New Super Mario Bros. Wii

roskelld

Maybe part of the 'backlash' stems from the fact that traditionally Nintendo aren't like other developers, they don't just release iterative sequels to their major selling game series. Now on first impressions, these latest Mario games don't seem to be that different from the last installments, hence a certain disappointment. The thing which used to seperate Nintendo from everyone else seems to be slowly fading away, Wii Fit+ and WSR aren't considered by even Nintendo to be worthy of being calling full fledged sequels.

have you SEEN WSR? It looks amazing... leagues and leagues ahead of WiiSports.

Maybe part of the 'backlash' stems from the fact that traditionally Nintendo aren't like other developers, they don't just release iterative sequels to their major selling game series. Now on first impressions, these latest Mario games don't seem to be that different from the last installments, hence a certain disappointment. The thing which used to seperate Nintendo from everyone else seems to be slowly fading away, Wii Fit+ and WSR aren't considered by even Nintendo to be worthy of being calling full fledged sequels.

Eh? Have you seen Wii Sports Resort? And what about Majora's Mask? Many people on here claim it's their favourite Zelda.

I bet you're looking forward to the continuing story of Mario's search for the princess. I heard that this time she might be in another castle!

That's probably the worst zing anyone has attempted on this forum.

Mass Effect 2 is a perfect example - "It's like the first one, but you can now skip the shit conversations like they promised last time!!!"

What's really amazing is that people scream for more and more content on increasingly complex machines and then act astonished when companies have to reuse assets or engines. It's just reality biting.

And we want it faster, too. Gamers in general are massively greedy, and contrary buggers at times. We want loads of games and then whinge when we get a week where there's three or four that we're interested in. We complain that we don't have enough time to really play games, but then we're off buying the latest thing instead of finishing what we've already got. The internet's partly to blame for this - it's turned us into a nation of ADHD-sufferers. There's always some kind of distraction to take our mind off what we're supposed to be doing.

And we want it faster, too. Gamers in general are massively greedy, and contrary buggers at times. We want loads of games and then whinge when we get a week where there's three or four that we're interested in. We complain that we don't have enough time to really play games, but then we're off buying the latest thing instead of finishing what we've already got. The internet's partly to blame for this - it's turned us into a nation of ADHD-sufferers. There's always some kind of distraction to take our mind off what we're supposed to be doing.

The truest of true words ever spoken on this forum.

That's probably the worst zing anyone has attempted on this forum.

Hey kid - you missed the point. But I'm going to assume you're not an idiot and you did so deliberately.

I'm looking forward to games like Mass Effect 2 and Modern Warfare 2 in part because they continue the storylines I've already invested in - the same way I looked forward to, say, Terminator 2: Judgement Day. Those games will have the gameplay I know and love, improved for the sequel in the same way Mario Galaxy 2 will have improved jumping and whatnot. They'll also have characters I care about and a context to the gameplay. And superior graphics of course, but that's a cheap shot to make against a console that's not supposed to rely on graphical power.

You might say that a Mario game doesn't need characters, plot or context. Shooters don't need those things either, as games like Serious Sam or the enduringly popular Doom have shown. But Modern Warfare has them all in addition to fantastic gameplay and some of the best online gaming out there. The sequel's going to build upon that. You might say that all that stuff gets in the way, but without it the COD4 nuke setpiece and aftermath would have just been a big empty bang.

Mario games make up for these shortfallings with innovation, the way every other game does. A week ago you'd all have been saying that you can't wait to see what new stuff Nintendo has up its sleeve. Now you've seen it it you're saying new stuff doesn't matter, gamers are greedy, developers should reuse assets, and a Super Mario Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii are as worthy sequels as Super Mario 3.

With that kind of attitude on display from their rabid fans I guess they don't need to innovate. Ever.

Hey kid - you missed the point. But I'm going to assume you're not an idiot and you did so deliberately.

I'm looking forward to games like Mass Effect 2 and Modern Warfare 2 in part because they continue the storylines I've already invested in - the same way I looked forward to, say, Terminator 2: Judgement Day. Those games will have the gameplay I know and love, improved for the sequel in the same way Mario Galaxy 2 will have improved jumping and whatnot. They'll also have characters I care about and a context to the gameplay. And superior graphics of course, but that's a cheap shot to make against a console that's not supposed to rely on graphical power.

You might say that a Mario game doesn't need characters, plot or context. Shooters don't need those things either, as games like Serious Sam or the enduringly popular Doom have shown. But Modern Warfare has them all in addition to fantastic gameplay and some of the best online gaming out there. The sequel's going to build upon that. You might say that all that stuff gets in the way, but without it the COD4 nuke setpiece and aftermath would have just been a big empty bang.

Mario games make up for these shortfallings with innovation, the way every other game does. A week ago you'd all have been saying that you can't wait to see what new stuff Nintendo has up its sleeve. Now you've seen it it you're saying new stuff doesn't matter, gamers are greedy, developers should reuse assets, and a Super Mario Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii are as worthy sequels as Super Mario 3.

With that kind of attitude on display from their rabid fans I guess they don't need to innovate. Ever.

the story in Mario Galaxy was excellent - and proper 'mature'. Edge described it as one of the best stories ever told in a game... it also had a completely shocking 'twist' that, if you're a big sap like me, was genuinely sad.

A week ago you'd all have been saying that you can't wait to see what new stuff Nintendo has up its sleeve. Now you've seen it it you're saying new stuff doesn't matter, gamers are greedy, developers should reuse assets, and a Super Mario Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii are as worthy sequels as Super Mario 3.

But no-one IS saying that.

You'd help your case if you didn't feel the need to insult people in every post, you total weapon.

So you're saying that so long as the game continues a story it's irrelevant whether or not it features any truly new gameplay? Why is it worse to release a game which is a sequel but features entirely new ideas for levels?

In fact, why isn't Super Mario Galaxy 2 "new stuff"? Because it has a number in the title? What an odd justification that was.

So you're saying that so long as the game continues a story it's irrelevant whether or not it features any truly new gameplay? Why is it worse to release a game which is a sequel but features entirely new ideas for levels?

In fact, why isn't Super Mario Galaxy 2 "new stuff"? Because it has a number in the title? What an odd justification that was.

I strongly suspect that SMG will continue the story of Rosalina

If you haven't been through the SMG story - watch this...

have tissues handy.

I don't care about the story at all. If they want to do a new game that expands on the ideas from the first one or adds entirely new ones rather than completely scrapping it in favour of something totally different then that's fine by me, and I suspect it's fine by most people who enjoyed SMG.

It's not like they totally exhausted the things that can be done in a platformer which uses gravity and planets.

But no-one IS saying that.

Yes they are. See?

Gamers in general are massively greedy
What's really amazing is that people scream for more and more content on increasingly complex machines and then act astonished when companies have to reuse assets or engines.
You'd help your case if you didn't feel the need to insult people in every post, you total weapon.

Oh I'm sorry - I wasn't aware that 'rabid Nintendo fan' was an insult.

I'm sorry for insulting you, everyone. Especially ScottR and Ramone - you're certainly not rabid Nintendo fans.

Hey mister, your straw man's on fire!

Yes they are. See?

Well firstly you've taken that opening quote completely out of context - that was just a general observation about us gamers as a whole. The second one is saying that it shouldn't be a surprise that assets get reused given that people want sequels practically before the first game is out the door, not that Nintendo should always reuse assets.

Now to go back to what you originally said:

A week ago you'd all have been saying that you can't wait to see what new stuff Nintendo has up its sleeve. Now you've seen it it you're saying new stuff doesn't matter, gamers are greedy, developers should reuse assets, and a Super Mario Galaxy 2 and New Super Mario Bros. Wii are as worthy sequels as Super Mario 3.

Now can you address the other points, please? Namely where people say new stuff doesn't matter and that those two games are as worthy as Super Mario 3? Don't worry, I'll answer that for you: no, you can't. Because no-one said that. As you well know because you chose to ignore it in your last post.

Oh I'm sorry - I wasn't aware that 'rabid Nintendo fan' was an insult.

So you'd happily be called 'rabid', would you? :ph34r: Jesus.

And as for FIFA, man they are ridiculous, they have made over 2000 of them.

tumbleweed.jpg

FIFA 94

Fif94.jpg

15 years later...

FIFA 10

ss_preview_FIFA10_LALIGUE_02_WM.jpg.jpg

Now can you address the other points, please? Namely where people say new stuff doesn't matter and that those two games are as worthy as Super Mario 3? Don't worry, I'll answer that for you: no, you can't. Because no-one said that. As you well know because you chose to ignore it in your last post.
Something doesn't have to be cutting edge or even new to look good.

The Mario 3 part wasn't supposed to be a quote - it was an extrapolation from the number of people who are content with both of these games as same-generation sequels. Super Mario 3 was same-generation. So was Yoshi's Island, for that matter.

So you'd happily be called 'rabid', would you? :ph34r: Jesus.

Sure, if it was in reference to something I loved.

Saying something 'doesn't have to be cutting edge to look good' is quite different from saying 'new stuff doesn't matter', fella.

The Mario 3 part wasn't supposed to be a quote - it was an extrapolation from the number of people who are content with both of these games as same-generation sequels. Super Mario 3 was same-generation. So was Yoshi's Island, for that matter.

Yeah, they were. But no-one's saying they're as worthy. They are same-generation sequels, there's no denying that. But it's quite a leap to suggest that people are saying they're as worthy as those old classics at any point.

Who knows? NSMB4Wii and SMG2 might end up being every bit as wonderful as SMB3 and Yoshi's Island. Nobody's saying that they definitely will, or even probably will, but they might. Of course they probably won't, and we won't know whether they do or not until we get a chance to actually play them. But this hasn't stopped people writing them off already.