Microsoft Kinect

Asura

Strange, but I just posted that this is Microsoft's new thing - an advanced eyetoy controller that converts 3D movement to gameplay controls. They showed concepts of a racing game with an invisible wheel, or a variety of other ideas - such as the xbox signing you in automatically using facial recognition.

EDIT: Sorry, said strange because I was having trouble with the forum and it didn't post correctly.

So, when I'm wanking in my bedroom, this thing is going to catch me at it and make my Avatar do the same thing?? Great.. I have problems enough stopping the Mr's catching me cracking one out to some dodgy redtube action...all I need will be for a cup of tea to be left on the side...

It makes the Wii look distinctly old hat.

Really? Difficult to tell from a series of mockups and a couple of live demos, especially when one of them clearly didn't work properly. This looks a long way off. And the lack of feedback is obviously a rubbish side effect of having no controller.

I mean, it looked impressive, and that "concept" video was some crazy scifi shit. But for real game stuff I wonder how useful it will be. The thing about the wiimote/nunchuck is that it combines motion sensing with the precision of a traditional controller with buttons and analogue sticks and the accurate pointer as well. This doesn't seem to have that.

I think it will be an excellent addition to traditional gaming. Having characters make eye contact in FPSes would be great, and you could do some of that head tracking pseudo-3D stuff.

That Milo stuff is rubbish though. It's all well an good to have a new interaction method, but unless Lionhead have wizards on staff, I don't see how they could have broken through the Turing test. The main thing Milo will be saying is "I'm sorry I don't understand what that means".

The reason the Wii works as a wheel or golf club or sword is because it is actually like holding one of those items. Pretending to hold an invisible item is not 'removing barriers', if anything it is putting them back up again. Likewise the minority report stuff is no better or accurate than the pointer.

The wii was (or is) succesfull because the controller and the software differentiated itself from the competition and that is what MS have to do rather than just copying the same games and ideas which I suppose they at least attempted with Mylo even if it is creepy as fuck.

Nope. The Wiimote is better because you hold it and it rumbles.

Nothing to stop MS releasing a small wireless peripheral pad that attaches to the back of the hand and re-creates the sensation of rumble.

Something for the next console perhaps, but as an idea that can be implemented right now, hell, consider me sold.

If Nintendo announce a HD Wii, with voice and facial recognition I'll concede that point.

If all they have is the MotionPlus though...

Which is enough for the games.

I agree with Phresh. It looks mighty impressive...except for the games. Or are we really getting excited by a bunch of WiiSports clone demos and Molyeux's pedo simulator?

That is of course in the case if Microsoft wants to launch it this year.

Which is enough for the games.

I agree with Phresh. It looks mighty impressive...except for the games. Or are we really getting excited by a bunch of WiiSports clone demos and Molyeux's pedo simulator?

That is of course in the case if Microsoft wants to launch it this year.

Come on, if MS show off a Wii Sports and Wii Fit combination product, people will be far more interested. Wait until someone busts out a fitness trainer that motion tracks you and responds to voice commands and MS will sell a tonne of them.

The car racing stuff was slightly stupid but the throwing paint stuff was impressive for a tech demo. I cannot wait to see developers trying some new stuff with it. :o

The reason the Wii works as a wheel or golf club or sword is because it is actually like holding one of those items. Pretending to hold an invisible item is not 'removing barriers', if anything it is putting them back up again. Likewise the minority report stuff is no better or accurate than the pointer.

The wii was (or is) succesfull because the controller and the software differentiated itself from the competition and that is what MS have to do rather than just copying the same games and ideas which I suppose they at least attempted with Mylo even if it is creepy as fuck.

See the thing is - if the tech works. You could actually hold for example a broom stick / anything in your hand for the feedback but it would be the item in the game - don't you see!

Yeah, I think it's pretty awesome really. Not for me but I was genuinely impressed by the paint throwing and creativity on display.

That presenting Kudo guy was a total dick though, when it started spazzing at the start out he just kept saying how good it was and tried to mimic the bug on-screen to hide the fact :o Apart from that, I thought the accuracy looked pretty amaaaze and I didn't see any more glitches in all of those demos really. Good shit.

See the thing is - if the tech works. You could actually hold for example a broom stick / anything in your hand for the feedback but it would be the item in the game - don't you see!

What about braking, drifting, accellerating, using a blue shell, pausing the game?

Shamelessly reposted from the Microsoft Conference thread.

Imagine a tech demo of Natal - Blade Runner's Voicom test. Have an AI character ask you questions about yourself and have the camera analyse your tone of voice and facial expression to determine whether you're deemed to be a replicant or not. It'd be kind of ironic. ; )

A new Westwood really needs to get hold of the licence.

Oh Christ.

From the Seattle Times:

Prices and timing weren't available, but it won't be available until 2010 at the earliest and will probably cost around $200. Microsoft has already given game developers tools to start building games that uses the device.

So in other words: AFTER Nintendo releases MotionPlus along with WiiSports Resort and AFTER WiiFit Plus.

And it's the price of one basic 360.

FAIL.