IGNORED

Halo: Reach

Kryptonian

Started again on Legendary last night, put on some sennheiser headphones (it was very late), cranked up the headphones and had a cracking experience. Managed to do Winter Contingency without dying and got the avatar award to boot, not bad for a first go. The plasma pistol is a total lifesaver, had a proper shit pants moment as the very last elite charged me with a sword, a facefull of plasma and a quick switch to the DMR and one headshot later he was brown bread. Really noticed the music a lot more through headphones, the end of the level music was awesome and the start of Sword Base was nothing short of epic.

Which leads me to question, Halo has all these brilliant themes , arguably some of the best in videogame history yet when you're sat in a matchmaking lobby you and your team are sat in total silence for 5 minutes whilst it finds guys and picks game modes. What a criminal waste...would love some COD style riffage to get you pumped before a game.

I've played only a few times now, and mostly with large groups of people from here

I must admit i'm not enjoying the games too much as the sweet spot of 4 buddies vs 4 randoms from the interwebs is where the game really hits home

I must be more disciplined and try to get three others and stick to it rather than get tempted into customs/btb/multi team

I dunno, there's plenty of time to do parties of 4 in matchmaking, and customs with decent numbers usually only last a few months after release. Some of the best games i've ever had in Halo 2/3 were custom slayer or CTF games with people from here. It doesn't always work out well, but when it does, it's great. Same with matchmaking I guess...

Anyway, there's a thread trying to get days etc sorted for custom games in the Halo Folder: clickage

One thing I really love about the Halo games is that you’ll occasionally get one random marine or civilian who turns out to be a maxi-badass. I had this last night, on that night-time sniper level, where you bump into a group of smugglers holed up in a pumping station. Normally, on Legendary, the civs get smoked in their entirety within a matter of seconds, but this time, one guy survived the initial encounter. I gave him a rocket launcher, and he absolutely regulated – he survived for ages, against overwhelming odds.

Loads of times I’d be huddled up behind some concrete, shivering in the drizzle while hot plasma jizzed onto the ground all around me, only to see a rocket streaking out from the middle distance and blowing up some mans.

Eventually he died – the hunters were too much even for his preternatural brutalisation powers – but I will honour his memory with the mad shrine I’ve made in my back garden.

I had that at the end of the city mission, where you have to clear those anti-air things and then kill a load of brutes including one with a hammer and another with a fuel rod gun. I had one marine left outside so I gave him the fuel rod gun I had and then we went through the double doors. Shit kicked off, the marine started streaking hot green plasma into everything whilst i DMR'd grunt heads from behind him. The hammer brute came running towards us only to get a face full of green as well.

As you say, just one of those moments where it all gets fucking ace.

Somehow PVT D. Aldridge survived the

Corvette battle. As in, made it right up til the end, when Jorge stays behind to blow it up. I like to think of him and Jorge shaking hands in slow motion as the timer ticked down to explodesville.

One thing I really love about the Halo games is that you’ll occasionally get one random marine or civilian who turns out to be a maxi-badass. I had this last night, on that night-time sniper level, where you bump into a group of smugglers holed up in a pumping station. Normally, on Legendary, the civs get smoked in their entirety within a matter of seconds, but this time, one guy survived the initial encounter. I gave him a rocket launcher, and he absolutely regulated – he survived for ages, against overwhelming odds.

I keep wondering if the humans of the future are really all that, given that a marine will disregard a rocket launcher, or fuel rod gun in favour of the assault rifle/potato gun/brick they hold. I would like to think that, in the unlikely event that aliens started raining nuclear death upon my homeland, I would look for the meanest implement of death available before running towards the invaders. I hypothesise that the only reason why the Covenant appear to be winning is that they start with the nukes and move down the weapon scale later on, unlike the marines who choose the most child-friendly weapons first. Either that or the procurement department for the UNSC is staffed by a bunch of twunts getting kickbacks for placing massive orders for assault rifles and warthogs, and not answering the phone to the scorpion and spartan laser salesmen.

I assume the marines/npcs have unlimited ammo with whatever weapon you give them?

I think so - they always did in Halo 2 onwards (and they never ran out in the first game, although you couldn't give them weapons). It's actually worth giving a power weapon to an NPC when you only have one round left, as you can get more value out of it that way (I haven't tried it in Reach, admittedly, but it worked in the previous games).

I keep wondering if the humans of the future are really all that, given that a marine will disregard a rocket launcher, or fuel rod gun in favour of the assault rifle/potato gun/brick they hold. I would like to think that, in the unlikely event that aliens started raining nuclear death upon my homeland, I would look for the meanest implement of death available before running towards the invaders. I hypothesise that the only reason why the Covenant appear to be winning is that they start with the nukes and move down the weapon scale later on, unlike the marines who choose the most child-friendly weapons first. Either that or the procurement department for the UNSC is staffed by a bunch of twunts getting kickbacks for placing massive orders for assault rifles and warthogs, and not answering the phone to the scorpion and spartan laser salesmen.

This makes me think of a nice touch in the

Sniper level. Jun says how awesome the sniper rounds are, then says they're expensive (i.e. he provides an in-universe reason why you aren't supplied with 3000 of them).

I assume the marines/npcs have unlimited ammo with whatever weapon you give them?

yep, I often give the FRG to a marine when I am down to the last shell so they can rinse it more (I normally do this when we are on a warthog so you are packing the chain gun and FRG)

I think so - they always did in Halo 2 onwards (and they never ran out in the first game, although you couldn't give them weapons). It's actually worth giving a power weapon to an NPC when you only have one round left, as you can get more value out of it that way (I haven't tried it in Reach, admittedly, but it worked in the previous games).

Aye. After that bit I was on about above where you get the Hog and have to turn some things off to allow the civilian transports to get away, I had a marine manning the gun and I'd given another marine the fuel rod from the previous encounter and had him in the passenger seat. The subsequent bit proved surprisingly easy with those two dealing out the death.

Headhunter is AMAZING!

It was definitely one of my favourite multiplayer additions in the beta. It takes "you stole my kill!" to whole new levels. Also: SKULLAMANJARO.

I'm loving the extra medals they've added to FF and Multiplayer. I'm a massive sucker for the medals/scoring aspect of the game, and I always thought the weapon sprees should extend beyond 10. Most of the others they've added are great as well, though I still think there should be one for hitting a guy with the bomb in assault; you get them for oddball and flag kills after all.

I don't think this is a bug. If I'm not mistaken, you get Sprint after a certain amount of kills.

There is a bug whereby the amour abilities for everyone will just disappear. All armour abilities act exactly the same - you use them. Then they recharge. None of this killing nonsense.

It'll be fixed next month, which is when Bungie have said the first bug fixes/tweak release is due.

It was definitely one of my favourite multiplayer additions in the beta. It takes "you stole my kill!" to whole new levels. Also: SKULLAMANJARO.

I'm loving the extra medals they've added to FF and Multiplayer. I'm a massive sucker for the medals/scoring aspect of the game, and I always thought the weapon sprees should extend beyond 10. Most of the others they've added are great as well, though I still think there should be one for hitting a guy with the bomb in assault; you get them for oddball and flag kills after all.

You know when you go to the stats screen post-game and it says you've got 28 medals or whatever... how do you find out what they were?

Hit the A button to bring up the player screen - you should see the medals all lined up with how many you got.

Or just look on bungie.net. I love looking through all my game stats there. Has anyone gotten the 'yoink' medal yet? I love the announcers voice when he says it, it sounds like a death metal version of the announcer or something, its all 'yoooink :angry: '

I wish those

jetpack ODSTs were a bit harder, as they're all "Let's do this Bullfrogs, woo! Try to keep up, silly Spartan!". Then the first couple of brutes basically wipe them out. I'm trying my best guys!

yeah they're kinda bitches. Wish they could take guns aswell, it's always funny to give a random grunt a fuel rod cannon or whatever and watch him go hog wild on the covey.

did anyone

actually bother fighting the scarabs and stuff near the end, seemed like a lot to do with just a mate with a shotty

I had that at the end of the city mission, where you have to clear those anti-air things and then kill a load of brutes including one with a hammer and another with a fuel rod gun. I had one marine left outside so I gave him the fuel rod gun I had and then we went through the double doors. Shit kicked off, the marine started streaking hot green plasma into everything whilst i DMR'd grunt heads from behind him. The hammer brute came running towards us only to get a face full of green as well.

As you say, just one of those moments where it all gets fucking ace.

This is what Halo is all about for me, and one of the reasons I find it hard to go back to CE. It's also why the invincible team-mates are a downer.

The killable NPCs in this seem even weaker tham in previous games in Legendary. That bit at the pumping station on the night mission was basically "Spartan, keep those civilians alive we need....oh". On my next playthrough I'm going to keep killing myself until I get at least one out alive, like K.

I did manage to retain an ODST from the start of The Package until the point where you have to leave the Scorpion (he wouldn't come any further), where we said our goodbyes. I took the fuel rod gun back off him before I left, of course.

Where in the name of fuck was the scorpion? Did I struggle through that level on a ghost for nothing?

There's even an achievement for keeping the scorpion intact on that level. You walk straight into it after the first bit, can't really miss it. You probably mistook it for a big rock or something since the level is rather dark and dreary, so I'd advice turning on night vision :)

last night i jetpacked up off a rock outcrop towards the sea as a massive battle unfolded just below (fuel rods flying everywhere), feathered the power to hover in place, then curved up to hijack an incoming banshee in mid-air and fly it off as the previous occupant fell to a watery death. halo is AMAZING.