New Super Mario Bros. Wii

roskelld

The thing is the gameplay looks almost exactly like the DS NSMB does, which I guess isn't a bad thing because that was a pretty fun game and the old Marios were good, but when you can get games that look and sound nicer than this does for $15 on XBLA and PSN it seems kind of like a rip-off to get what looks like a near-remake of a game that just came out for $50.

there isn't a single XBLA/PSN platformer that is a patch on a 2D mario platformer.

I'm discounting Braid, as that's a puzzler - not a platformer.

You seem more interested in looks and sound...

I see Game have got a limited edition tin version on their site for £49.99. The listing doesn't mention anything extra so I'm not exactly sure what justifies the extra £15 over the standard version, but at least the tin looks nice.

344203ps_500h.jpg

344203ss1_502w.jpg

344203ss2_502w.jpg

D R O O L

there isn't a single XBLA/PSN platformer that is a patch on a 2D mario platformer.

Idk man, Bionic Commando: Rearmed is really fucking good.

You seem more interested in looks and sound...

I'd like this game to look and sound a bit different than it's predessesor as I don't want to feel like I'm playing a game I just played all over again just with 4 people. There's no doubt this'll be a fun game, it's a 2D Mario game made by Nintendo, of course it will be, I just like my experiences fresh, especially at $50. I'm currently not loaded with money right now and wouldn't like to feel like I've wasted it.

this is what I don't get... the graphics are Mario graphics... Mario 2D games have always had a similar style to them. IMO - they have a great Wii-gen sheen to them and anyone who thinks that it doesn't look much different from the DS version needs some glasses!

Mario games are about platforming... no one.. yes... no one... can do 2D platforming like these guys. Timeless games. Impressions are coming in saying this is a *real* gamers game... it's hard. It'll kick your ass and take your name. Impressions are also coming in that this is *great*. Calling HoC to the thread!!

Sure - you could spend your money on shinies... but you seem to be writing this off based more on the graphics than the gameplay.

I could argue that CoD MW2 isn't going to be a fresh experience.... (it's going to be ace tho)

this is what I don't get... the graphics are Mario graphics... Mario 2D games have always had a similar style to them. IMO - they have a great Wii-gen sheen to them and anyone who thinks that it doesn't look much different from the DS version needs some glasses!

Gonna have to disagree with this, actually. With the exception of The Lost Levels, every 2D Mario game before this one had it's own look, check it out.

super-mario-bros.jpgsuper-mario-bros-2-nes-potion.jpgSuperMarioBros3.PNG

super-mario-world-2.jpgYoshi

All 5 games have a different look to them, each with their own style. NSMBWii simply looks like NSMB on the DS in higher resolution.

Idk, maybe I'm nitpicking, but I just like each game I play to have a fresh look to it, sequel or not.

Bit weird how they've got Toad twice for the 3rd and 4th players. Sorry if this has already been discussed but you'd think they could have been a bit more imaginative if they're going to wear the 4-player focus badge with pride. :lol:

Bit weird how they've got Toad twice for the 3rd and 4th players. Sorry if this has already been discussed but you'd think they could have been a bit more imaginative if they're going to wear the 4-player focus badge with pride. :lol:

I'd be massively surprised if there aren't extra characters unlockable via the single player mode.

Toad and Toadette, no? But they could have chosen so many other characters instead.

I honestly am not expecting unlockable characters in this game; maybe, but either way I suppose this'll be a fairly solid adventure, if a bit too simplistic. It looks fun and, upon reflection, will probably be a blast with friends. My favorite multiplayer game ever is Kirby Super Star, if this manages to be half as much fun as that during multiplayer bouts I'll be pleased.

WHO CARES.

A new, massive 2D Mario and people are even thinking about what it looks like! Real gaming has returned!

How is this massive? I mean, I'm betting that the sales will be massive, but Nintendo confirmed this has the exact same amount of levels as NSMB for the DS. I really don't see why this game is THAT big of a deal. Did people just forget about NSMB all together? This game looks fun and all but it's pretty much just a console version of that with 4-players, where were you when that game came out?

The return of the Koopa Kids is pretty cool though, I'll admit. Kamek as well.

I honestly am not expecting unlockable characters in this game; maybe, but either way I suppose this'll be a fairly solid adventure, if a bit too simplistic. It looks fun and, upon reflection, will probably be a blast with friends. My favorite multiplayer game ever is Kirby Super Star, if this manages to be half as much fun as that during multiplayer bouts I'll be pleased.

How is this massive? I mean, I'm betting that the sales will be massive, but Nintendo confirmed this has the exact same amount of levels as NSMB for the DS. I really don't see why this game is THAT big of a deal. Did people just forget about NSMB all together? This game looks fun and all but it's pretty much just a console version of that with 4-players, where were you when that game came out?

Nothing like a bit of unjustified pessimism!

How am I being pessimistic? This game is no bigger than NSMB on the DS and that's a fact, Nintendo specifically stated this game had 80 levels, the exact same amount of levels NSMB DS had. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it would have been nice for Nintendo to push the Wii a bit more to make this bigger and better than it's DS version.

I guess we'll see when it comes out, I just feel like it's a little late for people to say "omggg oldschool mario is back!!!!11" when NSMB came out a year or two ago already.

NSMB was excellent though...

you're blatantly dismissing this because it's not epic enough. You don't think it should be full price, you think it looks slight and won't have the depth.

There's criticism of a lack of 'decent' games on the Wii and when they do appear, there's some kind of excuse made to dismiss them in some sort.

If you're not interested in it - fine... but some of us are really looking forward to it. A new - big screen - 2D mario. It wasn't that long ago that people were screaming for a new 2D mario, and then they get it, and they moan. Nintendo can't win sometimes.

How am I being pessimistic? This game is no bigger than NSMB on the DS and that's a fact, Nintendo specifically stated this game had 80 levels, the exact same amount of levels NSMB DS had. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it would have been nice for Nintendo to push the Wii a bit more to make this bigger and better than it's DS version.

I guess we'll see when it comes out, I just feel like it's a little late for people to say "omggg oldschool mario is back!!!!11" when NSMB came out a year or two ago already.

Because it's the first console Mario in 15 years. Wether it's 80 or 800 levels, the fact that Nintendo is bringing out an old-school Mario platformer on it's mainline console is what's getting people excited.

I get the criticism, it's just that everything we've heard of, from impressions up to trailers doesn't just look better than NSMB DS, it looks like the game NSMB DS was supposed to be with all the more fanservice thrown in for good measure. The bigger and better part comes in the form of extra modes for multiplayer, far more secrets(from the looks of it), the multiplayer in and of itself(which, if Four Swords is any indication, is going to be EPIC) and an art style which benifitted from the Wii's capabilities with more enemies on-screen, far more effects and more saturated colors.

I fucking loved NSMB from launch and still crack it out every now again years later, I dont understand the criticisms of it at all.

This is going to be 2D platforming perfection (even though I dont have any love for my Wii at all) and scottcr's post is spot on, bloody naysayers!

I found NSMB to be fun, but pretty forgettable, honestly. I don't know why, I remember it being fun, just not spectacular. This probably will be an update with the 4-player co-op, but to me that just seems to be all it is; an update.

you're blatantly dismissing this because it's not epic enough. You don't think it should be full price, you think it looks slight and won't have the depth.

There's criticism of a lack of 'decent' games on the Wii and when they do appear, there's some kind of excuse made to dismiss them in some sort.

If you're not interested in it - fine... but some of us are really looking forward to it. A new - big screen - 2D mario. It wasn't that long ago that people were screaming for a new 2D mario, and then they get it, and they moan. Nintendo can't win sometimes.

I'm interested in this game, don't get me wrong, I just think it's silly that when Nintendo makes a game with a low budget it's $50, but when other companies make games of the same budget (Perhaps higher, as well), they come as low as $15. This game will probably be pretty fun, I love co-op in KSS and if this is anything like that it'll be a blast, I just wish that they tweaked the art a tad and made it more of it's own thing rather than NSMB on the big screen.

tldr; game will probably be fun, but underwhelming. I'd be more excited for this if the original NSMB never came out.

I found NSMB to be fun, but pretty forgettable, honestly. I don't know why, I remember it being fun, just not spectacular. This probably will be an update with the 4-player co-op, but to me that just seems to be all it is; an update.

I'm interested in this game, don't get me wrong, I just think it's silly that when Nintendo makes a game with a low budget it's $50, but when other companies make games of the same budget (Perhaps higher, as well), they come as low as $15. This game will probably be pretty fun, I love co-op in KSS and if this is anything like that it'll be a blast, I just wish that they tweaked the art a tad and made it more of it's own thing rather than NSMB on the big screen.

tldr; game will probably be fun, but underwhelming. I'd be more excited for this if the original NSMB never came out.

what!?! :lol:

what!?! :lol:

I don't see why my post warrented a facepalm;

ShadowComplex_Screen17-620x.jpg

That game is downloadable for $15 on the XBL marketplace, while NSMBWii is a retail game with a starting price of $50. Actual game quality aside (Besides the fact that Shadow Complex is actually supposed to be really good, anyway), NSMB should be similarly priced in my opinion.

Shadow Complex is superb.. yes.

However, graphically, it's repetitive and it has a lot of rough edges to it. It's not local multiplayer either and it can be finished pretty quickly. The level design is up and down and there are definately bugs.

Again, it's excellent - but you're falling into the camp of '2D - must be cheap to make therefore throwaway'.

Again - you're basing your opinions of this *purely* on the graphics... which are great anyway. Don't be fooled by the look of it, this will have cost a fair few bob to develop.

Shadow Complex is superb.. yes.

However, graphically, it's repetitive and it has a lot of rough edges to it. It's not local multiplayer either and it can be finished pretty quickly. The level design is up and down and there are definately bugs.

Again, it's excellent - but you're falling into the camp of '2D - must be cheap to make therefore throwaway'.

Again - you're basing your opinions of this *purely* on the graphics... which are great anyway. Don't be fooled by the look of it, this will have cost a fair few bob to develop.

I dunno, I just don't like getting all jazzed up for a game that, in the end, I don't feel will leave a major impression on me. There's no doubt in my mind that this'll be a fun one; no 2D Mario game has been bad, and I fucking loved Super Mario Galaxy to death (One of my favorite games ever), I just kinda wish they did a bit more to differentiate itself from it's DS counterpart. I'll gladly pick this up for the Holidays and play the fuck out of it with my family and friends, and perhaps that's all I'll need; a good fun time with family and friends, to justify the purchase of the game. Perhaps the 360 has spoiled me into blowing $60 every couple months on some big budget adventure that'll last me months, maybe something simple and fun like this is just what I need to remember what I found fun in video games when I was a little kid. :lol:

NSMB was alright, nothing special, nothing memorable. Compare that to SMW, which to this day I could describe to you any number of levels, paths through the game, etc. etc. NSMB was a competent platformer that I did really enjoy playing once, that's the maximum praise I could possibly give it. I couldn't say I'd ever go back to it, or particularly want to whereas I've finished SMW and predecessors god knows how many times and still do on occasion.

If it's on the same sort of level as NSMB then it is fairly dismissable to be honest, and if it's not then naming it as it's been named is just plain stupid. It needs to be bigger, better, and just plain more for it to be the sort of game people want to be playing a long time from now. And if it isn't, well, then it's just another game to not get overly excited about. I'll still buy it, mind :lol: