied to use against the Covenant.

Also is Captain Keyes much younger in this game or is my memory failing me?

They never explain the fiction properly. The supposed revelations in ODST made no sense unless you read up...and Reach carried on the tradition. They sometimes end chapters on these big reveals too, and im thinking..er..why is that significant. And i do know the halo story. Oh well.

I thought this was really, really badly communicated in the game. I was under the impression during my playthrough of Reach that Cortana was an AI they had recovered from the excavation. I couldn't remember how the start of Halo CE played out but I don't remember Cortana being central to it all... and why do they need this particular AI to carry the data? Really badly explained, it was implied that Cortana was the lynchpin, not info about Halo.

How is it explained in the fiction that the scientists see Halo as a lynchpin to win the war? In fact in Halo CE, it turns out that it's simply yet another thing that the humans have to do to prevent the annihilation of their race, not the silver bullet that the scientist implied to use against the Covenant.

Also is Captain Keyes much younger in this game or is my memory failing me?

I'm not sure how you came to those conclusions. It all seemed pretty obvious to me.

Thanks for the answers to my questions, all.

3) We don't know. But Carter makes it clear that Jun is to kill Halsey in the event it looks like the Covenant might capture her.

Yeah, I clocked that, something about it really tickled me, like Carter really wanted it to happen. She was some wagon.

I'm not sure how you came to those conclusions. It all seemed pretty obvious to me.

Same here. You'd think if

END GAME SPOILERS

Cortana was a Forerunner AI, as Stock's logic implies, that we would have heard about it at some point. That explaination makes no sense therefore his logic makes no sense.

I am always reminded by this sort of thing by people saying they were baffled by the plot of the Matrix back in '99.

I would agree that they should have shown

GENERALLY DON'T READ THESE IF YOU'VE NOT FINISHED THE GAME, GEEZ

Six falling to the planet, even if only a few brief shots, as it would have been really cool and would have made it absolutely what had happened. I mean, I understood perfectly, but I was surprised that it cut from him being in space to him being on the surface of Reach. It needed some falling, some rushing air. It's pretty abrupt. I thought games were about showing cool stuff life that.

I was slightly annoyed by that. It's a shame because they other beautiful shots in there like him falling away from the ship, the covenant cruiser being teleported in half etc. And it's very melancholy.

I would agree that they should have shown

GENERALLY DON'T READ THESE IF YOU'VE NOT FINISHED THE GAME, GEEZ

Six falling to the planet, even if only a few brief shots, as it would have been really cool and would have made it absolutely what had happened. I mean, I understood perfectly, but I was surprised that it cut from him being in space to him being on the surface of Reach. It needed some falling, some rushing air. It's pretty abrupt. I thought games were about showing cool stuff life that.

I was slightly annoyed by that. It's a shame because they other beautiful shots in there like him falling away from the ship, the covenant cruiser being teleported in half etc. And it's very melancholy.

If they

by some miracle had you controlling 6 for the fall back to Reach, having to glide as best as possible to a relatively 'safe' (sloped, softer ground) LZ, while nursing your jet pack, and allowing it to recharge and constantly slow yourself down somewhat, while the surface came up at you at a few hundred miles per hour, gradually becoming more and more detailed as you fell closer and closer, ready to engage armour lock at the very last moment, the remains of the Covenant Supercarrier falling with you, around you

well frankly, this might have occured:

I_jizz_in_my_pants_by_HOLIMOUNT.jpg

If they

by some miracle had you controlling 6 for the fall back to Reach, having to glide as best as possible to a relatively 'safe' (sloped, softer ground) LZ, while nursing your jet pack, and allowing it to recharge and constantly slow yourself down somewhat, while the surface came up at you at a few hundred miles per hour, gradually becoming more and more detailed as you fell closer and closer, ready to engage armour lock at the very last moment, the remains of the Covenant Supercarrier falling with you, around you

I was really hoping for a section exactly like that, it couldve been done basically as a wholesale rip off of the intro to Crysis, and wouldve been fuckawesome

I was really hoping for a section exactly like that, it couldve been done basically as a wholesale rip off of the intro to Crysis, and wouldve been fuckawesome

Aye, Crysis was the exact thing I was thinking of. Just on a much, much bigger scale!

They could have...

...had you continue to fall backwards, only able to tilt your view around slightly. You could watch the super carrier explode and start to break apart, only having the re-entry system — however that works — kicking in when you're a reasonable distance from the ground, thus not having to aggressively LOD the surface up to that point; you can get pretty high in the regular levels.

Given that you'd be falling through the atmosphere and then cloud cover there would be plenty of opportunities to switch in new imposters for the space/sky above. Hell, it would be the perfect opportunity to show the new wave of Covenant troops jumping in; you play a character that is literally helpless, trapped watching as your best efforts turn out to be in vain.

Six could blackout for a time upon landing, allowing a smooth transition into the opening of the next level.

If they

Oh God. I just thought:

Imagine also looking up at the horizon. Seeing the Cruisers glassing major populations centres all over Reach. Your comms. equipment picking up masses of distress calls, beacons, people crying out for help. All in the silence of the fall.

Yeah, that's right bitches, I quoted myself. I quoted myself and it was fucking worth it.

I didn't have problems with the story elements discussed above, but I did notice another problem with the story-telling in this game.

I just watched the Legendary commentary, and I was surprised that in several places in the game, there are cool in-engine reveals that you're meant to see, but I missed because I happened to be looking the other way, or in a different room! For example, when you

get to the Sabre fighter,

you're meant to see it there, through a window, and in the commentary they called it a "big reveal", but I missed it until I was

climbing the gantry.

Likewise, the final platform in the last level - I was thoroughly confused as to where the

MAC cannon

was, in relation to what I was doing, during the whole fight, and I couldn't actually find it when I had to go off there.

There were two or three other examples in the commentary, too. Bungie need to make some of this stuff clearer (cue some people telling me "it was obvious", but I'm reminded about the debate about the crappy "ship cut in half" cut-scene at the end of Halo 3, and how some people said "it's obvious"... but enough of us were confused by the poor directing that it clearly is an issue, even if many players picked up on it).

Oh, and by the way, I wasn't confused by the Matrix. (I do think it's an incredibly over-rated film, but that's another story).

Oh God. I just thought:

Imagine also looking up at the horizon. Seeing the Cruisers glassing major populations centres all over Reach. Your comms. equipment picking up masses of distress calls, beacons, people crying out for help. All in the silence of the fall.

Yeah, that's right bitches, I quoted myself. I quoted myself and it was fucking worth it.

That actually wouldve been incredible :blink:

Same here. You'd think if

END GAME SPOILERS

Cortana was a Forerunner AI, as Stock's logic implies, that we would have heard about it at some point. That explaination makes no sense therefore his logic makes no sense.

I am always reminded by this sort of thing by people saying they were baffled by the plot of the Matrix back in '99.

It's the way the script's written that made me misinterpret it. Check this vid from 8:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSph2r8a7LI . When she starts talking I assumed the knowledge was part of the excavation, and then she says "this AI is the custodian" I assumed it meant that the AI was part of the excavation as well... and then she mentions "this artifact" which I thought was referring to Cortana as she doesn't explain anything about Halo before that...

So let me get this right: the general gist actually is, the pool of knowledge is actually collated by the scientist lady, Cortana manages it. In the excavation they discover some reference to Halo, they think they can use against the Covenant... and so she sends off Cortana with that knowledge. I'm also guessing the non-game fiction explains that the Covenant actually attack Reach to find more Forerunner secrets? At the start of Halo CE, Cortana has taken the Pillar of Autumn to co-ordinates from the knowledge she has, and the Covenant follow only to discover with glee that it's something they've been searching for for ages?

I just watched the Legendary commentary, and I was surprised that in several places in the game, there are cool in-engine reveals that you're meant to see, but I missed because I happened to be looking the other way, or in a different room!

Not heard of the commentary before and can't find mention of it elsewhere in the thread, where can you find this commentary? Thanks.

I didn't have problems with the story elements discussed above, but I did notice another problem with the story-telling in this game.

I just watched the Legendary commentary, and I was surprised that in several places in the game, there are cool in-engine reveals that you're meant to see, but I missed because I happened to be looking the other way, or in a different room! For example, when you

get to the Sabre fighter,

you're meant to see it there, through a window, and in the commentary they called it a "big reveal", but I missed it until I was

climbing the gantry.

Likewise, the final platform in the last level - I was thoroughly confused as to where the

MAC cannon

was, in relation to what I was doing, during the whole fight, and I couldn't actually find it when I had to go off there.

There were two or three other examples in the commentary, too. Bungie need to make some of this stuff clearer (cue some people telling me "it was obvious", but I'm reminded about the debate about the crappy "ship cut in half" cut-scene at the end of Halo 3, and how some people said "it's obvious"... but enough of us were confused by the poor directing that it clearly is an issue, even if many players picked up on it).

Oh, and by the way, I wasn't confused by the Matrix. (I do think it's an incredibly over-rated film, but that's another story).

Well, no. They're not game changers. It's nice if you notice them. If you don't? So what.

But seriously, how the fuck could you

not realise where the MAC was?

It's not exactly a set of car keys now is it? It's certainly not inconfuckingspicuous.

Interestingly, one of the cut bits from Halo 2 was a section where you drift from Cairo Station onto a Covenant supercarrier, which you would have smashed up from the inside with the help of Miranda Keyes and some ODSTs, in an extra level between Cairo Station and Outskirts. On the way back from the Covenant ship, Bungie originally intended for the player to be able to look around as you drifted towards 'In Amber Clad'.

It would have been great, if the sequence had been in any way practical.

So let me get this right: the general gist actually is, the pool of knowledge is actually collated by the scientist lady, Cortana manages it. In the excavation they discover some reference to Halo, they think they can use against the Covenant... and so she sends off Cortana with that knowledge. I'm also guessing the non-game fiction explains that the Covenant actually attack Reach to find more Forerunner secrets? At the start of Halo CE, Cortana has taken the Pillar of Autumn to co-ordinates from the knowledge she has, and the Covenant follow only to discover with glee that it's something they've been searching for for ages?

I pretty sure that's exactly right.

There are also references in the game to the Covenant's motives for attacking Reach. All the Zealots you come across are searching for Forerunner artefacts.

Not heard of the commentary before and can't find mention of it elsewhere in the thread, where can you find this commentary? Thanks.

It's bonus content that's exclusive to the Legendary Edition (and in all likelihood, it's on YouTube).

Regarding the cutscene between levels 6 and 7:

The lack of a proper transition from orbit to planetside was a bit jarring, to the point where it does rather feel like something was cut. At the very least, I would have expected to see Noble 6 crash land, if nothing else.

Also RB, can you go back in time and work at Bungie please :(

I doubt it's a lack of imagination, obviously practical considerations are holding them back.

It's not like Bungie lack imagination, both in detail and scope. But they're a dev in the real world. Look at Halo 2. They made so much, and cut so much.

They were ambitious, at least.

For all the mistakes along the way they're clearly great devs and I can't wait to see what they have for us next.