Microsoft Kinect

Asura

I could fit it in my living room, but it would mean moving furniture around.

This. And no way that am I gonna do that. I still think Dance Central looks like a lot of fun (and the reviews seem to reflect this) but it's only one game and the thing looks to be too much of a pain to set-up in my appartment.

Looking at those space requirements I could play it in one of my apartments, but not my house or 2nd apartment. If that minumum distance is really required I can see a lot of people not having the room to play it. Have too see what the US buyers have to say tomorrow. I guess it wont be as big a deal as it's made out to be.

LOL at the Eurogamer Fighters Uncaged review. It really sounds like the most awful game. It's worth a read in its entirety, one highlight:

There is no point trying to describe the "gameplay" in Fighters Uncaged any further. Your fighter won't ever do what he's told with any degree of consistency. The AI couldn't even spell its own initials. The lag is so bad you'll start to wonder if the issue is in fact with you - perhaps you've developed some kind of mutant superpower which enables you to see whole seconds into the future?

The other reviews seem quite positive, to be fair.

EDIT: Well, except Joyride. But no-one was actually expecting that to be good, were they?

Anything has potential if used in the right way therefore everything deserves great games. A brick for example. That deserves great games doesn't it? We just need somebody to work out how to display games on a brick but it certainly has the potential (If they iron out the inital problems (the fact that it's a brick)).

If you can't imagine how to play with a brick, I think you should stop trying to decide what developers should or shouldn't be developing at all.

i don't think i would want my sofa to be ten feet away from the television, but i would like a sweet body-controlled version of that wii game where you spin your mii round to fit inside shapes and pop bubbles.

The other reviews seem quite positive, to be fair.

EDIT: Well, except Joyride. But no-one was actually expecting that to be good, were they?

Yet you wouldn't think that looking at the comments certain posters still feel like making. I thought some positive reviews would make for better reading in the Kinect thread, with some more excited people getting interested in it. Turns out it's the same old trolls getting their early morning bash in and anyone being positive gets negged. No wonder Microsoft wants an audience that isn't hardcore gamers, they're all horrible people.

Kinect Sports looks absolutely great in the IGN video review. I hadn't bought Sports Champions because I own both Wii Sports games but this looks to be doing something different. Interesting the comment towards the end about how two players in table tennis lowers the quality of body tracking. I wonder if this is a limitation of the hardware or simply launch title blues.

I just find it strange the reviews for the hardware are all "Yeah it's cumbersome, laggy and difficult to set up but once you do finally get it working it's okay and it has tremedous potential!"

Whereas I feel if anybody but MS had made it they would be saying "It's cumbersome, laggy, difficult to set up and once you do get it working the games are only okay."

I just find it strange the reviews for the hardware are all "Yeah it's cumbersome, laggy and difficult to set up but once you do finally get it working it's okay and it has tremedous potential!"

Whereas I feel if anybody but MS had made it they would be saying "It's cumbersome, laggy, difficult to set up and once you do get it working the games are only okay."

It's new hardware, and it's all space-agey so it's going to get an easy ride at the start. I would imagine a new joypad controller where the right trigger only worked 9 out of 10 times, or sometimes counted as a left trigger push would get crucified in reviews.

It does seem like the better scoring games take account of the limitations though.

Wii Sports Resort is pretty good.

Yeah I've heard its about as good as Kinect Sports... <_<

anyhoo enough triptrapping on his bridge...

I had a Wii for a loooong time and I lost interest in the casual stuff after a while, Kinect seems to be more of the same...

So I am still out on this one.

IF they produce a game for Kinect and controller that seems interesting I might pick it up but to be honest all my money is ploughed into plastic instruments right now :)

Yeah I've heard its about as good as Kinect Sports... <_<

anyhoo enough triptrapping on his bridge...

I had a Wii for a loooong time and I lost interest in the casual stuff after a while, Kinect seems to be more of the same...

So I am still out on this one.

IF they produce a game for Kinect and controller that seems interesting I might pick it up but to be honest all my money is ploughed into plastic instruments right now :)

sex-toys.jpg

Kotaku kinect space

Fucking hell, check this out anyone who might think they dont have the room dont buy kinect. I thought i might get away with it but i dont think i have a room in my house that has the kind of room these two over at kotaku were playing in and still having issue. :blink: There are going to be so many of these returned and alot of unhappy kiddies this xmas when kinect says move back move back moooooooove back while they attempt to play it in there normal people bed rooms. :doh:

So if I was so inclined I could go to Game at midnight tonight and probably bag one of these ?

No there not out over here till next week. :hat:

The Good

The hardware is easy to set up, with good instructions

The games are simple to jump in and play

Using your hand as a cursor can be fun

The games make you move, and tend to be a good workout

Voice commands are useful in some circumstances

The camera can adjust itself to put you in frame

Games still work in low light conditions

It knows who is playing, and uses that account

The effect is uncanny when everything works right

The Bad

The menu system takes much longer than just using buttons

The hardware sometimes has issues hearing you or seeing your movement

The games are very similar

Without buttons, you lose control in certain parts of certain games

It starts at $150, which feels expensive

There is lag. It's not terrible, but it's there

The Kinect Hub doesn't do everything, or even most things

The Ugly

Too many games used the "take pictures during gameplay" gimmick. We get it—playing games on the Kinect makes us look stupid. It almost feels like you're playing a game so the 360 can laugh at you

Verdict: Skip... for now

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2010/11/buy-a-house-clean-your-floor-move-your-butt-ars-reviews-kinect.ars/6

The videos on the Xbox dash are good for a laugh at how they see a typical living room. The sofa is so far from the TV the guy might as well be using some binoculars to see the TV.

It doesn't work with awesome spectacles, no chance with binoculars.

Is there a short word for binoculars? There should be. Binos?

"Hey, Ian, ass me the binos." That works but it's not very common.

Edit - I wrote ass, a freudian slip!

The Eurogamer coverage reads like they've given the benefit of the doubt to the titles seen by MS as important, and treated the fighting game as a sacrifice.

Compared to the OTT scores that console launch games usually get, this response is pretty muted.

The Eurogamer coverage reads like they've given the benefit of the doubt to the titles seen by MS as important, and treated the fighting game as a sacrifice.

Compared to the OTT scores that console launch games usually get, this response is pretty muted.

Peripheral launch games.

Grand Slam Tennis.

Yes Eurogamer did give ott scores to the 360 launch didnt they... there was no way they were a mix of 5-8's like the Kinect launch...

oh wait........

EDIT - correction I apologise not just the 360 launch but all three console launches. Basically in launch reviews they praise the new and shiny...but the dont go overboard