New Super Mario Bros. Wii

roskelld

I have to admit, I do find it really frustrating at times. I tend to play in very short bursts- I get past a couple of levels then quick save it.

I think I find it frustrating in that it's really quite pure as a game. Make a mistake, and BANG.. you're gone. Most modern games will forgive you for your mistakes, but not this little fucker.

That's why I have to stop, I know that if I play any longer I will get annoyed with it. But it still is a really good game, it's just that it's really back to old skool gaming.... and it's reminded me how shit my reflexes are now!!!

This game is awesome. Sure it might be frustrating, but with 2 players its not that hard. Me and a mate finished it and are on our quest for finding all the extra coins.

Its MUCH better than the dissapointing DS version.

I've always wanted a challenging Mario game since i played Lost Levels.. this is good stuff!!

Am I the only one here who doesn't think NSMBWii is anything special? I played it at my friend's and I had quite a good time with it, but it really did feel like the DS game with new level designs and 4-player to me. A fun experience, but it really wasn't anything spectacular and without even purchasing it myself, I got bored of it within a couple of weeks. It kind of just felt like a throw away game that Nintendo could have done much more with if they put more time and money into it, but they didn't and it just settled as a decent 2D platformer. That's the way I see it, perhaps it completely transforms itself if you play it single-player, but from I played it felt exactly what it's title told me to feel how it felt like; New Super Mario Bros., only on the Wii.

I wasn't overly impressed with the level design either, it was fun, but it felt like a downgrade from Super Mario World, honestly. Same with the map screen too, not a big deal and it didn't have a big effect on me, but you'd think that Nintendo would be able to make the map a bit more intuitive like SMW's, or even SMB3's, instead of making another bland SMB1 remake map. I also was not impressed with the fact that every single level theme was cut and pasted from NSMB. Yes, I know that most Mario games go through the basics such as the grass stages, desert stages, etc, but after SMB1 each game had at least one odd-ball stage thrown in there. SMB3 had the giant themed worlds, SML2 had some pretty cool stages such as the space world and some others, etc. New Super Mario Bros. Wii is by no means a bad game, it just seems like Nintendo really didn't put much heart into it. It's a fun platformer by the end of the day, but to me that's all it'll ever be.

yeah after world 4/5 things definatly get better. i dont think its as good as mario world, but its still a very good mario game.

How so? I'm on world 4 currently, towards the end, and I'm actually finding it a little too difficult. I tend to be good at accurate platform jumps and linking killing enemies but the snow and water stuff just kills my lives off /10

Went back to SMB3 last night, this new one is good but the feeling of how tight the controls are in SMB3 is missing. Could be the animation of the run that i'm not used to... or indeed the wiiRemote not being especially nice to hold.

I think most of the people dismissing it as a up-scaled DS game haven't really played that far.

Get 4 or 5 worlds in, and the game really starts to show its colors

I wish they'd have started off the levels like that then.

And the poster who said it's not newbie friendly is absolutely correct. After the first few levels my gf had already used 3 continues and sworn a fair bit.

I think most of the people dismissing it as a up-scaled DS game haven't really played that far.

Get 4 or 5 worlds in, and the game really starts to show its colors

Played it the whole through.

Just didn't give a fuck, mostly. I think 'cause everyone on here was like 'oh man, you gotta see level 9-8' and so forth. And nothing really happened, I dunno. The last boss is p good, I'll say that, but I can't really give it amazing praise. The music is totally abhorrent, too, horrid stuff.

Played it the whole through.

Just didn't give a fuck, mostly. I think 'cause everyone on here was like 'oh man, you gotta see level 9-8' and so forth. And nothing really happened, I dunno. The last boss is p good, I'll say that, but I can't really give it amazing praise. The music is totally abhorrent, too, horrid stuff.

Lol_wut_pack.jpg

I love the main theme... and the way the baddies dance in time to it

I like that too, but I'm only halfway through world 2 but I'm already sick of the "PAH!" sound. The music is totally iffy in this, I'm with Kelthink.

Also, Mario's inertia just feels a bit strange to me. I'll get used to it no doubt, but something I can't quite put my finger on just feels a little off about this game.

The music is okay, again, I didn't like how most of the music was either reused or remixed from NSMB on the DS, though I did like the old school remixes and some of the new tunes like the song that plays in underwater levels. But yeah, the game is fun it's just extremely underwhelming and felt like a bit of a throwaway game to me.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to pop in and tell everyone that I've been on a mini-2D-Mario love-in over the past couple of weeks that has resulted in me buying this game. I've always liked the 3D Marios, but have struggled with the 2D games because they just didn't get on with me.

That was until NSMB on DS just clicked a couple of weeks back. My girlfriend was playing it a lot and would always ask me to help her out on the tougher levels. Over time it just sucked me in. Going through finding all the coins has been great. So a few weeks back we decided to get the Wii version so we could play it through in co-op.

I think it's brilliant. We just finished a massive 8 and half hour session going from World 3 to the end of 8. It can be massively frustrating at times but overall it works really well. It is very similar to the DS version, but I really like the straight-forward nature of the game.

Gonna look at getting back into the SNES ones now. Is the a perceived order of quality when it comes to the older ones. What's considered the best?

I look forward to doing the gold coin challenges in one-player once we've finished.

Gonna look at getting back into the SNES ones now. Is the a perceived order of quality when it comes to the older ones. What's considered the best?

IMO

Yoshi's Island <=> SMW > SMB3 > SMB1 > SMB2

If it's a SNES you are buying, get a copy of Yoshi's Island and a copy of SMW+Super Mario All Stars (SMB1 2, 3 and lost levels) which all came on one cart!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I had to bail out of this at World 6. Was just so dull.

Of my top ten of games ever, various Mario games occupy about half the spots. But I just couldn't take this, I've never seen Mario feel so recycled as this.
Even the DS original, quite liked it, 100%'d it twice. Felt nice and lightweight with the right amount of nostaligia.

Guess it doesn't help that I have Super Mario Galaxy 2 waiting to start, I thought I'd have a blast with this beforehand, but no. Just popped in Galaxy 2, played 20 mins and it's amazing.

Is New.U a lot better than New.Wii?