Microsoft Kinect

Asura

It makes me want to slam Iwata's and fucking "Shigsy's" heads together indeed. There used to be a time when Nintendo was on the forefront of gaming, pushing the medium forward in new and exciting ways.

These days they cater to grannies who can't even control their bladder, let alone a game. And not only do they get richly rewarded for it, other manufacturers are copying them :( It's even worse than Mr.T selling kitchen appliances on the infomercial stations.

Except they also produced the best core game of the generation with Mario Galaxy 2. Did the ultimate nintendo fan service with Brawl. Are working on what will be an amazing new Zelda and have been on the forefront of the good old fashioned 2D gaming revival we're seeing.

Agree some people have completely and utterly made their mind up the problem is i think Nintendo sort of made motion gaming a shorthand for shovelware. That's what i think is partly to blame for the backlash against Kinect and too a lesser extent Move by 'hardcore' gamers.

The 'core' experiences never really came for the Wii and Nintendo with it's easy earners never really had to as they knew all their games would sell bucketloads anyway certain genres were tried anyone remember 'The Conduit'? But the Wii's main audience just wasn't interested. MS have already taken steps to try to counteract that sort of thing happening to Kinect first by their TGS showing, only the most cold hearted of gamers could not fail to even be a little but excited about some of the games shown. Even if you feel Kinect is not for you for now.

And i would imagine we'll see some western developers joining them soon with some new game reveals.

Conduit sold more than expected. Goldeneye is getting very favourable previews even from the most cynical of gamers. The problem with core gaming on the wii, or gaming in general on the wii is Nintendo themselves. No one can compete with them. If you knew there was a big Nintendo release coming out, would you bother releasing at the same time?

Also, Wii features the best version of arguably one of the best games of all time in RE4. Why Capcom didn't follow that up with a Wii exclusive using that control scheme is beyond me...

Except they also produced the best core game of the generation with Mario Galaxy 2. Did the ultimate nintendo fan service with Brawl. Are working on what will be an amazing new Zelda and have been on the forefront of the good old fashioned 2D gaming revival we're seeing.

I give you the Mario Galaxies (far from the best of this gen though) being good, the rest makes me weep with despair.

Conduit sold more than expected. Goldeneye is getting very favourable previews even from the most cynical of gamers. The problem with core gaming on the wii, or gaming in general on the wii is Nintendo themselves. No one can compete with them. If you knew there was a big Nintendo release coming out, would you bother releasing at the same time?

Also, Wii features the best version of arguably one of the best games of all time in RE4. Why Capcom didn't follow that up with a Wii exclusive using that control scheme is beyond me...

No i think the biggest problem with the Wii was the graphics. If the Wii had HD graphics that were as good as the 360 or PS3 then the situation would be much much different.

Just adding HD graphics doesn't make a game better. Instead of a gimmicky shitty waggle party game in SD you then get a gimmicky shitty waggle party game in HD. Big fucking deal.

I would suffer a bad game more if it's Gfx dont compound the issue. When I play wii I feel I'm getting a downgraded gaming experience, whatever the game.

Someone better tell the devs who annouced there titles at tgs. I dont think those where aimed at the casual end of the market.

And when those fail to do the business (spiritual sequels to commercial flops), is Microsoft going to keep on paying for niche Japanese developers to keep on doing that sort of thing? they don't even think keeping profitable PC developers is a good idea.

People could trot out a token selection of early Wii support as some sort of "look,look, core games!", buy now justification, but the long term outlook is what the longterm outlook turned out to be.

Still seeing loads of ads in GAME telling to preorder Kinect, Ive seen the little billboard saying "limited stock, preorder now to avoid disappointment" for the last 3 months now, asked at the front counter and they are still taking preorders so the story about GAME selling out of all of their allocation was unsurprisingly just a load of bullshit :lol:

Still seeing loads of ads in GAME telling to preorder Kinect, Ive seen the little billboard saying "limited stock, preorder now to avoid disappointment" for the last 3 months now, asked at the front counter and they are still taking preorders so the story about GAME selling out of all of their allocation was unsurprisingly just a load of bullshit :lol:

Although not on the website for launch...

Here is an hour long video of the Gamespot people using Kinect (after hours apparently): Kinect Video

I can definitely see the appeal of this, especially when playing with friends. It looks pretty accurate too for the most part, and the lag isn't too bad. I watched it in sections, coming back to it every now and then. The adventures game looks quite fun, but not sure on Joy Ride - looks pretty simple and would get boring. Kinectimals is still :facepalm: and the dancing game was pretty funny to watch, especially the painful free-style sections which were embarassing.

I don't think I would ever get it as a 360 owner, but can see why others would. If someone else had one, I wouldn't be opposed to trying it out and giving it a play.

This looks like a Christmas day activity for me and the family. Just hope my 2yr old Niece can understand what's going on.

Edit: Think she's 3 actually.

Here is an hour long video of the Gamespot people using Kinect (after hours apparently): Kinect Video

I can definitely see the appeal of this, especially when playing with friends. It looks pretty accurate too for the most part, and the lag isn't too bad. I watched it in sections, coming back to it every now and then. The adventures game looks quite fun, but not sure on Joy Ride - looks pretty simple and would get boring. Kinectimals is still :facepalm: and the dancing game was pretty funny to watch, especially the painful free-style sections which were embarassing.

I don't think I would ever get it as a 360 owner, but can see why others would. If someone else had one, I wouldn't be opposed to trying it out and giving it a play.

Fuck if it is as fun to play as it was to watch im all over it. :lol:

Dance central from 48:30 in that video. It looks so much fun. I was lolling just watching the video!

Yeah, Dance Central does looks brilliant fun. Loads better than anything else on that video.

Joy Ride looks like shit. Adventures looks like the most simplistic and boring minigame collection ever made. And I think I could have fun with Table Tennis, but it would be much better with a controller in your hand.

Kinect Adventures is blatantly just another WiiPlay.

Looks better than Kinect Sports though although we didn't see much more than Table Tennis which doesn't work without a proper controller anyway.

WiiPlay demonstrated how awesome the Wiimote is, and was briefly good fun.

Kinect Adventures seems to demonstrate how limited Kinect is, and doesn't look much fun at all.

Yeah, I remember having great fun riding a cow... :facepalm:

Anyway, Kinect Pre-ordered :unsure:

I've already got my own Dance Central. I just put on a fitness DVD and dance along to it. I get my flatmate to shout "GOOD" or "BAD" depending on how closely I'm matching it and at the end we count up the number of goods and that's my score.

It even supports more players than Dance Central, you just need someone to keep the score for each person.

Yeah, I remember having great fun riding a cow... :facepalm:

Anyway, Kinect Pre-ordered :unsure:

In fairness to Kinect Adventures, I was mainly talking about the two minigames in that video, the game where you are on a moving platform jumping and avoiding stuff, plus the rapids one, do look like they would be a bit of a laugh on a similar level to cow riding.

I think part of my problem with these games is that Rare's 360 avatars aren't anything like as charming as Miis.

According to Wikipedia, Kinect has a vertical field of vision of 43 degrees. By my reckoning, that means that someone 185 cm tall (6" 1') would have to stand at least 2.4 meters away from the camera in order for it to be able to perceive their entire body. This isn't going to end well. Couldn't they have used fish eye lenses on the cameras or something?

The more I see of this the more I think I want one if only for the occassional party etc.

The distance thing isn't as big a problem as most people are making out I'd hazard - for example we have room behind the TV so I could easily attach it to the wall behind the TV buying myself another meter or so.