New Super Mario Bros. Wii

roskelld

The first forest one, I think. There's a halfway bit with some logs over a key exit, and a bunch of caterpiller baddies. You jump on one (on a Yoshi with a cape), hop onto the next, and then hop onto the third. They're all so spread apart that they turn back to yellow when you jump on another one, so the score can rank up beyond what numbers are avaiable.

Donut Plains level 1 :omg:

LOVE the look of that second video :) One of the great things about SMW was it seemed to be designed for that (playing at full speed, holding down run and right) - you'd jump off a high platform at top speed and the next enemy would be placed in exactly the right place to bounce off despite being off screen at the moment you jumped. After a while it felt so natural to do the whole thing at full speed I always found it very bizarre when you'd see new players play it without using the run button. If this plays like that it'll be great :)

The former. Having played the first three worlds and a good dose of the multiplayer, I think a lot of people will be surprised at just how fantastic this is.

Oh, you young Cantonese Hero you! I'm so jealous right now.

There's no doubt in my mind that this is going to be as big as Galaxy - whichever way you want to spin it...

I doubt this will be as big as Mario Galaxy (Which turned out to be one of my favorite games ever), at least not press-wise. There's a chance it'll topple it in sales, because even my mom wants to buy this game, and I can imagine my current-Nintendo hating cousins liking this because it's "Just like the old games!".

I doubt this will be as big as Mario Galaxy (Which turned out to be one of my favorite games ever), at least not press-wise. There's a chance it'll topple it in sales, because even my mom wants to buy this game, and I can imagine my current-Nintendo hating cousins liking this because it's "Just like the old games!".

Really? From what i've been hearing from NoE, this is going to get an even bigger media presence than Wii Sports Resort.

So why go to the hassle of selling it, only to buy it again? Do you not play previously released games at all?

Wii Sports and Wii Play get used sometimes but nowhere near enough justifying keeping it when I can borrow my sister's to play the BIG titles Mario, Zelda and Pikmin next year.

I'm seriously considering selling my Wii after I play this. There's nothing outstanding out until Xmas 2010 after Mario is there?

that's a really daft thing to say...

Other M, Galaxy 2, Zelda and any surprises...

get Lost Winds Winter of the Melodias as well.

I don't know why that cover makes me think of the Marios of old. None of the NES titles had a similar cover, and either did any of the GB "Land" titles... but for some reason, it seems quite "nostalgic" having the red cover/border.

Maybe it was the red in the original Mario Bros... ;-)

mariobros.jpg

Talking of which, why don't they release the GBA Mario Bros game, but for the Wii (maybe bundling it in with this). They had it with god knows how many GBA games, but a 4 player version would tie in quite nicely to this.

Official Nintendo Magazine Review

96%

Snippets from the review.

"The game does start off as easy as its handheld sibling did (by the end of World 3 we had earned 68 lives), but it soon gets fiendishly difficult and will have even the most die-hard Mario players cursing at times."

The multiplayer elements don't get in the way of the game's hardcore design either, says ONM. "Instead of feeling like it was designed primarily for four players with the single-player mode as an afterthought, it seems like the opposite is true."

ONM states "This is the sort of game you bought a Nintendo console for. Not those daft mini-game collections that are considered a success if the controls actually work."