Left 4 Dead 2

giant_frying_pan

And if you don't want him to do it, Simmy, I'll do it when I get home. :lol:

The demo is good stuff. The increased level of gore is actually pretty overwhelming - can see why it's banned in Australia! I love the music and the setting, and it all looks great (except for the Spitter acid which looks like a leftover from a Playstation platformer, and a few of the ground textures in the park area were quite poor). The new infected do their job well and the increased options and range of tactics is very nice, although it has lost the purity/simplicity of Left 4 Dead in favour of the increased options.

This does make some of it a bit haphazard - the random placement of single weapons tends to mean, at this point, that the whole team picks up the new weapon, or at least that a few of them do. Especially as it might be significantly better than whatever tier 1 weapon you're carrying. You didn't really get that with the tables of three weapons, as people could pick what they wanted/needed instead of just going 'ooh! new and shiny!'. A lot less of the defined roles that people adopted in L4D1. BUT I do really like some of these new weapons. The magnum handgun is brilliant.

What's the bile bomb for? Besides making lots of Zombies run in and attack you? I assume it's for throwing at a tank, but woe betide if you miss?

From what I saw at the eurogamer expo, the bile bomb causes the undead to attack each other. If you miss it didn't affect you at all and I didn't see it splashing onto other players, but this could have been disabled or something in the floor show version.

Played this through last night once before bed and I was really impressed with it. I'm a big fan of the new ways zombies fall apart when you shoot them and the new special infected add alot more variety to the game. I didn't really get to see the charger though. Maybe tonight!

The charger is fairly terrifying. I got caught by his charges out of nowhere once or twice. One of my friends managed to dodge his charge and he ran into a wall, which was pretty funny!

Yeah the charger can be really scary. I was walking down a narrow alleyway and suddenly appeared right around the corner and ran at me. There was fuck all I could do. The sight of him running straight for you really adds an element of panic even a tank can't offer.

From what I saw at the eurogamer expo, the bile bomb causes the undead to attack each other. If you miss it didn't affect you at all and I didn't see it splashing onto other players, but this could have been disabled or something in the floor show version.

Hmm, I just threw it at the ground when there were no zombies about and they all came piling out after us.

Hmm, I just threw it at the ground when there were no zombies about and they all came piling out after us.

Biled zombies are priority targets but if you hit the ground with it (or all the biled zombies die) then the infected will go run at the ground where the goop is and flail about wildly.

Also, best place to get the Charger is the beginning of the park. I jumped down the ledge and he immediately charged from my left, I dodged and he flew into the toilet area, never to be seen again.

Rumour: Demo files name two DLC packs.

A number of dirt-digging zombophiles have unearthed a pair of suggestive errors buried within the code for the Left 4 Dead 2 PC demo. These error messages are meant to appear after a player has been kicked from an online multiplayer match after failing to load a DLC map that the match host has selected for play. These disabled messages seem to indicate the names of what many now believe to be two DLC releases planned for the future: The "Miracle Pack" and the "Apocalyptic Pack."

Frankly, we think the game's already got its fair share of the Apocalypse, not to mention plenty of miracles, which is the only way we can explain how four people can survive continuous encounters with a city's worth of the walking dead. Still, we've contacted Valve to see if these two messages are a sign of more disastrous -- or miraculous -- things to come.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/29/rumor-le...-two-dlc-packs/

I read somewhere on the internet (so obviously this is to be taken with a big pinch of 'somewhere on the internet' salt) that someone had found sound files in the demo of the original four survivors. Maybe a cameo in the full game?

Is there a (relatively) massive delay for anyone else between clicking the mouse and the gun going off? Really slows down the feel of the game. I mean, we're talking a split-second thing here, but still enough to change the experience significantly. There's also a fair gap between the gun going off and the bullets hitting their target which again detracts from the feel. Is anyone else experiencing this? It's not that my machine can't run it, I'm not getting any graphical lag, my frame rate's fine, I have internet up the wazoo (at university, I'm getting 70Mb/s DL, 30Mb/s UL and 5ms ping). Disturbing if it does exist and is not fixed for the release.

The gameplay vids I saw of L4D2 were miles ahead of the first in quality - I went back to the original and played it, and the second - even on vid - is smoother. Better animations, looks crisper, all round a far nicer experience.

Those crazy types who said they shouldn't knock out a sequel so soon are mental. Look how much they've improved it!

EA Sports says hello.

Had a good blast of this today with some co workers. It's absolutely awesome. Visually it's a far bigger leap than I thought it would be, really lovely in places. All the weapons feel great and the new zombies, especially the Charger and gameplay additions cause all sorts of problems!

All in all, well done again Valve. Looking forward to the full release!

Y'know, twatting zombies around the head with a frying pan in a Reeves and Mortimer style is never going to get old.

I do hope the ice skating animations get fixed, though - some of the zombies look like extras from Breakdance: The Movie.

The first time I pulled it off against an incoming hunter was a sweet, sweet moment indeed :)

I'm certain the animations are just absent from the demo as they're likely unfinished.