IGNORED

Halo: Reach

Kryptonian

I cant help thinking its a joke by Bungie, offering "look, here i am, shoot me" hats to people who'll wear them under the impression it makes them elite.

Oh, I sure don't think that. I just like the fact that I'm running around and my fucking face is on fire. I've also not found it makes me an easier target. I can still pull off stealthy kills. I can still get a good K/D ratio. And most importantly ( ;) ) , my face is still on fire.

Here we go again... :lol:

What? I did on Normal first, just to blast through the story, and it was a piece of piss. Heroic was much better. Legendary is where it's at though.

What? I did on Normal first, just to blast through the story, and it was a piece of piss. Heroic was much better. Legendary is where it's at though.

For you, sure.

My sweetspot would be somewhere between normal and heroic, and plenty of others in the thread have said they've had the most fun on normal.

I played through on normal and completed it. Enjoyed it too.

Tried Heroic but I find it too frustrating and I end up questioning whether I'm actually having any fun at all (I'm usually not).

I guess I'll never experience Halo AS IT WAS MEANT TO BE PLAYEDtm so my opinion is void though. ;)

What's fun about playing it on normal? I'm not saying 'don't play it on normal, you fucking half-man piece of shit' or anything, but shooting weak alien mongs just doesn't buzz me at all, personally. Halo's all about desperate, against-all-odds combat against intelligent, aggressive foes.

Playing Halo on Normal is like using martial arts against a guy in a wheelchair. Sure, it's fun to kick back and relax, but don't you wanna test your skills out on his vengeful ninja assassin brother who just popped out your chimney as you were wanking off to Christine Bleakley on the telly? I know I did.

Playing Halo on Normal is like using martial arts against a guy in a wheelchair.

Again, isnt that linked directly to your skill level?

To those who aren't as good at Halo, the AI on normal is still challenging, and equivalent to a more skilled person taking on heroic or legendary.

Ah Long Night of Solace is doing my tits in :(

Just defending the pelican with Jorge, or what ever the fuck he's called. Think its the last wave, just made up of Uber shiny Elites with the homing plasma launchers. Trying to keep back in one of the corridors and snipe the mudda farkars but they seems to take a fuck load of rounds to bring them down. Just read that you can jump onto the pelican and they wont follow you so might give that a try.

Really wanting to play with some 'muks at some point. Lone wolf is all well and good but its a bit souless every night.

Add me bitches!!!

:ph34r:

You can join me for a few games whenever you like dude. Just fire me a message.

In fact, you dropped into my forge map while I was tinkering the other night. I tried to speak to you but presumed you either didn't have your headset connected or you couldn't hear me. By the time I'd saved and left to jump into some multiplayer with you, you appeared offline on my friends list.

Playlist update from a Bungie dude over at GAF:

this just in: current targeted release date for Oct. playlist update is next Tuesday (pending final test pass, etc..). Only one more weekend of enduring SWAT!!! biggrin.gif (Snipers is NOT getting its own playlist - not for now at least - but it will be weighted MUCH lower so you'll see it/vote on it a lot less)

Rumble Pit isn't being addressed in this update, it's being worked on for the next one - stuff like Infection, Race, etc.. being moved into either dedicated playlists or weekend playlists pending demand and population - but we need people to make more Race and Infection maps! Get to it!

Also note: Season 2 of the Arena (the first 'full' real season) will not feature a change to the radar/no-radar option. It's likely to be introduced as a voting option for Season 3 and then that data could dictate the standard setup for Season 4.

Edit: On Forge:

We're getting the process and infrastructure fleshed out now. There won't be any fan-made maps added in October but hopefully we have enough good content to kick off a Forge World community playlist for November. Think of this as the successor to the "Bungie vs. the World" type playlist that becomes the initial proving ground and first stop for maps before they potentially migrate into the greater matchmaking playlists. Of course there will be exceptions but this is the general model we want to initially follow.

Anyone else underwhelmed by the multiplayer maps? I think they mostly just plain suck, which is a shame as the gameplay is perhaps better than ever.

i'm not too impressed either. in Halo 3 and Reach they seem to want to ground the maps in the campaign and this i think limits them. Halo 2 had all sorts of maps that are still getting reproduced just because they were fun. reflection is a great recreation though

Ah Long Night of Solace is doing my tits in :(

Just defending the pelican with Jorge, or what ever the fuck he's called. Think its the last wave, just made up of Uber shiny Elites with the homing plasma launchers. Trying to keep back in one of the corridors and snipe the mudda farkars but they seems to take a fuck load of rounds to bring them down. Just read that you can jump onto the pelican and they wont follow you so might give that a try.

If you haven't already found it... over by the bay door (the big force field) behind the Pelican, there's a crate or two with power weapons, like the Sniper Rifle. It wasn't there when the Pelican first landed. If you can get there safely, and then back into cover, that will help you.

It must be pretty inconsistent. In the example I gave of it working, I only died 3-5 times.

However, on another bit on Legendary, where I was stuck for ages, I died 87 times (!) in one session alone (and probably another 30 or so across two others) until I finally cleared the section. I'm glad it didn't reset me there, as I was determined to beat it, while in the flying section, I was glad it rolled me back after a handful of deaths, as that position was probably completely untenable.

So, maybe the game makes up its mind as to how bad the situation is, as well as counting deaths, before it rolls you back.

You have to repeatedly die within the first few seconds of the checkpoint loading. It's there to get you out of impossible situations not to send you back if you're finding a bit too hard.

You have to repeatedly die within the first few seconds of the checkpoint loading. It's there to get you out of impossible situations not to send you back if you're finding a bit too hard.

really wish i'd known that when i got

stuck in the rocks in the underground section near the end

. i hit "restart mission" and then sat there with a crazed look on my face for a couple of minutes when i realised just how far back the start of the mission was. then, hilariously, i stormed through it taking minimal damage (even getting some achievement for 100 kills without dying or whatever it is) and generally had an awesome time. i guess it wasn't all bad!

enjoyed the whole game even more on my second solo playthrough. don't know much about multiplayer shooters but i haven't enjoyed a single player (or co-op) game this much since gears of war 2 (which, since apparently with that game clarification is required, i loved).

Yeah, that's the only thing that annoys me - I wish they'd broken the individual levels up further by the subtitled sections, where the hud fades out and the little caption comes up.

Not only would it help with crash restarts like that above, but it'd add replay value if you just felt like dipping into a particular setpeice for 15 minutes without having to go through the whole preceding hour of stuff to get to it.

You can join me for a few games whenever you like dude. Just fire me a message.

In fact, you dropped into my forge map while I was tinkering the other night. I tried to speak to you but presumed you either didn't have your headset connected or you couldn't hear me. By the time I'd saved and left to jump into some multiplayer with you, you appeared offline on my friends list.

Your shocking architecture offended me! No, I never heard you mate. It was late and I thought you were working on the map so I just buggered off (in the huff). I'm gonna be off from thurs to monday so I'll be on more then.

If you haven't already found it... over by the bay door (the big force field) behind the Pelican, there's a crate or two with power weapons, like the Sniper Rifle. It wasn't there when the Pelican first landed. If you can get there safely, and then back into cover, that will help you.

Yeah cheers mate I'd spotted them. About 15th attempt I managed to no scope an Elite by accident then got another with a nade and shotgun blast. Just needed a we break and then managed to get the rest.

One thing I resolutely hate about Halo multiplayer is the byzantine menu scheme.

I'm possibly growing too old or something but I cannot see how I just load up the game and find a public multiplayer game to join. I can only see options for friends, but very few of my friends are online right now. How the fuck do you just join a random game and let fly?

One thing I resolutely hate about Halo multiplayer is the byzantine menu scheme.

I'm possibly growing too old or something but I cannot see how I just load up the game and find a public multiplayer game to join. I can only see options for friends, but very few of my friends are online right now. How the fuck do you just join a random game and let fly?

Pressing right moves over to the friends list, so if that's all you can see press left. Then as SM47 said, you need to select Start Matchmaking or nothing will happen.

Select matchmaking and away you go! Byzantine, I know.

Hit 'Start Matchmaking'. And guess what? After that, the only menu thing you have to do is vote for whatever map you want. Halo does the rest of it for you. Very well, too.

Hold down both triggers for 12 seconds and rapidly press B and X.

Or, highlight 'matchmaking', select your preferred playlist and then select start. It'll go BOOP...BOOP...BOOP...BEEEEP! And you'll be away.

Thanks.

All idiot jokes aside, they really could do with a UX audit on them. They're very impressive but unless you know what you're looking for, a bit hard to understand initially.

Yeah, that's the only thing that annoys me - I wish they'd broken the individual levels up further by the subtitled sections, where the hud fades out and the little caption comes up.

Not only would it help with crash restarts like that above, but it'd add replay value if you just felt like dipping into a particular setpeice for 15 minutes without having to go through the whole preceding hour of stuff to get to it.

Each level has three points you can enter from, the start and two others. Each is around 20 minutes long...

Select matchmaking and away you go! Byzantine, I know.

Actually, it's Main Menu then Matchmaking, which says "take your party to Xbox Live" while showing you a set of people on the right who may or may not be in a party, whatever that is. Select Matchmaking and then it's suggesting playlists (again, not explaining what a playlist actually IS) and search restrictions and psych profiles, and still that list on the right, what is that exactly? What's selecting X players for a Matchmaking lobby? What does select network mean? Why when it goes there does it say Tadhg's Xbox Friends? Does that mean I can only "matchmake" in a "playlist" with my friends? Where's the "Everybody" network option.

Ok, go back.

So then do I select Start Matchmaking. Oh hang on, now that's grey. Why? Did I hit something earlier? Ok, retrace my steps (I think). Oh, wait, I see to be in a screen about me with Daily Challenges? And Service Record? and...

And you get the idea. I've worked a bit with user experience tests and the like as my job and this is exactly the sort of thing that really confuses, annoys and puts early users off. Once they get it they realise that it's massively powerful, but that initial experience is complicated. It could largely be solved by not throwing so much information at the user at once, and also on the front menu (where it's Campaign and Main Menu) have a "Join Game" or something link that skips all menus and just throws a player straight into a multiplayer game.

Rant over :)