IGNORED

Halo: Reach

Kryptonian

SRSLY, how fucking good this game look?

The scratches on the Spartan models....

Personally couldn't care less about scratches on the Spartan models. I mean, really. However, if they get in running at a solid 60fps I would most definitely be interested.

Personally couldn't care less about scratches on the Spartan models. I mean, really. However, if they get in running at a solid 60fps I would most definitely be interested.

You won't be interested then, as I doubt very much it'll be running 60FPS.

So anyway, back to how great the game looks...

I'll be a solid 30fps for sure.

Eurogamer's Digital Foundy blog dig a geeky analysis of the released footage, which seemed to confirm 30fps. I guess it is possible that the final game will be 60fps, just extremely unlikely.

60fps is obviously better, but Halo's frame rate is fine. As long as you never go from a 60fps game (i.e. MW2) to Halo in the same session. Halo looks like a weird slide show if you do that.

Reading the Bungie weekly update I'm more convinced than ever that Invasion is set to be a Rush-style game-type, where sections of the map open up as the attackers (in this case the Elites) progress. Spartans are tasked with defending generators (which I assume are Invasion's equivalent of Rush's M-com stations). Obviously once a generator is destroyed the next section of the map opens up. Bungie haven't said too much about Overlook -

Reach_MPBeta_Overlook01.jpg

- but it certainly looks expansive enough to accommodate some kind of Rush-style dynamic (I'm pretty sure that satellite dish on the horizon isn't just for show).

No doubt my hypothesising will come back to bite me, but I hope I'm on the money here. Rush is crazy fun, so I've no qualms at all about Bungie ripping off the formula.

- but it certainly looks expansive enough to accommodate some kind of Rush-style dynamic (I'm pretty sure that satellite dish on the horizon isn't just for show).

I dunno about that, there was a similar situation with a H3 map (Standoff?) where early screenshots showed a pretty cool looking, massive satellite dish, very detailed, which turned out not to be part of the map and purely was just for show in the background outside of the playable area.

I'd like to be proved wrong though.

The dish could be part of the level, I remember there's another shot floating about which looks like it is on the area on the other side of the dish a lot nearer to it. Then again that could be from the campaign,

and the multiplayer shot above could be from a walled-off version of the map for MP specifically.

Anyway, the level is clearly big anyway, wether it extends to the dish or not. Somebody on GAF has another shot froma slightly different angle, and he's highlighted three disctinct areas of the map which could easily translate to three zones to be controlled or taken over in a push to the end of the level.

Free armour in Reach or something if you play Halo 2 online on the 14th April (last day of the original Xbox Live service).

I think you have to play a game against the Bungie guys in order to get the armour:

As thanks for throwing down, we’re committed to granting everyone who plays with us on the 14th a piece of visual flair for use in Halo: Reach multiplayer as a symbol of our gratitude. We’ll also be collecting a plethora of relevant stats and gifting plenty of other sweet prizes for players who take the time to throw down with us.

I might be reading it wrong, but I took "us" to mean that you actually have to end up in a lobby with the Bungie crew. I'm guessing the odds of that happening are pretty negligable.

I dunno about that, there was a similar situation with a H3 map (Standoff?) where early screenshots showed a pretty cool looking, massive satellite dish, very detailed, which turned out not to be part of the map and purely was just for show in the background outside of the playable area.

I'd like to be proved wrong though.

Yeah, Standoff. The thing is though Bungie are adopting a different approach to multiplayer maps this time around. There's less of a demarkation between campaign and multiplayer spaces. Multiplayer maps are being designed and built with a view to incorporating them in to the campaign. It's a similar approach to what was done in ODST, where the Firefight maps were all utilised as campaign spaces.

Smitty, is this the image you're alluding to?

ReachCampaign_m10_Env03.jpg

If so, good spot. It definitely incorporates part of the Overlook map, and look at the road panning round to the left - I'm guessing if you stay on it you'll eventually arrive at the satellite dish.

Has a Firefight 2.0 mode been confirmed for Reach, with public games so you can play with randoms?

There's been no word on Firefight as yet. I imagine it'll be in Reach, but I hope they give it a serious overhaul. It got old very quickly and most of the skulls added fuck all to the experience. It boggles my mind that somebody thought meleeing to get your health back would be a fun gameplay mechanic. :blink:

from this weeks update:

All good things come to an end and Halo 2’s days are now numbered. If you haven’t yet heard, Xbox LIVE support for Xbox Originals will be a thing of the past on April 15th, 2010. Sad times, but we’re planning on sending our baby out with a bang.

And we want you to be there for the explosive finale.

On the eve of Halo 2’s sunset, April 14th, Bungie will be heading back into Halo 2 in full force for one last Humpday against our beloved, BXR-abusing community. And we fully expect to get our asses royally kicked by the robotic techno-wunderkinds who have made Halo 2 their online home these last five years.

If you’ve yet to come to grips with a world without Halo 2 over Xbox LIVE, make sure you get out all of your frustrations by collectively teabagging our flailing dead corpses. We won’t even demand that you to rinse out your sweaty codpieces first.

As thanks for throwing down, we’re committed to granting everyone who plays with us on the 14th a piece of visual flair for use in Halo: Reach multiplayer as a symbol of our gratitude. We’ll also be collecting a plethora of relevant stats and gifting plenty of other sweet prizes for players who take the time to throw down with us.

So, see you there (be gentle), and if it’s been a while since you’ve played Halo 2, or you’ve recently switched consoles or gamertags, make sure you fire up Halo 2 before you’re ready to play so you can re-download the title updates and free map packs you need to make the most of it. We’re hearing the full process takes a while and we wouldn’t want you stuck downloading while the rest of us are having fun.

There's been no word on Firefight as yet. I imagine it'll be in Reach, but I hope they give it serious overhaul. It got old very quickly and most of the skulls added fuck all to the experience. It boggles my mind that somebody thought meleeing to get your health back would be a fun gameplay mechanic. :blink:

yeah i always thought the skulls were a bit pants (except grunt birthday skull, of course)

Oh yeah, grunt's birthday for life, yo. Just so we're clear I absolutely LOVE the skulls in campaign, because I can tailor the experience to suit me. Switching on the likes of Iron, Mythic, Thunderstorm and Catch makes for a fantastically brutal and compelling experience, and I think Bungie should be applauded for allowing the level of customisation they do. Firefight though was a bit shit. The bones of a really good co-operative experience are there, but the likes of Black Eye, Famine and Tilt added nothing to the equation and served only to piss me off. Having rinsed the achievements I've no desire to go back to it.

Add me pls. GT is "Soi".
Can I be added to RLLMUK friendlist please

Super Lovecraft

Oh, i'll be getting a gold sub by then. Sign me up, please.
Add footle please!
Sign me up chap.
Count me in if there's still room - Dapple 101.

Ta

Add me too please, GT is 'Atarian'.

All added, along with "Mega Drive II" whoever that is.

There are 42 spaces left. Anyone else want adding either let me know here or send a friend invite. BTW there's some people who haven't accepted the friend request. If They're still there a couple of weeks before the beta I'll have to take you off.

Has anyone else read that Halo 2 interview with Bungie on Eurogamer. God it makes me angry. After a long description of the tortuous development and how they completely over-reached and then had to rush a hacked version together in under a year, they all congratulate themselves on a job well done and imply people didn't like the single player because the ending was abrupt and the PR misled people into thinking it was a 'war movie'.

Jesus fucking christ! The multiplayer was great - well done - but stop with the fucking self-serving bollocks about how great the single player was you arrogant dick heads. It plays like something cobbled together in a panic and not liking the Arbiter levels does not make a you a shallow thrill seaker who glosses over the deep narative arc.

Dear Bungie, Halo 2 single player was a dissapointment in every way imaginable and the press let you off. Some people would be happy with a turd in an envelope if the envelope was addressed 'halo 2'. Please either face the music or shut up.