Microsoft Kinect

Asura

Well I finally saw them in operation at the Eurogamer Expo yesterday (and the PS Move also).

It pretty much confirmed my negative expectations of the thing. Clearly laggy a lot of the time, simplistic games of the type that have been seen to death on the Wii or the EyeToy already, and the overall experience looked as bland as a Ron Howard movie. You'll buy it, play it all of once for a couple of hours and then hock it on eBay.

Move was much the same.

Waggle is so totally over.

Interesting that the kinect booth was split in half. The terrible Microsoft games with their lag and awkward menu navigation on one side and the brilliant Dance Central on the other. I don't know how Microsoft have the balls to put out Adventures, Sports and Joyride. Utterly terrible games. It was worth playing them just to play with the skeletal tracking system before the events start.

Excellent technology combine with terrible software. (Dance Central excluded of course).

Garnett describing Child of Eden kinect on weekend confirmed has me very excited. All of the interesting stuff is too far away though.

Interesting that the kinect booth was split in half. The terrible Microsoft games with their lag and awkward menu navigation on one side and the brilliant Dance Central on the other. I don't know how Microsoft have the balls to put out Adventures, Sports and Joyride. Utterly terrible games. It was worth playing them just to play with the skeletal tracking system before the events start.

Excellent technology combine with terrible software. (Dance Central excluded of course).

Garnett describing Child of Eden kinect on weekend confirmed has me very excited. All of the interesting stuff is too far away though.

Y'know, I didn't even think Dance Central was all that.

I hope it'll result in a tidal wave of disapprovement resulting in the Microsoft devs getting back on the double to craft the space marine games we, the Xbox 360 core user base, long for.

Microsoft devs don't make games, it's why the Xbox is so successful.

saw a sign in Game, said they were getting ONE kinect per pre-order, with no extra stock before Feb 11th

anyone else heard this?

GAME are getting desperate :facepalm: Its all bullshit to sell you preorders, probably the store manager trying to sell as many as possible for a bonus, even the companies head office didnt know of any supply shortage and HMV said that there will be plenty in their stores :lol:

Did anyone see that episode of Stephen Hawking’s Universe about time travel? One of the theoretical time machines proposed was a mega fast train which would loop around the world several times a second at close to the speed of light. As the train approaches the speed of light, but never quite hitting that velocity because the laws of the universe would not allow that to happen, time itself slows down compared to what is happening outside of the vehicle. Kinect also works in a different timescale, just like that theoretical train, as in much slower than the rest of the world around it. This is a rather convoluted and awkward way of me saying, ‘Oh my Christ! Have you seen how laggy this thing is?’

Watching people try to negotiate the Total Wipeout style level of Kinect Adventures was amusing. One guy even gave the thing evils, a frown and threw this pose as the game failed to register his gestures time and time again:

ant-eater1.jpg

Also, selecting the menu is like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJlIKNqq7VA&feature=related

Kinect Sports held up just as well. I didn't get to sample Joyride as I was distracted by a small child and his mother on stage performing Kanye West's Gold Digger whilst being showered with fake bank notes at the Def Jam Rapstar booth, and that was too fucking funny to miss out on.

Overall I give it five stars, out of a hundred, and I advise you all to:

Why can’t Rare, a first-party developer with surely all the technical support at its disposal from the creators and designers of the hardware itself, minimize this lag? If it’s a software issue then Microsoft , a software company that should be capable of creating the best programming solutions for hardware they own, can’t find a common fix for the response problems plaguing the device. Or maybe they do have it working perfectly and Rare are too shit/lazy to make it work in their games, perhaps they didn‘t get the memo. If, however, it’s an inherent trait or limitation of the hardware itself then there is no mystery as to why these games lag and often don’t respond, as no software solution is ever going to completely fix that.

I have only experienced Sports and Adventures, on both the lag causes a massive disconnect between what actions you are performing and the feedback you are receiving on screen; it’s really, really jarring. I wasn’t expecting Minority Report level precision, but I was hoping it would work most of the time without costing me control of the game at any point.

Maybe they have that perfect software solution up their sleeves that makes it super responsive ready for launch or at least the second wave of games. Maybe the hardware is perfectly up to the task but the programmers so far aren’t. Or maybe Nintendo was really wise to pass this up when they first saw it because the tech doesn‘t actually work as intended.

I saw Dance Central and Just Dance 2 yesterday. Just Dance 2 was better.

Both of these games are fun because dancing is fun. You don't need Kinect or a Wii to enjoy dancing. Just turn up music.

I played Joyride yesterday. Apart from the novelty of reaching out and grabbing a power up to use it - it was pretty awful to control and only one thing echoed though my mind whilst playing it. Would be a million times better on a controller.

Kinect is a failure in my mind. The guy overseeing it had to come and tell us 'how to do it properly'. 'No hold your hands like this. 'Turn like this'. It should just fucking work. 'Sorry Gran it's not working because you're doing it wrong. It's not because this Kinect thing is fucking useless. Honestly!'.

The bullshit marketing - the obviously bonus enchanced preorder hard sell in every videogame store you walk into. The fact that it's not even on par with it's rivals. The overinflated price. This piece of shite is eroding even my enthusiasm for all things Xbox. This is going to come back a bite Microsoft on the arse, believe me. Sega 32X style.

You Tube isn't very good at converting MP4 but here's a video of Dance Central that I took at Friday's Eurogamer Expo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dzdx0hwk260

It's the only game on the device that looks remotely fun.

I couldn't see the point of the Kinect Sports which looked pretty but that was it. Even Kinect Joyride. Bowling/ Driving with nothing remotely tangiable in your hand? It's just wrong!

To think Forza 4 is going to be on Kinect also if GAME are to be believed :(

http://www.game.co.uk/Xbox360/Racing/Car/~r349820/Forza-4-Kinect/

So I've paid hardly any attention to the Kinect but how does this differ in concept to Sony's Eyetoy?

Kinect has two cameras, so it can do depth perception. It's also using infra-red, so it can work in the dark etc.

I haven't paid too much attention to EyeToy 2. I'm guessing that does depth perception using the size of the marker as an indicator of proximity.

Kinect is do far away from Move that it can't be described using purr current understanding of physics. Stephen Hawking is on the case right now.

Yeah, I wonder why Stephen Hawking might hate Kinect..

That's what the fanboys said about the Wii.

Four years ago.

I'm not holding my breath.

In what sense? The Wiimote works fine as a pointing device and under limited circumstances as a motion sensing device. Being a good developer for the system means knowing when to accept the system's limitations.

Had a go on this at Eurogamer on Friday.

Dancing Game: You copy the moves shown - made good by hot train to game girls grooving along with me. Didn't see how my movement actually made any difference but lots of fun and we got a cheer from the crowd.

Enquired and girls don't come with the game so pre-order cancelled and went to play Rockband 3 with ladies instead.

Driving avatar game: Utter fail - the guy in front of me took five fucking minutes just to select "next" after his go - the blue hand icon would not go where he wanted it to. It's not Mario Kart.

Tubing game: Seemed to have no correlation between our movements (you have two of you jumping about, trying to work together) - half way through young lady and I got bored so went for a coffee.

Perhaps the busy show floor messed the thing up but it was hilariously bad from what I played. PS3 one was no better mind. "Hold arms out and look like a twat for half an hour while we try and calibrate your...no try again" - again I think the show environment did these no favours.

I saw Dance Central and Just Dance 2 yesterday. Just Dance 2 was better.

Both of these games are fun because dancing is fun. You don't need Kinect or a Wii to enjoy dancing. Just turn up music.

I played Joyride yesterday. Apart from the novelty of reaching out and grabbing a power up to use it - it was pretty awful to control and only one thing echoed though my mind whilst playing it. Would be a million times better on a controller.

Kinect is a failure in my mind. The guy overseeing it had to come and tell us 'how to do it properly'. 'No hold your hands like this. 'Turn like this'. It should just fucking work. 'Sorry Gran it's not working because you're doing it wrong. It's not because this Kinect thing is fucking useless. Honestly!'.

The bullshit marketing - the obviously bonus enchanced preorder hard sell in every videogame store you walk into. The fact that it's not even on par with it's rivals. The overinflated price. This piece of shite is eroding even my enthusiasm for all things Xbox. This is going to come back a bite Microsoft on the arse, believe me. Sega 32X style.

How can just shakeing a wii mote be better than something that is learning you to dance and tracks your full body?. Ive seen alot of kinect hate and im one of them but to say just dance is better than dace central is bordering on nutty. :rolleyes:

I really do see it being the 32X for this generation. The in store "only pre-orders will be met!!!!!" crap is unbelievable and shows that the thing is already dying before its even released. Nobody I know apart from real 360 fanboys is remotely interested and the price is just fucking daft.