Microsoft Kinect

Asura

Holy shites, The Magic Box is still going?! I remember when it was hosted on Yahoo or one of those free hosting websites.

Haha, I was going to post exactly the same thing. It used to be a great source for new (Japanese) game info.

Impressive that it works at all given the limitations of the camera, to be sure.

I think we can rule out gameplay uses though unless someone can think of a game involving standing right next to the sensor and moving their hands very carefully with fingers splayed out. Jazzhands Central perhaps.

Edit: LOL, fuck this thread

Ramone - is this the part where you retrospectively change your argument (again) from 'it can't recognise your fingers' to 'it might not be useful in a game'?

Can it now? Closest I've seen is that video where it can just about track the end of fingers close to the camera.

Hey, I also said it can't track eyeballs and you know if some nerd comes up with something that involves placing your eyes right in front of the camera and slowly moving their eyes around then I'll still think I was right even though, you know, strictly speaking.

Got a bundle with Kinect Sports and Dance Central today. To be honest, after all the negativity in this thread pre-release and people saying demos didn't work, etc, I'm really impressed how well it works. The voice recognition on the menus is flawless and it doesn't have any problem detecting me in what is not exactly an optimal environment.

Not had a chance to try Kinect Sports yet. Kinect Adventures is a mixed bag. I like the rally ball, rafting and leak covering games, am indifferent to the mine cart game (it's the one game where the slight lag is detrimental to the experience) and the bubble popping game is flat-out dull. It'll have little longevity but a good thing to whip out with family or friends. Dance Central is really good but my one complaint would be that it's trying to be a bit too 'cool'. I'd like some cheesy songs with some ridiculous dance routines but it's a bit straight-laced and serious, and if I put my Grandma in front of this game I'm not sure she would even recognise one song. It seems a bit of a shame for what should be an ideal party game.

OK, so I'm pretty impressed with Kinect, I have to say. In Kinect Sports, when I first raised my hands to receive the cheers of the crowd, it was one of those spine-tingling, "Jesus, this shit is NEW" moments. It felt like playing on the Wii for the first time, where it seemed like there were boundless possibilities for the new tech. Here's hoping that similar disappointment isn't to follow.

While the amount of voice recognition in the Kinect Hub is plainly just a fraction of things to come (surely the whole dashboard will be controllable come the next big update), and the menu navigation isn't as quick as it'll be when MS copies Harmonix's system from Dance Central, the conceit of controlling your Xbox without a controller is fun, and it actually works. Reliably. It's scary stuff.

Given all the worries about lag, I've been pleasantly surprised with how responsive the system is in the wild. Kinect Adventures will get old very quickly (the rafting in that is much more fun when actually playing it than it appeared in those E3 demos, mind), but Kinect Sports looks like a keeper. Your Shape: Fitness Evolved has some crazy-futuristic Minority Report-style stuff going on in the early stages - if there's anything to really make people go "wow", that start-up sequence is it. I've barely had the chance to play Dance Central yet, but my sister is coming over this afternoon so I reckon we're going to spend quite a bit of time on it.

I completely forget that the bloody thing's recording me all the time - some of the video and photo montages at the end of games/levels have been hilarious. And I haven't had the chance to try out the video chat - Kinect's in my lounge at the moment (where the wi-fi's a bit flakey) and I need to completely rearrange my games room before I can move it there. But in my lounge there's the optimum amount of space, and I've had no problems with the tracking or the recognition or anything else. The tech quite simply works, and given that the software is bound to come on by leaps and bounds over the next few months and years through firmware updates and dev ingenuity, I'm really excited by what the future holds for this device.

There's no killer app for Kinect yet, but it's certainly an experience worth trying out. I've been converted. It's great fun. It feels like the future - I'm wondering just what types of stuff can be done with a controller/Kinect combo for core games.

Perhaps more importantly, from MS's point of view, I can see it attracting families and the types of casual gamer that the company's piecemeal offerings thus far haven't been able to entice. Kinect's going to be on in my house a lot over Christmas, I can tell.

Alright, I want it. I want in. Rllmuk point me in the right direction!

I'm after a party game for family Xmas japes and a decent game for fun & fitness for me & the Mrs to play. Then where's best to pick such a deal up? :sherlock:

PC World (web) is doing Kinect plus Dance Central and Kinect Sports for £189.99. Reserve for in-store pickup.

^ That's the exact bundle I got.

Tried some Kinect Sports. Football is a very simplified version of the game obviously, but it's definitely my favourite so far. But you need to make sure the sensor can see most of your legs or your players go all spaz-legged. Can't get the timing right on the headers yet. I found Volleyball very attritional even on Beginner, almost like I was missing something because most of the other games are really easy on Beginner. I couldn't really see how I won most points and rallies would go on forever. Track And Field is pretty much what I expected, lots of running on the spot and jumping. Presentation-wise I think Kinect Sports is definitely the best of the three games.

It's really tiring playing these games though. I'd like to play Dance Central a lot more but after about 5 routines I'm too tired. The technology works and the launch games I've played are fairly accomplished but I'm curious as to how they can integrate this into more traditional games without the need for such exertion.

While it would be fucking knackering beyond belief, I can almost see how FIFA could work in Be A Pro mode with Kinect. Run on the spot to move, raise your hands to request a pass, the orientation of your body controls your running direction, pass and shoot works as in Kinect Sports...

Could be a clusterfuck. Might actually work.

New game idea:

PUFF PUFF PASSTM

You sit cross legged in front of the kinect, talking to three virtual buddies with the voice recognition feature.

The aim of the game is to take three tokes on your imaginary joint, and then pass it on. However, you get bonus points for taking an extra toke when no-one is looking directly at you. If however they spot you, you will be forced to defend yourself against a jumbled assortment of illogical paranoid circular arguments that eventually peter out without being resolved.

Minigames include watching Fear & Loathing from beginning to end (you have to do this every time you play the game) and listening to Dark side of the moon while your virtual friends talk about how baked they were the last time you played the game.

The game ends if you fail to procure enough drugs to feed the four of you for that session, or if you become bored of the tedious gameplay and suggest doing something else (your virtual 'friends' then abandon to join the session of whoever is also playing on your friends list).

Features connectivity with child of eden.

Theres some free DLC for Kinect sports. Has anyone downloaded it? Any good?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=280488

Microsoft is to launch free Kinect Sports DLC today, introducing a number of new activities and Achievements for the game.

As spotted by 123 Kinect, the Kinect Sports Party Pack is a free 7.6 MB download from Xbox Live that will enable you to rack up an extra 250 Gamerscore.

Its official listing reads: "Shake your hips and move your feet with six brand new Mini Games: SUPER STRIKER, PINVADERS, RAPID RUNNER, TARGET SMASH, FRUIT SPLATTER and KING OF THE RING. Get the Kinect Sports party started with new Party Play games and three additional crazy mascots: ZIPPY ZOMBIE, CHAMPION CHICKEN and SPORTASTICO!"

Check out CVG's Kinect Sports review.

Not really paid much attention to Kinect, but was quite surprised the other day by two work colleagues who in the past have been Playstation or nothing inform me that they're ditching their PS3s, and have bought 360s and Kinect.

"What about Move?" I asked. They're not interested. It seems it just isn't different enough to a Wii.

Like the table tennis one (hit targets as they move across the table; bonuses for hitting the same one multiple times - which means you need to aim a bit); the running one is by far the most strenuous minigame by far; boxing is... boxing; I haven't got the hang of the bowling one (hit pins as they advance up the screen towards you - bowling alternately left and right handed (or both together)); football is heading or shooting whilst avoiding boots - think the Wii Fit heading game, but using your feet as well.

No idea about beach volleyball. I avoid that. :)

More mini-game variety for Xmas parties == win.

MS really should officially realise tools so indie developers can release software for it as some people are trying out ideas that could become the basis of a great game idea. MS maybe be quietly observing in the background saying that.

Got a bonus earlier in the week, so we decided to bosh it on a Kinect and Dance Central. Yet to have a boogie, but we set it up last night and it really is rather impressive watching it do its thing for the first time. No doubt been said a million times before, but they ain't kidding about the space needed and I think it'll be nigh on impossible for us to play two player in our living room (which has accomodated 4 player Rock Band in the past).

The Main Event will probably make it's debut on Saturday night, and I'm now rather excited at the prospect playing Child of Eden via the means of interpretive dance, but I think I may have felt a little short changed if I hadn't got it essentially for "free". But then I have been excitedly blabbering about it to anyone that'll listen at work today, so it must be doing something right.

MS really should officially realise tools so indie developers can release software for it as some people are trying out ideas that could become the basis of a great game idea. MS maybe be quietly observing in the background saying that.

Yeah, bizarrely a kinda indie scene/app store for Kinect could be lots of fun, possible more so than some of the launch titles.

I get mine on Sunday so I can finally start pissing about with it.