New Super Mario Bros. Wii

roskelld

I've pre-ordered this as well. Looks fantastic. With my crap skillz though I found NSMB DS a decent challenge, looks like the play for me mode might be kicked in here! Although thinking back it may have been finding all the routes/big coins which were the challenging part.

hope they allow you to save after each level like you could on NSMB once you'd finished it, it's a much more relaxing experience like that.

As I'd mentioned before, it would have been nice if they had used the Wario Land art style, maybe elaborated on the Yoshi's Island style. Hopefully it means they can release a few more of these before the end of the Wii, by re-using some of the assets. But funnily, I think SMW has dated the most out of all of the 2D Mario games. I don't know why.. it might just be a personal thing. It still looks good, but very early 90s!

you may have different ideas of how you would want this to look - but how can you possibly say it looks awful?

Awful was a bit extreme, I admit. But it just looks so... bland? I do appreciate that it was important for them to create a style that allowed for ease of recognition of the player characters, but a bit more visual flair could have been used. Sprites would also have been preferable.

It doesn't look awful, but 3D models just look terrible in comparison to even half decent sprites. If they replaced everything with sprites from Mario All Stars it'd still look a lot better.

Agreed, I wish it had those. Ah well, as long as it plays as well as the classics I'm still a happy camper.

Actually, watching it on the Gametrailers site (where the original preview was posted) it looks a LOT better than the Youtube version (which seems to have been taken down). The link was in The Sarge's post, but here it is again.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/preview-new-super/57913

The graphics are significantly better than the DS version, with it looking much more like SMW (and a bit like SMB). There's a lot more clarity, and it does look a lot less obviously 3D models (especially the characters and landscapes).

Even the map looks nice- which I thought looked pretty rank on the DS version.

I'd suggest you take a look at the above link, if you are a doubter of the graphics (which I certainly was).

There was a preview of this in this weeks episode of CO-OP

http://revision3.com/coop

Showed some footage I'd not seen before.

I'm really looking forward to the game, no doubt. But I can't help but feel that Nintendo have played a very safe move with the look and layout of the game. There looks to be little uniqueness beyond the 4 player element. The Map, Graphics and Music all look to be higher res versions of the DS counterpart.

It's not the leap of Mario Bros to Mario 3 or even Mario 3 to World, but a safer shuffle forward in the series.

I'm certainly just happy to see another 2D platforming romp featuring the Italian brothers for sure, but I can't help but feel that Nintendo have done that classic shuffle they always do, teasing us more about what could be than what is.

Like Animal Crossing, a game that has shuffled its way forward since the original N64 version, never really reinventing itself but slowly dripping a few new features in with each version.

Those two new videos posted have made me change my mind about the graphics. Although I'm a big fan of the various Mario sprites as opposed to the 3D models, Nintendo have managed to make this game look really charming and full of life. Not sure if it's just the improved backgrounds, but it looks lovely. A massive improvement on the DS games.

Chibi-Mario/Luigi look really cute. Oh, and 54s into the gametrailers video is just ;)

Coin battle looks like it's going to be fun. Looking forward to trying this out with friends when it's out. Perfect excuse to organize a gaming night.