New Super Mario Bros. Wii

roskelld

And here's the thing. I don't come here as often as I used to. Why? Because I feel the fun has been sapped out of gaming and, I think, this place saps the fun out of them like the best of them. I prefer not knowing much about my games now, just like my Spectrum days, y'know. I pick and choose my own fun - If I think it's shit then, hey, I'll try something else. Of course, it's not easy to stay away from places like this and reading Edge and such like because, well, we're curious.

It's not obvious. It's most likely the reason. It would be quite hard to disguise lag in a game like this.

Online hasn't been a big priority for Nintendo. They aren't going to change the game design to include it.

(Bit late on this)

I agree with the second point, I just don't buy it's got anything to do with lag, being that there's other online games on the market and has been for years that are way more demanding than this is going to be.

(Bit late on this)

I agree with the second point, I just don't buy it's got anything to do with lag, being that there's other online games on the market and has been for years that are way more demanding than this is going to be.

Most games have very good ways to hide lag. Smash Bros has canned animations for every attack. This gives a second or so for the system to work out if there was a hit etc.

Most games like shooters and driving games have very little direct physical interaction between characters; and what you see on screen involves a lot of guesswork. Other players avatars are not necessarily where you see them. The information on your machine might be a second out of date and what you see includes some interpolation and may be wrong. In Mario Kart you can cross the line first on your screen but still come second once all the information arrives.

This game is very quick and involves a lot of physical jostling without canned animations to delay the outcome. I think lag will be a significant issue and the game would likely need changing a fair bit to hide it.

"Demanding" isn't always about polygons and stuff. This game, from what I've seen is more 'demanding' of fast communication than most others - so online would be tricky.

Sorry if this has been posted yet but:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Gamespot Live Demo

So after the first level they show off world 7. World 7 rocks. Reminds me of Gears of War. That is all.

right - anyone claiming lazy update need to watch that video and the last 5 minutes or so.
That just looks brilliant. Can't wait.
That does look brilliant. I'm going to have to spend the next few months trying to make some friends now, I think
Fantastic. The wife's a fan of NSMB so this will likely be one of very few games I can play with her.

And yep, that level does look brilliant.

With that kind of attitude on display from their rabid fans I guess they don't need to innovate. Ever.

:(

I wish platformers would move away from this "themed" levels thing (like the snow level shown in the Gamespot video) and instead have levels which move from one kind of environment to another within one level. I'm a bit bored of the fire/ice/grassy/castle type divisions myself; I'd like to see levels that mix lots of different environment types together. It's just an idea. Maybe it's a rubbish one.

I really, really hope this game isn't too short. There would be no excuse for that, given the fact its graphics look about DS-level.

I wish platformers would move away from this "themed" levels thing (like the snow level shown in the Gamespot video) and instead have levels which move from one kind of environment to another within one level. I'm a bit bored of the fire/ice/grassy/castle type divisions myself; I'd like to see levels that mix lots of different environment types together. It's just an idea. Maybe it's a rubbish one.

I really, really hope this game isn't too short. There would be no excuse for that, given the fact its graphics look about DS-level.

I think you're missing the point a bit, its meant to be a retro fan service rather than a completely innovative next gen sequel.

And for me, as a graphic artist/designer type fellow, the graphics look awesome.

it's about the only concern I have - if the game is done in such a way where a party of 4 could get through the main 'path' in an evening...

alternatively, 4 swords took me and my mates about 6 days to finish (spread over as many weeks - AMAZING STUFF)

to get the wii audience playing more 'core' type games...

Yes - it is the 'upstream' game designed to transition 'casuals' from the likes of Wii Sports up to more traditional gaming experiences by tagging into the enormous success of New Super Mario Bros DS.

One of the fondest memories I have of playing on my NES was battling my brother in Mario Bros., which was included in the original Super Mario Bros. 3 as the 'vs. mode'. Y'know, the true original Mario game where one of you is Mario and the other is Luigi and you've got to work together to clear the level while at the same time jumping on each other's heads and diverting angry blue crabs into each other's paths and hitting the POW block at precisely the second that your partner's about to kick over a toppled fly.

NSMBWii looks like the evolutionary pinnacle of that same, glorious game mechanic. It looks bloody marvelous. Lots are complaining that Nintendo are not innovating any more, being accused of laziness or whatever, but what these people are failing to see is that Nintendo have, with this game, dug down 25 years into their past to their 2D roots, to simply push a genre that they themselves created as far as it will fucking go. Not in terms of whizz-bang graphics or high-score leaderboards or online ranked matches with voice chat, but purely in terms of giving you a bloody good time on a disc, a game that's guaranteed to have been designed around having four people playing on the same sofa as you, not in different countries, so you can share the laughs and punch the person who just pushed you down a hole and jolly well have fun.

People were saying that the 2D scene was abandoned too early, that there's a goldmine of unexplored potential in the SNES-era platformer. Call me an Nintendo apologist if you must, but it seems obvious to me that Nintendo agree.

There are apparently 80 stages in the game, and it looks more difficult than NSMB Wii, with longer levels to boot (based on the footage shown so far). I don't think it'll be the longest game ever, but it wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo added some extra bonus modes or minigames or something to give it a bit more longevity.

One of the fondest memories I have of playing on my NES was battling my brother in Mario Bros., which was included in the original Super Mario Bros. 3 as the 'vs. mode'. Y'know, the true original Mario game where one of you is Mario and the other is Luigi and you've got to work together to clear the level while at the same time jumping on each other's heads and diverting angry blue crabs into each other's paths and hitting the POW block at precisely the second that your partner's about to kick over a toppled fly.

NSMBWii looks like the evolutionary pinnacle of that same, glorious game mechanic. It looks bloody marvelous. Lots are complaining that Nintendo are not innovating any more, being accused of laziness or whatever, but what these people are failing to see is that Nintendo have, with this game, dug down 25 years into their past to their 2D roots, to simply push a genre that they themselves created as far as it will fucking go. Not in terms of whizz-bang graphics or high-score leaderboards or online ranked matches with voice chat, but purely in terms of giving you a bloody good time on a disc, a game that's guaranteed to have been designed around having four people playing on the same sofa as you, not in different countries, so you can share the laughs and punch the person who just pushed you down a hole and jolly well have fun.

People were saying that the 2D scene was abandoned too early, that there's a goldmine of unexplored potential in the SNES-era platformer. Call me an Nintendo apologist if you must, but it seems obvious to me that Nintendo agree.

Well said. I agree totally.

To me, this is one of the main reasons why I wouldn't want the game to go online:

Griefing

In Left4Dead I've seen people slam the door in my face at the end of a chapter, so I'm stuck outside and can't get in. I've been shot in the face by team killers, I've had people steal medkits when I've been near death and that game was designed for online play.

When you design a game with actual griefing in mind, similar to four swords, you allow other players to hassle you and act like a dick. What I've learn't from online play is that it lacks any social grace, so you can treat you fellow player like a piece of shit because you're not his friend and you're not sitting next to him. When you sit next to a player and act like a dick there is context, you can lean across and grab his pad, start shouting at his behaviour and generally have a good laugh, because of the trust and friendship.

Look, I'm not saying that this is enough of a reason to remove online play, but if Four Swords was online, it would be frustrating to the point of throwing pads around the room and snapping gamecube discs in half.

To me, this is one of the main reasons why I wouldn't want the game to go online:

Griefing

In Left4Dead I've seen people slam the door in my face at the end of a chapter, so I'm stuck outside and can't get in. I've been shot in the face by team killers, I've had people steal medkits when I've been near death and that game was designed for online play.

When you design a game with actual griefing in mind, similar to four swords, you allow other players to hassle you and act like a dick. What I've learn't from online play is that it lacks any social grace, so you can treat you fellow player like a piece of shit because you're not his friend and you're not sitting next to him. When you sit next to a player and act like a dick there is context, you can lean across and grab his pad, start shouting at his behaviour and generally have a good laugh, because of the trust and friendship.

Look, I'm not saying that this is enough of a reason to remove online play, but if Four Swords was online, it would be frustrating to the point of throwing pads around the room and snapping gamecube discs in half.

Leave feedback if you meet people like that, especially in L4D, then get some forum gamer tags and enjoy some great games. Besides i think the new mario game is a bit more everyone out for themselves.

Griefing

Nintendo does that friend code thing, right? So their online services are primarily about connecting with people you know anyway.

Not in terms of whizz-bang graphics or high-score leaderboards or online ranked matches with voice chat, but purely in terms of giving you a bloody good time on a disc, a game that's guaranteed to have been designed around having four people playing on the same sofa as you, not in different countries, so you can share the laughs and punch the person who just pushed you down a hole and jolly well have fun.

Adding an online co-op mode would not take away from this for those that want local play.

Griefing

When you design a game with actual griefing in mind, similar to four swords, you allow other players to hassle you and act like a dick. What I've learn't from online play is that it lacks any social grace, so you can treat you fellow player like a piece of shit because you're not his friend and you're not sitting next to him.

I've played many online game by hooking up with people from this forum who are very gentlemanly or show good sportsmanship. I've even added to my friends list, a few randoms that have been a pleasure to play online with, imagine that. Not all people are arseholes online, most yes, not all.

http://www.digitalchumps.com/video-gallery...link&id=255

http://www.digitalchumps.com/video-gallery...link&id=257

http://www.digitalchumps.com/video-gallery...link&id=258

So I gotta be honest, these videos are making the game look like a lot of fun. It also looks delightfully difficult too. NSMB was really easy and threw 1-ups at you nonstop, this looks like there will be a fair share of difficult levels with a considerably less amount of 1-ups, which I like.

• 3 months later...