New Super Mario Bros. Wii

roskelld

The kotaku preview sounds good, though it makes me think the game won't offer much new for those of us unlikely to find other people willing to play the game with us. It'd be wonderful to see a 2D Mario with a similar inventiveness to the NES and SNES games. I'm glad it'll be challenging, though.

Me too, although I think it looks like it works better on a bigger screen. It's still not the Super Mario World 3 that we're all waiting for though...

I'll agree with this - it's not going to be a new SMW. Certainly the structure of it is based on NSMB DS, which means it's more like Super Mario Bros

The kotaku preview sounds good, though it makes me think the game won't offer much new for those of us unlikely to find other people willing to play the game with us.

I'm quite pleased it's 2D, as that massively increases my chances of finding people to play with ("casual gamers"). Or at least I'll be able to play along with my girlfriend. :huh: She finds 3D platform games rather overwhelming, as non-gamers often do in my experience.

Personally though I would love something like this, but Super Mario 64/Galaxy like. I remember hoping that Super Mario 64 DS would be a four player Super Mario 64. The adventure playground feel of the game world would really come alive with other plumbers/dinosaurs running about in them.

Sure, as does Klonoa2 - I did say just about. Jungle Beat was a weird fish though, as much a rhythm game as a platformer.

Ehr... no? Did you play it? There's no music/rhythm stuff in there. It's a pre-cursor to Wii controls in letting you do actions with simple moves, instead of buttons.

The Wii-version was an abomination, though.

Ehr... no? Did you play it? There's no music/rhythm stuff in there. It's a pre-cursor to Wii controls in letting you do actions with simple moves, instead of buttons.

I'd say it's arguably more successful than 99% of Wii games in that respect. There's still a precision to most inputs, and the clap calibration is just about perfect.

The Wii-version was an abomination, though.

I've played both - in places there was a distinct rhythm to it, most obvious in the GC version. Not Guitar Hero/DDR, sure and no, not just because the input method was a pair of bongos but nearly always the correct timing on the trickier bits followed a rhythm of some description. Also, to your Wii precursor point - I'm not sure a pair of bongos counts as anything other than just a big pair of buttons. You sure you played it?

I've played both - in places there was a distinct rhythm to it, most obvious in the GC version. Not Guitar Hero/DDR, sure and no, not just because the input method was a pair of bongos but nearly always the correct timing on the trickier bits followed a rhythm of some description. Also, to your Wii precursor point - I'm not sure a pair of bongos counts as anything other than just a big pair of buttons. You sure you played it?

'Platinumized' it.

'Platinumized' it.

Then I'm surprised you didn't think there was any rhythm to it. Most good platformers have a rhythm to them, in fact is there not a Japanese word that describes exactly that - when a game feels 'right' due to it's underlying rhythm? Donkey Kong Jungle Beat explored that relationship more than any other platformer I can think of.

Is the character control as tight as the likes of SMW? I thought that NSMB DS just "felt" wrong in its platforming slightly.

I know what you mean by this. Mario felt the wrong weight, somehow. Is it just me or was he slightly heavy, was there slightly too much inertia? Can't quite put my finger on it, really. Still liked it, but it didn't feel as tight as Marios of old.

It's be hilarious if the folks that were so derisive of Super Guide ended up having to use it.

I'm interested to see how this works. Looking forward to some hard rewarding platform action. The last few levels of NyxQuest were hard as nails but always felt possible and were rewarding yo play through.