Microsoft Kinect

Asura

I could fit it in my living room, but it would mean moving furniture around. Kinect. Removing the 'casual' from 'casual gaming'.

Anyway, my 360 is in the loft and there it wouldn't work at all I think.

I predict disaster.

One of the good things of the Wii was that you could just stand behind your couch to play the sports games.

I was kind of hoping it would be worth picking up down the line for Dance Central (you know, when they're pennies) but the fact it's LITERALLY broken on a fundamental level is just shocking. Also, what about these parents who were going to buy it for their kids (yes, yes they do exist. Trust me) and think they can play it in their bedrooms? I know for a fact that your average sub teenage child doesn't have 9 foot of space in his/her bedroom at the best of times.

Oh no, I haven't got the room to play those crappy looking games. I guess I could move my couch. And I suppose I could learn to code games, get the investment and release a decent effort making the moving of the couch worthwhile. Yeah, I'll do that.

Maybe you could make a couch moving game. Kinect Kouch.

I see Game are having midnight openings for this. Reckon anyone will actually turn up?

People will be too knackered after rearranging their living rooms.

So is this distance thing a limitation of the hardware or could it be resolved via a software update down the line?

I'm personally looking forward to the accusations of bribes to Eurogamer for Kinect Sports scoring the same as Wii Sports Resort.

Of course, one is a work of Genius, and the other is by Rare...

Yeah but according to Eurogamer the defining games for Kinect are yet to come. How they know this is anybody's guess. They also say that Kinect deserves some great games. They don't say why.

Yeah but according to Eurogamer the defining games for Kinect are yet to come. How they know this is anybody's guess. They also say that Kinect deserves some great games. They don't say why.

I'm still waiting for the great Wii Motionplus game. Perhaps you could suggest it?

They don't need to. Any tech that has potential deserves some great games. Regardless of Kinect's execution, why wouldn't it deserve great games?

It's also kinda weird they talk about the lag and how it gets worse but instead of this being a bad thing it's all "But better devs can diguise this."

If Nintendo had made this thing there woudl be demonstrations on the street.

I don't mean demonstrations on the street like there were for the Wii. I mean demonstrations. Like demonstrations AGAINST the Wii. Not that cool bus with the awesome games.

It's also kinda weird they talk about the lag and how it gets worse but instead of this being a bad thing it's all "But better devs can diguise this."

If Nintendo had made this thing there woudl be demonstrations on the street.

I don't mean demonstrations on the street like there were for the Wii. I mean demonstrations. Like demonstrations AGAINST the Wii. Not that cool bus with the awesome games.

You mean the type thats happening right now on most every hardcore gamers forums about kinect then. :lol:

They don't need to. Any tech that has potential deserves some great games. Regardless of Kinect's execution, why wouldn't it deserve great games?

Anything has potential if used in the right way therefore everything deserves great games. A brick for example. That deserves great games doesn't it? We just need somebody to work out how to display games on a brick but it certainly has the potential (If they iron out the inital problems (the fact that it's a brick)).

I was a little interested in this, but the space needed is a killer. I have about 5 foot 10" between the wall my TV is on and my couch so I couldn't have it if I wanted it. I suppose i could move my TV to the top of the stairs and stand at the bottom!

I knew space was an issue but fucking hell. I consider my house to have a decent sized front room, but I could ONLY JUST use a Kinect in it. I predict a lot of people trying to return it when they find this out. Also, this is a little bizarre:

Pretty much. I think the reasons for both Sony and Nintendo skipping on the tech is becoming increasingly clear. The space requirements simply aren't practical for most people. I would have to rearrange my living room, and play with my back pretty much to the wall to get single player working comfortably.

My fear for this from day one was that it wouldn't hold up in real world conditions, and clearly this is going to be the case for many people. Certainly not everyone, and it seems that for the people with the space, the tech (whilst laggy according to EG) is convincing, and the launch titles have been better received than I thought they would be too.

Space certainly appears to be the achilles heal for the device though, and I do wonder how badly this will effect Kinect's chances of mainstream success, once the glitz and fanfare has died down.

Re: glasses. Kinect uses an IR lamp and an IR camera to look for objects in 3D. Most glasses are opaque to IR. So as far as Kinect's 3D sensor, you don't have eye sockets or eyes if you're wearing specs. No wonder it has problems, presumably it has some sort of system to attempt to handle glasses but from the sounds of things it's not very effective.