Microsoft Kinect

Asura

See with that kinectimals one - it's obviously aimed at kids and they're going to be literally pushing their noses against the screen and trying to "pet" the thing as close as possible - if these 2-4 metre distance requirements are right how's that going to work ?

See with that kinectimals one - it's obviously aimed at kids and they're going to be literally pushing their noses against the screen and trying to "pet" the thing as close as possible - if these 2-4 metre distance requirements are right how's that going to work ?

I loaded the Move demo of eyepet and, although it clearly wasn't for me or my kids who are beyond all that, what was nice about it was that it was all set up to be 'played' on the floor right in front of the TV screen. I suspect lttle kids would really enjoy eyepet because its all so cosey and in yor face. Kinect pushing them back 10 feet but then wanting them to cosey up to a pet on screen surely won't work nearly so well.

Question about this and Move - are all the games also compatible with the normal controllers? Because if so that bugs the hell out of me (like the Move boxes say "Move Compatible" not "For use with Move ONLY").

If the games can be played with normal controls, and played just as well - then what is the point. Whereas the Wii IS the controller. I'm still interested of course but it just doesn't hold right with me.

The commercials are actually good for what it wants to do. Tapping into the same Wii-vibe is a lot more likable than sunglasses-guy.

Hopefully for Microsoft, their target audience won't already be tired of them. Apart from that this is probably the first correct step in promoting the thing.

I loaded the Move demo of eyepet and, although it clearly wasn't for me or my kids who are beyond all that, what was nice about it was that it was all set up to be 'played' on the floor right in front of the TV screen. I suspect lttle kids would really enjoy eyepet because its all so cosey and in yor face. Kinect pushing them back 10 feet but then wanting them to cosey up to a pet on screen surely won't work nearly so well.

Eyepet is rubbish but. We had to re-arrange our room and turn all the lights up just to get it to work, and then balance the camera on a pile of books to get it at the right level. I'm worried that Kinect has the same kind of requirements.

Question about this and Move - are all the games also compatible with the normal controllers? Because if so that bugs the hell out of me (like the Move boxes say "Move Compatible" not "For use with Move ONLY").

If the games can be played with normal controls, and played just as well - then what is the point. Whereas the Wii IS the controller. I'm still interested of course but it just doesn't hold right with me.

Not with move from what I've seen - eyepet you can use the pad to key in names for the pet and stuff but of the games I have pad is not an option (tumble, flight control, sports champs)

Everything about it is cringeworthy. :facepalm:

In the first ad she says "you don't have to do anything you don't already do" as the guy is breakdancing on the floor ffs.

:lol:

That first vid has to be the most annoying embarassing videogame ad for a long time. What a bunch of smug twats.

I never really thought it was possible to dumb down videogames in general but Microsoft have surprised me yet again.

If they're Move only they'll have 'Playstation Move required' and a 'YOU'LL NEED THESE' badge (with a picture of PS3 Eye and Move) on the front of box as well. On the back it says 'Playstation Move required'.

If it says 'Move Compatible' then you can use a pad.

The holdyup-hand-wait and "Xbox Play" stuff is going to get real old real fast. I remember with the EyeToy it was much the same. That sort of arm movement is really quite tiring after a little bit and makes you just want to find a controller instead.

Pause is even worse apparently: a 45 degrees outstretched left arm held for a few seconds.

Though I really hope that's a joke.

Pause is even worse apparently: a 45 degrees outstretched left arm held for a few seconds.

Though I really hope that's a joke.

If you could pause the game by saying "Computer, freeze program" I would be eagerly awaiting a pre-order.

Does the current Xbox interface offer support for Dutch in the first place?

The Xbox interface isn't even available in Dutch yet, and that's just written text. This is not exactly surprising news.

So probably never even going to have that problem if that's the rate of progress of recognition of Dutch as an important language to support by Microsoft.

You sure? Over here there was one huge circle jerk all over the Wii. People were frothing at the mouth with excitement at all the innovation it would bring and how cheap development would bring great and fun games back into force. It would bring third party support back to Nintendo and it would generally be the best thing ever. Those who were sceptical were flamed to high heaven. Just check the first pages of the Exciting Wiitails thread.

Then when it failed to deliver, the 'developers have to get used to the tech, it'll take a year or so'. Then one year later, it was repeated because it would actually take two years and eventually pretty much everybody except Scottcr gave up on it. I think the last flare of hope was the introduction of the Motion Plus (where even the fanboys couldn't maintain that the original controller was made of fairy dust magic), because the added accuracy would finally bring those great games to life.

You sure? Over here there was one huge circle jerk all over the Wii. People were frothing at the mouth with excitement at all the innovation it would bring and how cheap development would bring great and fun games back into force. It would bring third party support back to Nintendo and it would generally be the best thing ever. Those who were sceptical were flamed to high heaven. Just check the first pages of the Exciting Wiitails thread.

Then when it failed to deliver, the 'developers have to get used to the tech, it'll take a year or so'. Then one year later, it was repeated because it would actually take two years and eventually pretty much everybody except Scottcr gave up on it. I think the last flare of hope was the introduction of the Motion Plus (where even the fanboys couldn't maintain that the original controller was made of fairy dust magic), because the added accuracy would finally bring those great games to life.

no_retreat_no_surrender.jpg

Way to miss the point Musashi :P He's referring to an everyday Dutch word sounding exactly like a certain English word which will probably be used extensively with the English voice recognition. And he's not being serious.

Well yeah, I could see that, but then I got curious as to whether Microsoft even supported Dutch in the first place, and what's the dutch word for play? it can't be pronounced the same as toilet, surely?

Hmmm nearly every forum i went on was taking the piss out of how shit the games looked, how they didnt want to get off there arse to play games to waggle controls will be the end of gameing as we know it. Also takeing the piss out of the name, bar the ninty fanbois i think alot of hardcore gamers felt the wii would bomb.

I have a feeling this is the same thing and the casual/mass market will take to it. In america this thing has been on oprah ffs and the ads so far couldnt be less aimed at people who spend hours on internet gameing forums if they tried. As proven by wii its fun that counts and if the word or mouth with in the mass market is as great for kinect as it was for wii i can see it selling fucktons. Alot of people seem to have made there minds up already without having played it for themselfs or seeing what the next 8-12 months offers us the core market.

Alot of people seem to have made there minds up already without having played it for themselfs or seeing what the next 8-12 months offers us the core market.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." or see the Wii for the most likely effect of what it will offer the core market.

Kinect ain't aimed at traditional gamers, why expect that to change, unless they do a complete u-turn.

It makes me want to slam Iwata's and fucking "Shigsy's" heads together indeed. There used to be a time when Nintendo was on the forefront of gaming, pushing the medium forward in new and exciting ways.

These days they cater to grannies who can't even control their bladder, let alone a game. And not only do they get richly rewarded for it, other manufacturers are copying them :( It's even worse than Mr.T selling kitchen appliances on the infomercial stations.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." or see the Wii for the most likely effect of what it will offer the core market.

Kinect ain't aimed at traditional gamers, why expect that to change, unless they do a complete u-turn.

Someone better tell the devs who annouced there titles at tgs. I dont think those where aimed at the casual end of the market.

people seem to have made there minds up already without having played it for themselfs or seeing what the next 8-12 months offers us the core market.

Agree some people have completely and utterly made their mind up the problem is i think Nintendo sort of made motion gaming a shorthand for shovelware. That's what i think is partly to blame for the backlash against Kinect and too a lesser extent Move by 'hardcore' gamers.

The 'core' experiences never really came for the Wii and Nintendo with it's easy earners never really had to as they knew all their games would sell bucketloads anyway certain genres were tried anyone remember 'The Conduit'? But the Wii's main audience just wasn't interested. MS have already taken steps to try to counteract that sort of thing happening to Kinect first by their TGS showing, only the most cold hearted of gamers could not fail to even be a little but excited about some of the games shown. Even if you feel Kinect is not for you for now.

And i would imagine we'll see some western developers joining them soon with some new game reveals.