Microsoft Kinect

Asura

I'm betting we'll get controllers like these next-gen...

fusion-controller-2.jpg

Works like a pad but splits apart into tracked motion controllers..

not really required though, there's really no need to have a pad - the Move will be standard in next-gen for PS3, I reckon it won't be that long before it's bundled as standard. The 360 will introduce some kind of pointer mechanism to go with Kinnect. The Wiimote will be redesigned for better button placement and built in WMP (which is already happening).

Can you really simultaneously argue " it's just eyetoy" (or its just copying the wii) and " this is the first..."?

Re. The 3d telly point.

Millions of people already wear glasses to watch tv. The discontinuity between where you think you're focusing, and where the director thinks you will be focusing, will be a much bigger problem for 3D than wearing glasses will be.

If this wasn't the case, avatar would have been a massive flop.

Just confining ourselves to games;. people bought original Playstation games in "3D". They bought starfox on the SNES. They have fond memories of both, and by today's standards they're ten frames per second slideshows.

And not comfortable to play at all because of it.

I don't think the 'millions of people wear glasses' argument holds up. We were glasses because we're forced to - because we can't see without them. But I keep my glasses on *at all times* unless I'm sleeping. 3D glasses need them to be only worn when actually watching the TV. So - I walk into the room and sit on the couch and I'm casually watching some nonsense in the background while flipping through a magazine or using the ipad... except I CAN'T because I'm wearing stupid 3D glasses... and probably sitting at the wrong angle from the screen anway.

The only real driver for 3D tv in the home is for gaming... I accept it can make a big difference to games.

I am selling my Playstation Move if anyone wants it.

I'm going to do the same - I've got two "wands", a navigation thing and the camera - I'm going to punt the lot and get kinect instead.

The big clincher on which gimmicky control scheme I wanted ? Incredibly, it's the fact there's no controllers - no clutter lying about doing nothing most of the time or needing charged before it can be used - just that camera and that's it.

not really required though, there's really no need to have a pad - the Move will be standard in next-gen for PS3, I reckon it won't be that long before it's bundled as standard. The 360 will introduce some kind of pointer mechanism to go with Kinnect. The Wiimote will be redesigned for better button placement and built in WMP (which is already happening).

If games played with a joypad or joystick die off completely, I will be rather unimpressed.

no clutter lying about doing nothing most of the time or needing charged before it can be used - just that camera and that's it.

That's my girlfriend's point. Then I bought a keyboard for Rock Band at the weekend, to make up for the forthcoming lack of Kinect related clutter.

I'm going to do the same - I've got two "wands", a navigation thing and the camera - I'm going to punt the lot and get kinect instead.

The big clincher on which gimmicky control scheme I wanted ? Incredibly, it's the fact there's no controllers - no clutter lying about doing nothing most of the time or needing charged before it can be used - just that camera and that's it.

It's good you are getting rid of clutter, seeing as Kinect makes you tidy your room to play. It's a win-win!

Surely you are coming at this backwards though, shouldn't it be about the games first and foremost? Or does simply watching an avatar track your skeletal movements really hold that much appeal?

I bought a PS3 with all that move gubbins, bought another controller and it has been used probably in total for less than 90 minutes gametime - the primary use has been eyepet for the kiddy and she'll be far more over kinectimals from what I've seen.

It's a win-win cos the other half detests all the clutter around the TV.

I'm unsure whether I should take the plunge on this as I was not planning to buy it but I want to give it a go due to the mostly unexpected positive opinions. I've got this week off work and Kinect is released on my birthday. If I tell the gf she would by it for me as a pressie...hmmmm I wonder how easy it will be to just walk in a shop and buy it the Wednesday as I cannot see it flying off the shelves.

Saw some Quicklook videos on Giantbomb. Seems pretty bad. :/

Anyone else had more positive experiences?

Played Kinect twice this week, once on the sports game and one shitty sonic hoverboarding game. neither of them work at all, though the child i was playing kinect sports with managed to find a way to spaz his arms which was nothing like the instructions, but that scored a lot and beat me. The guy demonstrating the sonic game couldn't get the menu to work for 5 minutes.

If games played with a joypad or joystick die off completely, I will be rather unimpressed.

there's no need for the pad to be joined into two bits though - that's just a throwback to technological limitations. Even forgetting completely about waggle/pointy - a pad in two separate bits is just so much more comfortable.

I do like how it allows you to slouch on the couch completely. Gaming without having to raise your hands at all. You can just drop your arms on either side of your body and glare at the screen while drooling and almost nodding off. Anti-waggle to the max, I like it. But as I said, I would want all proper controls on it, and I'm not sure if that's doable without making it too bulky or uncomfortable to hold.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-motion-sports/17-3469/

RIDER MEET HORSE, HORSE MEET RIDER

I'm betting we'll get controllers like these next-gen...

fusion-controller-2.jpg

Works like a pad but splits apart into tracked motion controllers..

Sticks are in the wrong place.

In other news, today's Metro had 7 Kinect Adverts (including one full page and 1 double page) within the first 20 pages.