IGNORED

Halo: Reach

Kryptonian

Funnily enough I noticed today that free-for-alls aren't as bad for quitters. Ok, obviously you don't have the problem of your team being sunk by losing a couple of members, that's not what I mean. I mean even the worst players who get maybe a couple of kills compared to the doen that everyone else may be on, even they stick around for the duration, far as I saw tonight.

I did also notice though that free-for-all games can be very tight and changeable right down to the wire, so perhaps they feel it's more worth their while to hang on for a few extra potential points.

Still sucks for the team games though.

starting to agree about the maps...

DMR tip: been crouching a lot when firing (when i can) and I'm almost sure your accuracy improves greatly (the bloom resets more quickly). I might have read this and i'm pretty sure it's not in my head. I was surprised by how quickly i was taking down people from largeish ranges earlier

Used the grenade launcher (pro pipe) on a banshee earlier which was working well then the guy landed and got out of the battered banshee and I fire one last grenade to finish him and it off. Cue 2 retards on my own team run at the banshee (to use it? It was more or less destroyed. Jack it not seeing the guy got out?) and ofc betrayed one of them. Booted. One betrayal. Thats fucked up.

Had it in more than a few games now. Sniped an idiot that was weaving in and out of my scope the other night and ofc got booted for one betrayal again. Really needs fixing, people are so quick to boot you for it its unreal.

Tip for Bcass if you dont like the map ;)

I really wanted to like the MP. I haven't had a gold sub for over a year now, and I was going to buy the cheap gold sub they were selling for about £23 the week it came out, but I think the MP is complete crap. I wasn't remotely tempted to resubscribe, having played the free gold weekend + a 48 hour trial. The observation about using parts of the campaign as MP maps being a critical flaw is spot-on. The numerous shit gametypes in Team Slayer don't help much either.

I think ive reached about the limit of my frustration with this game and quitters. Every single fucking game i played today, if it looked anyway like my team was winning, some cocksuckers would quit and leave us down a man or two and wed end up losing. Fuckign sick of it at this stage, im at the point where i dont even want to play it now. Literally every single game, if we didnt lose, wed be doing well until a bunch of dicks just leave and we end up losing anyway. Fucking raging my own balls off here :angry:

FFS play with people you know then. Whinetacular

So level 7 (exodus), when should it register that you have completed the mission start part? As I am doing it for the second time now so I can get the completed on legendary achievement and it doesnt seem to be working still. I am just at the part where you have completed the falcon section and are having to arm the three gun things.

Of course! It doesn't seem to make any difference anyway. My upload is on warning in the connection status screen, but I don't know if that's the problem as it seems most people have the same message.

My upload says 'excellent' in the menu screen, so it probably doesn't say 'warning' for nothing...

My upload says 'excellent' in the menu screen, so it probably doesn't say 'warning' for nothing...

I don't get why mine says warning though. I'm on 768kbps up, which I don't think is too bad.

What speed are you on to get excellent?

I'm on 768kb as well Jon (Virgin 20mb) and when I first went into the connections menu it said "Warning". However, since then it's been reading "Excellent" despite nothing having been changed :blink:

The assessment might be based on a combination of upload rate and latency/packet loss, but a quick check over at www.speedtest.net and www.pingtest.net should tell you if there are any problems in that regard. I've never had any problems with latency or packet loss on my connection, so I've no idea why the assessment changed - perhaps it does so if you've been selected as host a few times (which I know I have in Firefight) and it's got more information on which to base the assessment?

I don't get why mine says warning though. I'm on 768kbps up, which I don't think is too bad.

What speed are you on to get excellent?

Are you or anyone else in the house using the connection while you're playing?

Mine started as 'Warning' but then went to 'Excellent' a few days later.

Run some tests and post the results.

976246151.png 25300013.png

Mine originally said moderate when I first started playing, but changed to warning after a week or so. The other two things on that screen, ping/packet loss, or whatever, are both reading excellent.

This is what leads me to believe Bungie's netcode is pretty shoddy as it's not giving me a true reading.

Anyway, as I said before, the connection issues are pretty low down on my list of negatives and it's not really something that's affecting me all the time. It just feels a lot more prevalent than Halo 3 at the moment, which is pretty disappointing, but the maps/gametypes/playlists are the real problem for me.

I'm gonna keep playing to see if it grows on me, but I hope we get some DLC sooner rather than later.

701027049.png25302478.png

There you go. From comparing with yours it looks as though my ping could be better, although I don't think I should be having such bad games with the speeds I'm getting.

DMR tip: been crouching a lot when firing (when i can) and I'm almost sure your accuracy improves greatly (the bloom resets more quickly). I might have read this and i'm pretty sure it's not in my head. I was surprised by how quickly i was taking down people from largeish ranges earlier

Do you use hold to crouch or click to crouch? I really don't get on with games that use the click to perform some kind of movement action, it interferes with other movement you are trying to do with the stick

FFS play with people you know then. Whinetacular

WOW! What a great idea! HOLY SHIT that never even occurred to me for one single, solitary, fleeting moment! My god, thats incredible, lets see, ill just message all my friends, see if i can get 12 of them for a game of invasion, get them all into a party, every single time i just want a quick game of halo! Fantastic! Cause you know i always have a minimum of 12 people on my friends list playing reach at any given time, and they always all want to party up to play whatever gamemode i fancy.

WOW! What a great idea! HOLY SHIT that never even occurred to me for one single, solitary, fleeting moment! My god, thats incredible, lets see, ill just message all my friends, see if i can get 12 of them for a game of invasion, get them all into a party, every single time i just want a quick game of halo! Fantastic! Cause you know i always have a minimum of 12 people on my friends list playing reach at any given time, and they always all want to party up to play whatever gamemode i fancy.

Or you could just organise a game and have 12 of your mates turn up. Shzaaaam!

How many RPG rounds does a Wraith take to bring down? 3? Does it matter where you hit it? Stuck on the Pillar mission after the mongoose scarab run. I take down all the infantry with the DMR and then get two shots on the wraith and BOOM the fucker always gets me. Tried using hologram (wraith doesn't seem to fall for this) or the grav shield and still no joy. CUNTS!!!

I take it if I steam past the wraith and attempt to leg it for the waypoint on the HUD its just going to nail me when I'm running.

On Legendary.

On Legendary I think it's 3 or 4. Mind you I think on that I got past it by running up to it after firing a rocket or two, killing the guy on the gun, and doing the whole "hijack" think with a grenade. I know I had bugger all health afterwards.

Wish the campaign had a setting between 'normal' and heroic' though, I'm getting my arse kicked on Heroic.

Put it on Normal and stick the Thunderstorm skull on. Basically upgrades all the enemies to their next level. Grunts become Spec Ops grunt, Minor Elites become Majors, Spec Ops become Zealots...etc. Fighting the more difficult enemies more often but on Normal rules essentially.

So level 7 (exodus), when should it register that you have completed the mission start part? As I am doing it for the second time now so I can get the completed on legendary achievement and it doesnt seem to be working still. I am just at the part where you have completed the falcon section and are having to arm the three gun things.

Anyone? Dont want to waste my time continuing this bit if its still fucked.

Is your internet or XBL connection dropping during the levels? Apparently levels don't always register if your net drops out (on Heroic or Legendary I think).

Mine had 7/9 levels done when I completed it and I knew I'd had some dropouts. Replays fixed it.

edit: actually that may have just been the first weekly challenge. erm, make sure you play all the way until the next mission's start?

I am really really fed up of playing through the complete waste of time that is infection constantly whenever I try to play rumble pit.

I REALLY REALLY LOVE SLAYER. I can't stand infection. I get about 2/3 kills per game and it isn't any fun. I usually get 20+ in Slayer so it is a quick way to get my challenges and it is FUN where I don't have to worry about staying alive.

Every time infection comes up on the options people choose it which means it obviously has a following, why not give it a playlist of its own so that I can just get on with killing people??

Actually, no, even better.. give me a classic slayer playlist so that I can just play that. No abilities, no DMR starts, no infection, no odd ball, no headhunter.. just oldschool halo2 style slayer.

I have no issues with DMRs or Oddball and I love headhunter but it would be nice just to play slayer.

Daily challenges are proving oddly compulsive. A lot of them are pretty vanilla - kill X number of enemies in matchmaking/firefight/etc - but the ones where you have to complete a campaign mission with certain skulls activated are actually pretty satisfying, and go a long way to mixing up the experience. Yesterday I went through Exodus on Legendary with Mythic and Thunderstorm enabled. Today I'm trying - and failing - to do the same but with Tough Luck activated instead of Thunderstorm. It does feel subtly different in terms of how it's playing out (but no less thrilling). :)

Hopefully I'll hit Major today and get my big baldy EVA helmet. I know I'm sad, but I fucking love playing super spartan Barbie dress-up.

That's pretty much exactly how it went down last time I was really into online during Halo 2. There is a whole sub forum for Halo and there were always a barrel load of people playing, no quitters. It was awesome. Playing with/against randoms (unless you were taking your clan online!) was something you did as a proper last resort, and was 80% of the time exactly as bad as you though it would be. It's just the nature of the beast. It's like walking in the road and complaining that cars are beeping at you. There are tons of dicks out there, it isn't the game's fault!

Daily challenges are proving oddly compulsive. A lot of them are pretty vanilla - kill X number of enemies in matchmaking/firefight/etc - but the ones where you have to complete a campaign mission with certain skulls activated are actually pretty satisfying, and go a long way to mixing up the experience. Yesterday I went through Exodus on Legendary with Mythic and Thunderstorm enabled. Today I'm trying - and failing - to do the same but with Tough Luck activated instead of Thunderstorm. It does feel subtly different in terms of how it's playing out (but no less thrilling). :)

Same here!

I did the same yesterday but on the Winter Contingency level - the bit nearish the start with 5-6 Elites slowed me down and I went through a bunch of needlers & plasma pistols but after that it wasn't too bad.

+1 here for spartan dress up also :D

How many RPG rounds does a Wraith take to bring down? 3? Does it matter where you hit it? Stuck on the Pillar mission after the mongoose scarab run. I take down all the infantry with the DMR and then get two shots on the wraith and BOOM the fucker always gets me. Tried using hologram (wraith doesn't seem to fall for this) or the grav shield and still no joy. CUNTS!!!

I take it if I steam past the wraith and attempt to leg it for the waypoint on the HUD its just going to nail me when I'm running.

On Legendary.

don't bother with rockets for the wraiths: snipe at the gunner with a headshot weapon from cover until you see him die, then hit the wraith with an overcharged plasma pistol round - this should stun it aned allow you to rush in and board it to punch it to pieces.

was going to post just this. get rid of the gunner (a few dmr rounds) and then sprint to board it

Do you use hold to crouch or click to crouch? I really don't get on with games that use the click to perform some kind of movement action, it interferes with other movement you are trying to do with the stick

i use hold. can get on with the click method at all

Is your internet or XBL connection dropping during the levels? Apparently levels don't always register if your net drops out (on Heroic or Legendary I think).

Mine had 7/9 levels done when I completed it and I knew I'd had some dropouts. Replays fixed it.

edit: actually that may have just been the first weekly challenge. erm, make sure you play all the way until the next mission's start?

I dont think so. However I just completed exodus again and at the end it unlocked them all, thank f*ck!