Left 4 Dead 2

giant_frying_pan

This game feels a lot more like a console game than a PC one, it's just all the little bits like the gun taking up shitloads of onscreen space, the slightly slowed pace, the UI etc... and it doesn't help it still has the fucking shocking match making system in place. It took me about 15min to find a lobby were the leader wasn't afk, or a server wasn't REALLY laggy. Also they seem to have hidden make your own lobby under the friends only section. Don't like the daylight levels, sort of lost the mood.

Visuals are nice, still need more convincing. Hopefully VS. will do it justice.

Y'know, twatting zombies around the head with a frying pan in a Reeves and Mortimer style is never going to get old.

I do hope the ice skating animations get fixed, though - some of the zombies look like extras from Breakdance: The Movie.

I haven't seen any ice skating, when does that happen for you?

The ice skating glitch happened once for me, a female zombie skated towards me out of a doorway earlier. It was actually fairly scary. Maybe thats next in the zombie cycle? First shuffling, then running, now skating. Brrr.

Also, I think I blew away Flea from the Chili Peppers. There was nothing left of his face, so I'll never be sure.

I love the daylight. The sun slanting down between the narrow streets. I think it looks lovely. Melee weapons are excellent too. Slicing up zombies with the machete is incredibly satisfying.

X-Play's Abbie Heppe explains there are a few major differences. One, dead players will stay dead unless revived with a defibrillator -- keep in mind that each player can carry a defibrillator or a med kit, not both. Second, zombies must be killed with headshots, though it's hard to tell how strict this rule is in the video. Third, players have to be much closer to items in order to pick them up. Finally, there are many, many more witches.

Video Demo of Realism Mode. (Hard Rain level)

Realism Mode Interview.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/10/29/video-le...s-realism-mode/

:)

I haven't seen any ice skating, when does that happen for you?

It happens usually when a zombie has just climbed down from something and starts charging, but also occasionally after a melee attack or when it becomes aware of you after shuffling or standing around. Like giant frying pan said, it is probably just a case of certain animations being unfinished before the full release.

The zombies are quite comical when it comes to climbing things. I've noticed them climbing over cars and stuff for absolutely no reason. It reminds me of that butter advert about the guy jumping his wall every day.

They do seem to do a lot of that. Maybe it's intentional, their tiny half-spilling-out zombie brains unable to work out how to go round something.

I love the new weapons in this, but it's a bit hard to tell what the benefits of each is. I suppose you just need to get a feel for it. Is there any non-cosmetic difference in the melee weapons? Not that their differently delicious sound effects are worthless!

Are there zero ammo piles in the demo, apart from in the safe house?

That riot police armour is pretty amazing stuff!

There are some ammo piles around.

As to melee weapons, things like the guitar and machete seem particularly effective to me - can scythe through huge groups with them.

Also, I tried out the explosive rounds by enabling sv_cheats 1 and entering upgrade_add EXPLOSIVE_AMMO. They are ridiculously gory, they shred the skin off any infected they hit.

Biled zombies are priority targets but if you hit the ground with it (or all the biled zombies die) then the infected will go run at the ground where the goop is and flail about wildly.

Also, best place to get the Charger is the beginning of the park. I jumped down the ledge and he immediately charged from my left, I dodged and he flew into the toilet area, never to be seen again.

Ha, you just know he was furiously running from left to right trying to work out how to get round a corner.

I must say I don't really like the blue trail that follows the charger around (it's faint, but its there). It looks a bit too gamey. The spitter doesn't seem to do much in reality either - a blob of goo appears somewhere and you wait for it to dissolve. She hasn't really had the effect of splitting us all up yet. Still, when one comes around the corner at you, it shits you up big time.

I think the Hunters were better without motion blur (then again, I think everything's better without motion blur- if something's going too fast for my eyes to process, then it'll be going too fast for my eyes to process it and I'll make my own damn motion blur thank you very much). I do like how pipe-bombed infected actually explode and scatter now rather than disintegrating in a vague cloud of red vapour, much more fun to watch.

I had a play round with the incendiary and explosive ammo- the incendiary was very, very useful but the explosive didn't seem to do too much (although I was playing on easy/ normal so I guess normal bullets are just as effective). There was an issue with the texture for the grenade launcher (possibly it just hasn't ben added yet), so it was pink and black striped and fired, in stead of a grenade, ERROR in big pink capitals which flew off and exploded. The best thing was that when I got it Coach said 'Ooh, this looks dangerous' ^_^

I expect it will be difficult to balance spitters- either they won't do enough damage and so a quick dash over the acid won't be all that damaging and would probably be worth it for the time you'd lose otherwise, or they'll be so damaging that you'll get spat out of nowhere and suddenly you're incap'ed. I initially didn't like how the CC weapons displaced the pistols, but the pistols are a fair bit less accurate now, I think, so other than the magnum they're not great, and you can use the machete to literally hack your way through crowds of infected.

I like the effort they've put into all the infected skins for the battle damage, however it does seem to be a case of 'clean zombie' immediately becomes 'zombie which has been shot once' when it's hit without any sort of turnover animation or regard to where it's been hit, other than the obvious hole it's got in it. Impressed by the fact that they've all got organs and skeletons in.

Ffs it's 2009 and the game's shooting mechanics are on par with Wolvenstein 3D from 1969.

Get back in your cuddle machine, lunatic. The source engine has perhaps the best feedback of any engine I can think of, going right back through GoldSrc and the original Quake engine, which the Source engine stemmed from.

After playing through Killzone 2 the shooting mechanics in Left 4 Dead seem really dated and simple. Sorry. There's almost no recoil, no weight, no kickback. There's nothing. You're shooting stuff and the guns stay almost completely still.

After playing through Killzone 2 the shooting mechanics in Left 4 Dead seem really dated and simple. Sorry. There's almost no recoil, no weight, no kickback. There's nothing. You're shooting stuff and the guns stay almost completely still.

I'll take the gunplay of either Left 4 Dead game over Killzone 2 anyday.

The gun physics, recoil, feeling is so 1999. There is no weight to the shooting at all. Totally put me off playing and I turned the game off after 10 minutes.

With this gizmo, it'll be weightier than 99% of all other FPSs out there.

After playing the left 4 dead 2 demo I was left utterly cold and disgusted, as I really disagree with the direction that valve have taken the incidental sound effects in. Compared to such a shining beacon of auditory delight as gears of war 2 it pales into insignificance. I was so outraged that I ripped out the motherboard of my PC, vomited onto it and sent Valve the bill, before posting my completely ludicrous and hilariously irellevent opinions on an internet messageboard.