New Super Mario Bros. Wii

roskelld

Massive fail if I can't use the classic, I'll be pretty displeased tbh - bought a Wii for this and would rather not play it using a mars bar.

You can't. You need the tilt controls on occasion, and shaking adds a bit of air to your jump (as well as activating the propeller helmet, among other things).

You can't. You need the tilt controls on occasion, and shaking adds a bit of air to your jump (as well as activating the propeller helmet, among other things).

Oh fuck off Nintendo, having to shake the controller for a spin attack in SMG was bad enough. Just give us a jump button that works like every other 2D Mario platformer.

That is displeasing. Why hasn't anyone mentioned that before?

Dunno. It's not like a Galaxy-esque thing - it's used at the apex of your leap, and Mario just does a little somersault. Can't say as I found much use for it in normal play - it's more for speedruns and clever stuff (if you watch that 'Super Skills' vid you should notice the difference between a normal jump and one with added waggle).

Waggle in Galaxy worked just fine, enough with the knee-jerk anti-motion control sentiments. At least wait until you've played it.

Rubbish, the option of having a button press would have been better. I found having to shake to controller uncomfortable, and in some cases nowhere near as precise as what I required.

Rubbish, the option of having a button press would have been better. I found having to shake to controller uncomfortable

I'm amazed by people who say that. Are we really a nation of feeble-wristed weaklings?

and in some cases nowhere near as precise as what I required.

I don't get that, either. When do you need it to be precise?

You'd think that gamers of all people would have strong enough wrists to flick the fucking controller slightly every now and again. Jesus, no wonder the first world is so fucking huge.

I'm amazed by people who say that. Are we really a nation of feeble-wristed weaklings?

Lighting the flames in Motlen Melty Galaxy or whatever it's called.

When ever you need to do a spin attack?

Can you honestly say that you never had the spin attack not work when you needed it, due to the wishywashy nature of motion controls? I know I did, and it was mindbendingly frustrating.

Compared to the pin sharp controls from the likes of SMW, anything that required use of motion control was rubbish and vague.

As a decorated member of the forum's notorious Wii hate brigade, even I can't say that the motion controls in Galaxy ever got in the way of the game. If anything, they added a bit to the proceedings. Although I would have liked a freely controllable camera, but cameracontrols is something Nintendo just seems to be pretty unable to implement properly in any of their games, regardless of the controller.

Can you honestly say that you never had the spin attack not work when you needed it, due to the wishywashy nature of motion controls?

No. There's a slight delay after you've done one, so you can't get by flailing like a mentalist, but I can honestly say that I never lost a slice of energy, let alone a life, because the motion controls didn't work.

As for lighting the flames on Melty Molten - that's nothing to do with the direction of the shake so much as the direction you're pointing in with the analogue stick. It's not as if you need to do a 'straight' throwing motion.

The button that means I don't have to shake the controller all the time.

I fear I am going to be dragged into another pointless debate as to the validity of motion controls, well I'm not. I didn't get on with stuff like the shake in SMG, so I fear for something similar in NSMB and it makes me worried as to how much I will enjoy the game vs. being annoyed at the controls. As somebody who has been an enormous fan of Mario since his days on the NES that is a bit sad.

The end.

Wii fans feel free to shake your nunchucks at me in impotent rage if it makes you feel better.

I've only played the first three worlds, but you never actually NEED that jump. I guess it depends on whether you want to use the propeller suit or not, or whether you want to pick up other players and throw them in the multiplayer modes.

I'm probably just getting worked up over nothing. But I am such a MASSIVE 2D Mario fanboy. I have been wanting a proper title since SMW on the SNES. Hearing all this talk about shake the controller to jump higher has me worried. :)

The button that means I don't have to shake the controller all the time.

I mean, literally, which one? A is jump, B is shoot star bit, C is camera, Z is duck. There's nothing left within easy reach that you could use for the spin-attack.

I've got nothing against customisable controls, though. Maybe you could emulate it on your swanky PC and assign the waggle to something else. :)

Can you honestly say that you never had the spin attack not work when you needed it, due to the wishywashy nature of motion controls? I know I did, and it was mindbendingly frustrating.

Compared to the pin sharp controls from the likes of SMW, anything that required use of motion control was rubbish and vague.

This is all nonsense.